Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 05:24 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
This is an absurd statement. I know three young people who moved to San Francisco last August. They are amazed by the city's beauty, excitement, and endless cultural attractions. One of them said she's never had the wealth of choices when it comes to evening/weekend adventures - and she's lived in three major American cities, including NYC. The sheer amount of stuff you can do on weekends away from the city is staggering. From the wine country to Yosemite, from the wild and still empty coastal areas, to Tahoe, these young people say it will take them YEARS to explore it all.

So -- no. Plenty of things do see and do in and around San Francisco. Even during the winter from hell.

As for your comment to the overreaction to Covid. Bless your lucky heart. How cushy for you that you didn't lose a loved one to Covid.
Not according to the OP. He seems to think no current residents could possibly feel this way and that the real truth comes from politicians

And as a former resident, he needs to educate everyone. Never let a 'crisis' go to waste

Last edited by blameyourself; 04-15-2023 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 06:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
This is an absurd statement. I know three young people who moved to San Francisco last August. They are amazed by the city's beauty, excitement, and endless cultural attractions. One of them said she's never had the wealth of choices when it comes to evening/weekend adventures - and she's lived in three major American cities, including NYC. The sheer amount of stuff you can do on weekends away from the city is staggering. From the wine country to Yosemite, from the wild and still empty coastal areas, to Tahoe, these young people say it will take them YEARS to explore it all.

So -- no. Plenty of things do see and do in and around San Francisco. Even during the winter from hell.

As for your comment to the overreaction to Covid. Bless your lucky heart. How cushy for you that you didn't lose a loved one to Covid.
I was in Berkeley during the late 60's and 70's and it REALLY is amazing what human being accept as normal after being exposed to it day after day.

My thought was this was nuts and it can't continue, but it did.

Simply because like those THREE YOUNG PEOPLE you accept it as "normal". So did the Russians under the Soviets as well as the Germans under the Hitler.

Yep, Napa is still there and it will take a lot of work to destroy the twin to Yosemite Valley, though the city of San Francisco did manage to do it by flooding the Tuolumne Yosemite.

The voters of San Francisco voted to continue to flood the twin to Yosemite Valley. Cheap electricity was worth it to them over restoring one of the world's wonders. It was normal to them.

https://hetchhetchy.org/

Old 04-15-2023, 06:26 PM

406 posts, read 450,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Never let a 'crisis' go to waste
In truth, San Francisco has a lot of problems that make good, hysterical newspaper copy, especially in right wing publications. That doesn't mean that the entire city is a cesspool of misery. And that doesn't mean that San Francisco is alone in dealing with crime, homelessness and economic inequity. These are issues plaguing every major metropolitan area today. And all these other metropolitan areas -- well, they don't have an ounce of San Francisco's charm, energy, scenic beauty and - I'll bite - promise.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was in Berkeley during the late 60's and 70's and it REALLY is amazing what human being accept as normal after being exposed to it day after day.

My thought was this was nuts and it can't continue, but it did.

Simply because like those THREE YOUNG PEOPLE you accept it as "normal". So did the Russians under the Soviets as well as the Germans under the Hitler.

Yep, Napa is still there and it will take a lot of work to destroy the twin to Yosemite Valley, though the city of San Francisco did manage to do it by flooding the Tuolumne Yosemite.

The voters of San Francisco voted to continue to flood the twin to Yosemite Valley. Cheap electricity was worth it to them over restoring one of the world's wonders. It was normal to them.

https://hetchhetchy.org/
These three young people are all educated professionals in their mid-30s, and beyond. They do not regard SF's problems as "normal" - they do regard them as solvable. There is a difference. Yes, California's water wars were - and remain - ugly. No one is claiming otherwise.

But just wait until climate change starts pushing the rest of the country to make dramatically difficult decision. Hech hetchy will seem like kids' stuff.

Finally - if you're in all seriousness comparing San Francisco politics to Hitler's and the Soviets'.... you're either delusional, or simply shockingly uneducated about Hitler and the Soviets. I'll just leave it at that. Anything else would be a waste of energy and time.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
In truth, San Francisco has a lot of problems that make good, hysterical newspaper copy, especially in right wing publications. That doesn't mean that the entire city is a cesspool of misery. And that doesn't mean that San Francisco is alone in dealing with crime, homelessness and economic inequity. These are issues plaguing every major metropolitan area today. And all these other metropolitan areas -- well, they don't have an ounce of San Francisco's charm, energy, scenic beauty and - I'll bite - promise.
Yep. Any native of the city also know that many of the problems happen to be concentrated in specific areas. The fact that it happens to be many areas tourists go seems to play into the sensationalism.

I can't help but question why someone would be so obsessed with an area that they no longer frequent. I get back to San Francisco once a quarter and happen to see things like your young friends (I also still own property in the SF metroplex). Admittedly, I'm not the type of person that looks at a glass and always say it's half empty. In my 50+ years of living in San Francisco, I can't recall being bothered by much of what the OP consider major issues. I also never noticed much of a difference whether there was a surplus or deficit on a budget (most people I knew also didn't).

Old 04-15-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Are you for real?! WTF does the Germans under Hitler have to do with the topic at hand?

Old 04-15-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
These three young people are all educated professionals in their mid-30s, and beyond. They do not regard SF's problems as "normal" - they do regard them as solvable. There is a difference. Yes, California's water wars were - and remain - ugly. No one is claiming otherwise.

But just wait until climate change starts pushing the rest of the country to make dramatically difficult decision. Hech hetchy will seem like kids' stuff.

Finally - if you're in all seriousness comparing San Francisco politics to Hitler's and the Soviets'.... you're either delusional, or simply shockingly uneducated about Hitler and the Soviets. I'll just leave it at that. Anything else would be a waste of energy and time.
Nope, not uneducated about the Soviets and Hitler. They killed off almost ALL the people (but 2) on both SIDES of my family tree.

Yes, I lived in Berkeley for almost a DECADE.

Yes, San Francisco's politics are JUST LIKE Hitler's and the Soviets. The difference is that San Francisco is Russia in 1916 and 1917. Maybe 1921 without the war.

Humans are great at making excuses and accepting things as "normal". That is why the Soviets managed to kill 100 million people and Hitler convinced Germans that killing Jews was "normal" and a good idea.

That is also why the city of San Francisco flooded the twin to Yosemite Valley and now claims it is "normal". The twin to the most unique glacial valley in the world, lies flooded by the city of San Francisco in a NATIONAL PARK.

And the city of San Francisco does NOT want to make it right.

Presidents Reagan and Bush both offered water and electricity to make up for restoring Hetch Hetchy.

The city of San Francisco said NO. They would rather nature's version of the Sistein Chapel remain flooded.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:08 PM

My mother lived -- and barely survived - under Hitler in a nation he overran. Later she lived (me too!) under the Soviets in a nation THEY overran. I can assure you - San Francisco's politics do not resemble either.

(Oh why, why do I feed the troll? Sorry everyone.)

Old 04-15-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
My mother lived -- and barely survived - under Hitler in a nation he overran. Later she lived (me too!) under the Soviets in a nation THEY overran. I can assure you - San Francisco's politics do not resemble either.

(Oh why, why do I feed the troll? Sorry everyone.)
Talk to your mother.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Talk to your mother.
I did. And she berated me for feeding a troll. At 89 she suffers NO fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland