Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
If you can afford what you want in Pleasant Hill, this isn't even a competition. Pleasant Hill all the way. Brentwood exists for people who can't afford towns like Pleasant Hill.
This. Brentwood is for people who want a McMansion for cheap, or people who can't afford a house in places like PHill.

It's dusty, with lots of backwards thinking delta bumpkins, and schools are mediocre at best

It's a town for blue collar cops, who drive obnoxious pick up trucks, and vote Republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 5,549 times
My two cents:

I've lived in Pleasant Hill for 20+ years. I've lived in the downtown area and on the nicer west side. I would stay clear purchasing a home near DVC college and College Park HS due to the congestion and foot traffic. Crime can be higher due the a large international student body at DVC which the lowlifes prey on. Stay clear of the Sun Valley mall as well, which can bring in riff raff. Poets Corner is nice with older homes in a woodsy established area and is close to downtown PH. In General, the west side (against the hills) is nicer than the central areas and Gregory Gardens, Poets Corner excluded. I would also look in South Martinez around Virginia Hills, which borders PH and Lafayette. This area offers PH schools and is over the hill (Taylor Blvd) from Lafayette BART, in case you don't want to drive to SF.

Going north down Alhambra Ave you will find nice neighborhoods off of Elderwood, also Forest Hills is a nice older development with a swim club. Many other nice area south of highway 4. If you continue down to downtown Martinez where I currently reside, you can cool off at the marina and checkout the historic downtown.

I worked in Brentwood for 4 years. It's mostly newer construction, and in more "country", but plenty of shopping. It butts up against Antioch which has problems and the commute into Concord is hell during commute hours. It can also be quite warm and windy at times. If you're willing to deal with these issues you can get a large newer home in Brentwood.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 14,900 times
Okay. Looks like I'll be focusing on Pleasant Hill. Thank you all so much.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM

50 posts, read 69,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphes View Post
Okay. Looks like I'll be focusing on Pleasant Hill. Thank you all so much.
Do not rule out Martinez either. Martinez has neighborhoods that are pretty much indistinguishable from Pleasant Hill, these neighborhoods also feed the Pleasant Hill schools, but the Martinez School District is just as good, imo. When I was in the market to buy a home a couple years back the Martinez zip code still came at a discount compared to Pleasant Hill.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
It looks like the decision has already been made; however, should anyone else want something more to think about, Pleasant Hill has in the past weathered a real estate downturn (around 2008) significantly better than Brentwood. When the market dropped, Brentwood McMansions lost significant value and were difficult to sell. There were stories of squatters moving into the properties. For that reason alone, I would not buy in Brentwood.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It looks like the decision has already been made; however, should anyone else want something more to think about, Pleasant Hill has in the past weathered a real estate downturn (around 2008) significantly better than Brentwood. When the market dropped, Brentwood McMansions lost significant value and were difficult to sell. There were stories of squatters moving into the properties. For that reason alone, I would not buy in Brentwood.
Quite true. I had a realtor friend thAt showed me several at bargain prices. Outlying areas tend to get host first and recover last.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM

4,324 posts, read 6,289,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGmkc View Post
Do not rule out Martinez either. Martinez has neighborhoods that are pretty much indistinguishable from Pleasant Hill, these neighborhoods also feed the Pleasant Hill schools, but the Martinez School District is just as good, imo. When I was in the market to buy a home a couple years back the Martinez zip code still came at a discount compared to Pleasant Hill.
Yes, but then you're right next to the oil refineries. I wouldn't risk my health for cheaper real estate.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:45 PM

75 posts, read 83,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, but then you're right next to the oil refineries. I wouldn't risk my health for cheaper real estate.
We are looking to buy in the East Bay, still undecided on city. We just added Pleasant Hill to the list. We were avoiding Martinez due to the oil refineries. Is there any part of Martinez that you would consider, or would you personally avoid altogether?

Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaNative2 View Post
We are looking to buy in the East Bay, still undecided on city. We just added Pleasant Hill to the list. We were avoiding Martinez due to the oil refineries. Is there any part of Martinez that you would consider, or would you personally avoid altogether?
I think south of Highway 4 is fine personally. Parts of Martinez south of 4 border and are indistinguishable from PH.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 PM

43 posts, read 44,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
This. Brentwood is for people who want a McMansion for cheap, or people who can't afford a house in places like PHill.

It's dusty, with lots of backwards thinking delta bumpkins, and schools are mediocre at best

It's a town for blue collar cops, who drive obnoxious pick up trucks, and vote Republican

This is funniest thing I have read here in a while..

Brentwood is way out there, it is a long, and tiresome drive to almost everywhere.

Homes are very expensive, [to me] crime has slid in from Antioch, transient folks are making their bid along the delta.

The delta is a fine reason to live there, so much to do, and explore. Pleasant hill would make more sense if you are commuting,closer into the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland