Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,785,482 times

Advertisements

No one can make the decision for you... some embrace the grittiness and really become a positive influence and for others... they will say to their last breath anything bad they can say.

Oakland really is about neighbors and neighborhoods... I'm 4th generation and only lived in East Oakland... bought my first home below East 14 as it was facing a condemnation hearing... just about everyone thought I was nuts... still own that home today... and since I moved... only on my second tenant.

When I bought... that neighborhood was almost all African American... and now is Hispanic.

The next East Oakland neighborhood I moved to was almost all Caucasians in their 70's and 80's... some even were original homeowners from the 20's and 30's... only selling when they became too elderly... then just about buyer was Asian and then Hispanic until the Bubble... since, every new family has been Caucasian or Mixed...

My next move was again to a neighborhood that was almost all African American and every home that sells is being bought buy Caucasian or Asian families...

The one thing about Oakland is it is always changing... good neighbors make good neighborhoods...

I was in one neighborhood near 98th and Edes where just about everything that could go wrong did... it was a difficult couple of years... in time those that caused the problems either moved away, were sent to prison, died or found Jesus... today the area is called Quiet Village...

I've found welcoming neighbors everywhere I have lived... and part of that is I have always bought property that was run down and in need of TLC... simply clearing out the trash, putting on a new coat of paint and making repairs is making a statement that will be noticed.

Oakland has a lot going for it... weather and location that is simply the best... many citizens that are really community involved... no one knows the future and anyone that overlooks crime is not being real...

I have had my car broken into several times... strange thing is it was never in Oakland... San Leandro Home Depot, San Leandro Orchard Supply and visiting friends in Pleasant Hill... go figure.

Sometimes we would even joke that petty criminals know better to try this in East Oakland because they would get shot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 02:34 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,441,064 times
You can spin it all you want.
I see people give you different opinions here and you shoot right back.
Like I said, you already know your answer and you think you are always right. So why bother ask?

Btw, you said you are young, let me tell you there are plenty of MULTI-millionaires under the age of 35 in bay area.
Being young and college educated doesn't guarantee anything. And I wouldn't call someone buying in E Oakland as successful person. Please don't brag about it, you are just making a fool of yourself.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 PM

113 posts, read 133,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
You can spin it all you want.
I see people give you different opinions here and you shoot right back.
Like I said, you already know your answer and you think you are always right. So why bother ask?

Btw, you said you are young, let me tell you there are plenty of MULTI-millionaires under the age of 35 in bay area.
Being young and college educated doesn't guarantee anything. And I wouldn't call someone buying in E Oakland as successful person. Please don't brag about it, you are just making a fool of yourself.
You are a troll. Stop posting on here. Wealth is relative and is really not the purpose of this topic. Nor is the definition of "success" (also relative).

This topic is specific to those looking to change a specific area of Oakland. It is looking for information on specific neighborhoods and stories.

Lots of people have provided useful information. You have contributed no value (are a troll). Go troll somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 PM

113 posts, read 133,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No one can make the decision for you... some embrace the grittiness and really become a positive influence and for others... they will say to their last breath anything bad they can say.

Oakland really is about neighbors and neighborhoods... I'm 4th generation and only lived in East Oakland... bought my first home below East 14 as it was facing a condemnation hearing... just about everyone thought I was nuts... still own that home today... and since I moved... only on my second tenant.

When I bought... that neighborhood was almost all African American... and now is Hispanic.

The next East Oakland neighborhood I moved to was almost all Caucasians in their 70's and 80's... some even were original homeowners from the 20's and 30's... only selling when they became too elderly... then just about buyer was Asian and then Hispanic until the Bubble... since, every new family has been Caucasian or Mixed...

My next move was again to a neighborhood that was almost all African American and every home that sells is being bought buy Caucasian or Asian families...

The one thing about Oakland is it is always changing... good neighbors make good neighborhoods...

I was in one neighborhood near 98th and Edes where just about everything that could go wrong did... it was a difficult couple of years... in time those that caused the problems either moved away, were sent to prison, died or found Jesus... today the area is called Quiet Village...

I've found welcoming neighbors everywhere I have lived... and part of that is I have always bought property that was run down and in need of TLC... simply clearing out the trash, putting on a new coat of paint and making repairs is making a statement that will be noticed.

Oakland has a lot going for it... weather and location that is simply the best... many citizens that are really community involved... no one knows the future and anyone that overlooks crime is not being real...

I have had my car broken into several times... strange thing is it was never in Oakland... San Leandro Home Depot, San Leandro Orchard Supply and visiting friends in Pleasant Hill... go figure.

Sometimes we would even joke that petty criminals know better to try this in East Oakland because they would get shot...
Thank you! Very interesting info.

That is what I'm looking to do, too. Add some paint, etc. I found a few places that look great and are close to BART, which is my main criteria.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,195,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
Thank you! Very interesting info.

That is what I'm looking to do, too. Add some paint, etc. I found a few places that look great and are close to BART, which is my main criteria.
I think you are smart to buy close to BART. The areas closest to BART and public transport are increasing more percentage wise than the traditionally nice areas that are more car dependant.

I personally wouldn't live near the Coliseum but that is me. I would encourage you to find something near Fruitvale - if it's possible at 350k. That is a hood that has existing infrastructure that was once nice and now run down.

I moved to Oakland in 1997 to 57th and Telegraph. Horrible area at that time. I would walk down to what is now the shopping district of Temescal and thought, "This has potential and will be nice one day." Back then it was mostly boarded up and scary. I kept my hand in my pocket gripping a hunting knife back then. Yes, stupid of me but I was genuinely scared. I heard the crack crack crack of gunfire most nights back then. Anyways, the homes in that area now are astronomical (Rockridge spillover certainly helped but it had the nice homes from the 20's and the infrastructure for nice restaurants, cafes etc...". You have to look at the potential. I don't see much potential in Deep East Oakland. It may get less violent but I don't see it becoming trendy or popular for a long time.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 8,299,910 times
Personally, I'd go with West Oakland over East Oakland. It's closer to downtown and the lake, closer to SF, doesn't have as much violent crime, and it's already started gentrifying. East Oakland has pockets of nice areas, but it just isn't as safe or as good of location imo. I'd rather live in San Leandro than East Oakland too. It's funny that the OP mentions they don't want to live in the boring suburbs, but that's pretty much what East Oakland is- it's mostly just residential. West Oakland is where most of the art galleries, studios, etc are..

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM

44 posts, read 103,910 times
East Oakland has nicer parts and more rough parts... And near the coliseum isn't one of the nice parts. And unlike east coast cities, california ghettos are newer, so they don't look as slummy, but looks can be deceiving. East Oakland between seminary and the San Leandro border is mostly a black and hispanic ghetto where there are often murders and other violent crimes, so if you're prepared for a culture shock and some of the least desirable living conditions in the western United States, move there. That being said, there are a lot of great people there, and I know that from experience, so if you want to live there and have some street smarts, most likely nothing will happen to you. Nicer parts of east oakland are maxwell park, eastmont hills, millsmont, allendale, dimond, laurel, parts of San Antonio, etc. Between lake Merritt and high street there's less crime, less poverty and blight, and more Caucasian people.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:42 PM

74 posts, read 149,851 times
Most of the neighborhoods being mentioned are way above $350k at this moment--anything in Dimond, Maxwell Park, Allendale, Laurel, and most anything in Fruitvale or San Antonio, etc. I know somebody who was looking in that range and ended up a block above MacArthur in Eastmont.

The neighorhoods that I'd guess are the most likely to gentrify (whether that's a good or bad thing) are Havenscourt and the Fairfax district. Both are made up of mainly of single family homes, and both have nice walkable commercial districts.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,785,482 times
Just going back a couple of years and the selection would have been great...

350k was the lower end of some of the homes in Chabot Park and Grass Valley neighborhoods.

Depending on where you look... homes are up 50 to 100% or more from the low...

There is one home I have tracked in Bartlett neighborhood... years ago I tried to buy it when it sold for 80k... it changed hands several times until it sold for 510k in 2007 and then resold as a foreclosure for 130k with a new roof and windows... last I checked it had sold for 330k about a year ago.

I do think this time round it is different... many that bought had big downs with up to 40% paying all cash at one time... rents are also up.

Had several excellent renters that got caught up in home buying in 2006-07 and all lost or walked away because renting was half the cost of owning... in hindsight, those mortgages payments are pretty close or less than rents today...

Old 07-04-2015, 03:21 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,441,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
.......Wealth is relative.....success (also relative).
Spin and spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland