Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM

176 posts, read 219,549 times

Advertisements

Working class people of all types are getting pushed out of SF. The gay people who are still in SF tend to be very well off, just like the straight people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
I'm actually European ie/ white. But thanks for providing an example of xenophobia. Once again, in London/Paris/NY/LA you don't have as much focus on race. But they are all Global Cities. SF is not a global city by any means. Similar to Detroit: a company town.
You've been here about a month though, right? You may want to hold off on the Detroit comparisons until you've had some time to look around a bit more. I'm not trying to discredit your observations, just qualifying them.

You appear to be caught up in a City Data-inspired evaluation of your new city. Why would anyone expect SF to be like NYC/London/LA? Furthermore, why would anyone want it to be? SF affords its residents a lifestyle, attitude, point of view and cultural experience unlike anywhere else. Those other cities you mention are as far away from providing a San Francisco experience as you correctly note that SF is from them. That's not to say it's better or worse here, but that it is wholly unique.

When you attempt to encapsulate the SF experience within the context of your individual expectations relative to other places, based on such limited exposure to the City, how could you form an honest assessment?

This kind of thing comes up a lot on CD. People who come to SF looking for NYC are destined for disappointment. People who go to NYC hoping for SF are also disappointed. SF is its own thing. People who get it aren't sitting around wishing they could be somewhere else, or trying to change it into a "world city" (whatever that may mean to you), or hope it gets elevated prominence in the media, higher rankings on Forbes' Best Cities lists, taller buildings, or other "bragging rights" things. In fact, in SF, it's quite the opposite.

People here go to great lengths to keep SF decidedly inside its bubble--much to the chagrin of outsiders. Give it time. You might one day get it, and find yourself among those of us who don't care to imagine life anywhere else. Or, don't.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:13 PM

540 posts, read 655,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It sucks when you're prevented from repping someone because you're asked to spread the love.
Typical the RA RA America love it or leave it crowd chimes in. Funny how nobody see's Blacks, Asians, or Latinos as just American in this country. Yet your type wants everybody to pretend we are accepted as "Just American". GTFOH I'm proud of my Heritage.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:07 PM

636 posts, read 615,861 times
There's no focus on race in NY or LA? You've got to be trolling.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
There's no focus on race in NY or LA? You've got to be trolling.
Right? London, too.

This guy was on here a month ago, saying he wanted to learn about Bay Area life, having just moved here and not knowing anything about it. He also noted that he expected to stay here for a year or two before "trying out" NYC or Chicago, which seems to suggest he doesn't know about life in those cities either.

Yet, one month later he is now comparing his extremely limited experience living in SF with what he thinks its like to live in NYC (and London and LA).

Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 AM

24,422 posts, read 27,116,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Typical the RA RA America love it or leave it crowd chimes in. Funny how nobody see's Blacks, Asians, or Latinos as just American in this country. Yet your type wants everybody to pretend we are accepted as "Just American". GTFOH I'm proud of my Heritage.
So what African languages do you speak? It's like the fat obnoxious American tourist who only knows English yet claims to be Italian for everything. "You know because I'm Italian we like to eat big dinners together, oh since I'm Italian I talk with my hands a loy etc" All I think is, _______ please! You couldn't even find Venice on a map or introduce yourself in Italian, you are as much Italian as my Korean Grandmother is Nigerian.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Pretty much.
People take themselves way too seriously now.
Keeping people divided on lots of petty issues is the perfect "divide & conquer" (some call it "divide & rule") technique. That way people don't notice they're losing their freedoms.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Gays are usually educated and have professional careers like Jews and Asians and Middle Eastern people they tend to value education not all but the vast majority of them do. SF will always be a haven for gays because of the socially liberal aspect of SF.
Correction: Out of the closet gays have this value system. The ones who are in the closet (who are, by definition, invisible) tend to be less educated with lower incomes.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How many gays do you see sagging their pants to their knees, while using worse grammar than a first grader... virtually none!
How do you know those with sagging pants and speaking like 1st graders aren't gay?

Old 06-26-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most places are not that tolerant of gays especially in really religious places, the world is becoming more tolerant than any time in past history but still I would not want to be gay in some small cities and towns. SF is still a safe haven for gays
But there are plenty of other "safe havens" that offer reasonable cost of living options--and it's not really a safe haven if you can't afford to live there. It's just the nature of the hostility has changed. Instead of hostility toward your sexual orientation, you have to deal with a hostile housing market. Atlanta, Kansas City, Denver, Phoenix, and even Salt Lake City are all pretty gay friendly and have much more reasonable living costs, and those are just a few off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland