Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 12:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,500,049 times

Advertisements

I am glad they caught this scum. The Contra Costa DA is progressive but not an extremist like SF's Chesa Boudin was, so hopefully she'll throw the book at him. At least she's a woman and can appreciate the seriousness of a sexual crime of this nature.

The incident happened between the Richmond and El Cerrito del Norte stations. This is a lightly used segment of the route, as most people get on/off at El Cerrito del Norte. Del Norte, which is coincidentally my home station, is the main station for anyone who needs to come to/from the north (Pinole, Hercules, and so on). My fiancee and I were surprised to hear about this happening during the middle of the day, but honestly, ever since COVID started it isn't that surprising. The problems with BART and its pro-crime management have been exacerbated ever since. It's better now than this time last year, but the experience is a long way from where it was in 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 12:26 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,012 times
It seems like the BART police have become less pro-active about keeping the rail system safe ever since the Oscar Grant shooting incident. Did they ever rename the Fruitvale Station after him?

Old 08-23-2022, 09:16 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
It seems like the BART system has gone severely downhill in terms of safety!

Old 08-23-2022, 09:45 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,838 times
Hearing and seeing these types of stories is making me become more of a believer in people carrying firearms. In a setting such as this, the moment a man lays his hands on a lady, he is shot and killed. It's justified in that the lady's life may be in danger. The justice system seems to be permitting these types to roam about the cities after committing offenses which is mind boggling. In my more perfect world, repeated violent crime warrants 20 plus years behind bars.

Having a huge project such as BART no longer being useable for average citizenry is too big a waste to permit it to continue. If the US is to continue to be leader in the world, it will need to be able to have these types of projects be successful.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:52 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
It seems like the BART police have become less pro-active about keeping the rail system safe ever since the Oscar Grant shooting incident. Did they ever rename the Fruitvale Station after him?
Time to bring back Dirty Harry Callahan!

Old 08-23-2022, 02:07 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Hearing and seeing these types of stories is making me become more of a believer in people carrying firearms. In a setting such as this, the moment a man lays his hands on a lady, he is shot and killed. It's justified in that the lady's life may be in danger. The justice system seems to be permitting these types to roam about the cities after committing offenses which is mind boggling. In my more perfect world, repeated violent crime warrants 20 plus years behind bars.

Having a huge project such as BART no longer being useable for average citizenry is too big a waste to permit it to continue. If the US is to continue to be leader in the world, it will need to be able to have these types of projects be successful.
Or, more likely, she pulls her gun out of her purse, he wrests it from her and kills her.

It’s a nasty, mean, horrific, disgusting, shameful event. No argument here in the slightest. Anything the attacker gets in a conviction won’t be enough. Deserves to get shot. Sure. But plenty likely anyone mean and nasty enough to do what he attempted, is meaner and nastier by far than who he sized up as his victim.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:06 PM

580 posts, read 514,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Not really. It's been a long gradual slide. The anti police sentiment, even from middle class white people, is much higher than anywhere in CA. The Bay Area is just a different beast.That and oppressive cost of living makes police recruitment and retention difficult.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Or, more likely, she pulls her gun out of her purse, he wrests it from her and kills her.

It’s a nasty, mean, horrific, disgusting, shameful event. No argument here in the slightest. Anything the attacker gets in a conviction won’t be enough. Deserves to get shot. Sure. But plenty likely anyone mean and nasty enough to do what he attempted, is meaner and nastier by far than who he sized up as his victim.
No, 'Mutt, youi're not getting the concept. The idea is, if other people carry firearms, the moment someone initiates an assault on a damsel, Dudley Doowright of the Canadian mounties, or his US cousin, will pull out their concealed piece, and will rescue the lady by making dead meat of the assailant. And hopefully, in the process, Dudley won't accidentally have shot the lady after the bullet passes through the perp, or won't miss his target and kill the wrong person, only to have the perp lunge at the well-intentioned shooter.

It's a great concept, if you believe in TV and the movies.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:14 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, 'Mutt, youi're not getting the concept. The idea is, if other people carry firearms, the moment someone initiates an assault on a damsel, Dudley Doowright of the Canadian mounties, or his US cousin, will pull out their concealed piece, and will rescue the lady by making dead meat of the assailant. And hopefully, in the process, Dudley won't accidentally have shot the lady after the bullet passes through the perp, or won't miss his target and kill the wrong person, only to have the perp lunge at the well-intentioned shooter.

It's a great concept, if you believe in TV and the movies.
Oh I got the whole concept, Ruth … I just went for the Cliff Notes abridged version.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:19 PM

798 posts, read 503,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I don’t know…
As a local that has worked in The City for my career it wasn’t never this bad before these last few years.
It gets worse and worse every year.
I have only personally seen the needles these last few years.
Once again I’m a local or was until very recently.
I still have holdings in the BA and meetings I need to deal with every several weeks so I’m in town quite often.

Its nice that they do have a very convenient stop at the airports and that really is appreciated but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that didn’t or couldn’t understand or handle the risks.

Meaning, I wouldn’t ever let a female member of my family ride it alone.
My son can handle himself much better than the people that are easy prey so the predators go for the easy marks.

It wasn’t always like this.
It’s been unpleasant for a long time but doable.
It is really getting out of hand now.
My wife was even accosted on it 5-6 years ago.
Why should the bad guys stop if they don’t get punished for their bad behavior?

It’s not as crazy as some say it is but it’s getting really bad.
I honestly find Tijuana much safer and less of a threat than riding bart any day of the week.

On bart you maybe could get help 10 minutes later.
That’s just not good enough.

Our labor agreement allows for free bart or free parking and most of my co workers won’t even ride bart for free.
That sucks. I am waiting for the same issues to crop up here where I have lived in the same house for 19 years. Here in San Diego, Ca we have MTS buses and the trolleys to use. They take security very seriously here regarding mass transit. I have a monthly bus pass starting in September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland