Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,725,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I agree they need more mixed use, but considering the station isn't walkable for most iliving in the area and is near shopping, where exactly you expect people to park?

I don't understand why BART didn't design new cars with bench seating. Not only does it create more center space, it makes it easier for people to get up and easier for those luggage. It's really annoying having to ask people to move so you can get in and out, especially when the trains are crowded.
BART is a mostly suburban commuter rail system with passengers that travel long distances, bench style seating removes A LOT of seats that could otherwise fit in a car. They added a third door so there is more standing space as it is. Airport riders make up a small % of overall ridership too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,022,330 times
For heavy rail, the majority of bart stations are very low density areas.

Even LA heavy rail (small as it is), seems to have more density around it's stations.

Just go to the Castro Valley, Bayfair, San Leandro stations. Boomburbia, LoL.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
For heavy rail, the majority of bart stations are very low density areas.

Even LA heavy rail (small as it is), seems to have more density around it's stations.

Just go to the Castro Valley, Bayfair, San Leandro stations. Boomburbia, LoL.
Well considering it goes through the most "urban", densest parts of the entire LA metro area I would certainly hope it would have more density than Castro Valley. Really showcasing LA's urbanity with that comparison there lol.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:00 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,484,102 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...rties-bxp.html

Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,926,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I agree they need more mixed use, but considering the station isn't walkable for most iliving in the area and is near shopping, where exactly you expect people to park?

I don't understand why BART didn't design new cars with bench seating. Not only does it create more center space, it makes it easier for people to get up and easier for those luggage. It's really annoying having to ask people to move so you can get in and out, especially when the trains are crowded.
The concept of driving to the train station is kind of the issue at the heart of all of this, I think. It illustrates the fundamental difference in lifestyle of our country compared to the rest of the world.

Sure, there should be dedicated parking for the stations (ideally underground), but you shouldn't have stations isolated from everything with only enormous parking structures surrounding them.

The point is you don't want everyone driving to the station. You build walkable/bikeable communities around these stations, and do your best to link them to other parts of the region with other modes transit.

Not to bring the Caltrain vs. BART debate into this - but I think one thing Caltrain gets right is its great integration into the various Peninsula downtowns. Where I live in downtown San Mateo, I can walk to the station in 5 minutes. And there are many jobs and people that live within walking distance of this station.

There is some of that with some of the BART stations - but too many of them are isolated stations next to a freeway.

There's a chicken and egg situation here, of course...do you build the BART stations first, and hope that development naturally (or non-naturally) grows around it? Or do you start with a mature downtown/walkable area, and build BART to that?

Either way - it's pretty obvious that our land use around our public transit infrastructure is not the best it could be. While HK is a super extreme example, there's a lot of room between where we are now and HK. We could certainly have regional mini-downtowns around all major transit stations.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Not to bring the Caltrain vs. BART debate into this - but I think one thing Caltrain gets right is its great integration into the various Peninsula downtowns. Where I live in downtown San Mateo, I can walk to the station in 5 minutes. And there are many jobs and people that live within walking distance of this station.

There is some of that with some of the BART stations - but too many of them are isolated stations next to a freeway.

There's a chicken and egg situation here, of course...do you build the BART stations first, and hope that development naturally (or non-naturally) grows around it? Or do you start with a mature downtown/walkable area, and build BART to that?

Either way - it's pretty obvious that our land use around our public transit infrastructure is not the best it could be. While HK is a super extreme example, there's a lot of room between where we are now and HK. We could certainly have regional mini-downtowns around all major transit stations.
Not really a fair comparison, Caltrain is a legacy system that spurred development before mass suburbanization. Passenger service has been operating along that corridor since the 1860/70's.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not really a fair comparison, Caltrain is a legacy system that spurred development before mass suburbanization. Passenger service has been operating along that corridor since the 1860/70's.
I'm aware. As I said, it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing.

But those downtowns do exist in our region outside of the peninsula.

We could build rail to them. We chose, instead, to build along freeways in the outer lines. While cheaper to build that way, rarely do walkable areas or downtowns exist immediately next to a freeway. So we have to "force it" - which isn't an easy thing to accomplish.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm aware. As I said, it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing.

But those downtowns do exist in our region outside of the peninsula.

We could build rail to them. We chose, instead, to build along freeways in the outer lines. While cheaper to build that way, rarely do walkable areas or downtowns exist immediately next to a freeway. So we have to "force it" - which isn't an easy thing to accomplish.
Not quite true. Concord and Walnut Creek BART stations are adjacent to their downtown's. So is Orinda despite being in the middle of 24. The Dublin/Pleasanton line is like that but Castro Valley never had a downtown and neither did Dublin. Pleasanton's is pretty far out of the way and you probably capture more ridership where it is now. DC Metro has done an amazing job at TOD's by it's stations so it can more easily be done but NIMBY's and local cities have too much power and prevent a lot of it.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 PM

191 posts, read 312,447 times
Lafayette's station is walkable from much of its downtown and some residential areas as well.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not quite true. Concord and Walnut Creek BART stations are adjacent to their downtown's. So is Orinda despite being in the middle of 24. The Dublin/Pleasanton line is like that but Castro Valley never had a downtown and neither did Dublin. Pleasanton's is pretty far out of the way and you probably capture more ridership where it is now. DC Metro has done an amazing job at TOD's by it's stations so it can more easily be done but NIMBY's and local cities have too much power and prevent a lot of it.
Perhaps my wording was a little exaggerated, sorry about that (I'm aware of the stations you mention) - but my general point is that the line was built the way it was because that was the cheapest way to do so. Not because it would maximize walkability/dense development/etc. (which frankly weren't really considerations when these lines were built out).

Some walkable areas do happen to be next to these freeways, but many stations are kind of "dead zones" for pedestrians or cyclists. The signal being sent when you walk up to many BART stations is "drive here and park here". Even Milbrae's Caltrain/BART station has that vibe - despite it being near a walkable downtown.

I agree with your points (I think we're agreeing on most things here) - and I think DC can be a great model on TOD. There are many other models around the world to look at, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland