Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 2,196 times

Advertisements

Hi!

The reason of this thread is that I cannot find a post where I got a rough idea of the utility bills per mont in the area. I am planning to relocate in Menlo Park, Stanford or Palo Alto after the summer. I will be living alone and very likely in a very small apartment .

I have checked websites,etc but they are not very accurate, so I would like to hear from your experience . How much the electricity bill is?Internet? Water?etc - I know sometimes the landlor pick up some of the bills, so any any tips,etc. You know, a rough estimation will be really appreciated

Thanks!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 08:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It can't be too much for a studio apartment or a small 1-br. apt. It depends in part on how much water you use (shower, baths), if there are heat waves, would you be using A/C? Will you want cable TV, which you can get in a package with internet, otherwise, if you don't watch TV, there are other options for internet. It depends partly on what amenities you want.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:18 AM

Thanks Ruth - I was thinking to get the basics and then see what I would add from there. For example, I would not use the A/C, not cable TV,etc. Just electricity, water and internet look the very basic things to me. I was wondering if I could get those bills around 100$/150$ per month or it is quite unrealistic.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher1923 View Post
Thanks Ruth - I was thinking to get the basics and then see what I would add from there. For example, I would not use the A/C, not cable TV,etc. Just electricity, water and internet look the very basic things to me. I was wondering if I could get those bills around 100$/150$ per month or it is quite unrealistic.
You could get that in the summer. In the winter, you'll need heat. The gas/electric utility (the infamous PG$E: Pacific Gas & Electric) can be expensive, but not so much for a small apartment, I would think. Sorry, I can't give you a guesstimate, since I haven't lived in an apt. in the Bay Area. But others should be able to help you.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:12 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
You should be able to get decent internet for around $30/month. I've been paying that for a while, for Comcast/Xfinity cable internet with 400 Mbps download speed. I've paid as little as $25 and as much as $55, just depends on the selected speed and relevant promos. Annual contract usually required for the best rates.

It's been a while since I've had an apartment, but gas + electricity is reasonable during the summer without a/c. Bill is always higher in winter due to heating. My best guess would be something like $70 per month in the winter and half that during the summer. Hard to say since PG&E rates keep going up, and everybody's situation is different.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:14 PM

Oh! Great - I guess inflation + war could rise PG&E prices next months.
Also, you did not include water, was it included? I also wonder about other local taxes (sewage,etc)?

Thanks!

John

Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Just to give you an idea of what we pay per month. We live in the East Bay, where it is usually warmer in the summer months, than in the peninsula cities.

PG&E (natural gas & electricity) ranges from $92-$135 per month, based on usage. The $135 per month is usually during the summer months when we use the A/C for several hours daily. When we moved here years ago, the PG&E bills ranged from $60-$95 per month, so they have increased.

Internet is through T-Mobile Home Internet at $60 per month. We used to use AT&T at $95 per month.

We have to pay trash, at $45 a month.

Our water is around $55 per month.

We live in a 1,400 sq foot, 3 level townhouse (i.e., 3 bed, 2.5 bath), just my spouse and I.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Just to give you an idea of what we pay per month. We live in the East Bay, where it is usually warmer in the summer months, than in the peninsula cities.

PG&E (natural gas & electricity) ranges from $92-$135 per month, based on usage. The $135 per month is usually during the summer months when we use the A/C for several hours daily. When we moved here years ago, the PG&E bills ranged from $60-$95 per month, so they have increased.

Internet is through T-Mobile Home Internet at $60 per month. We used to use AT&T at $95 per month.

We have to pay trash, at $45 a month.

Our water is around $55 per month.

We live in a 1,400 sq foot, 3 level townhouse (i.e., 3 bed, 2.5 bath), just my spouse and I.
Where in the East Bay do you live? If you're using A/C daily, it sounds like you're in the "outer" E Bay, on the east side of the hills?

The OP is planning to move to a cooler part of the Bay. Still, trash, water, internet costs are helpful. Sounds like you have a nice place.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:20 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Ruth4Truth: we are in Dublin. We typically only use the AC during the “hot” days of summer, and usually only between 3:00 - 6:00 PM. Our place stays pretty cool before 3:00 and after 6:00 PM, so no need to use the AC all day. We have a neighbor, whose unit is facing the west and gets a lot of sun in the afternoon and she mentioned a $318 PG&E bill last month.

Fortunately, our unit is behind some shade, and we use mini-blinds to effectively keep the sun out, which seems to help.

Last edited by ccm123; 07-21-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 06:20 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher1923 View Post
Also, you did not include water, was it included? I also wonder about other local taxes (sewage,etc)
When I moved out of my Berkeley apartment in late 2018, I was paying around $95-100 every 2 months for water and sewer. I lived by myself. At my Richmond house, I currently pay about $130 every 3 months for trash and recycling. However, trash and recycling are normally included in the cost of rent everywhere around here. I have found that the inclusion of water in rent varies from landlord to landlord and is typically based on whether there are separate water meters. Sewer is usually included with water unless you live in an area like I do now, where the city runs the sewer system and bills for it as part of the property tax bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland