Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 10:15 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

A lot of people don’t like the hot weather in Walnut Creek, but I didn’t mind it. It made for nice evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 07:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I don’t much care for the heat.
That said,
I’d choose Walnut Creek over Castro Valley any day of week.
It’s not a perfect place by any means but I do feel safe and comfortable there.
I think the downtown/shopping area of Walnut Creek is about as good as it gets for the Outer East Bay Area.
Growing up in Lafayette and raising my kids in Danville I’d say that other than a few nice strip malls Walnut Creek has a better down town area for shopping and dining than the Tri-Valley or Lamorinda.

I am also very familiar with CV.
The weather is nice.
In fact it’s nicer imo.
Some of the neighborhoods are darn nice too.
That Hayward thing is a real deal breaker for me though.
I don’t have the safe and comfortable feeling that Walnut Creek gives me.
There is definitely an over flow of people from Hayward (or wherever) going into CV.
Grown men with chains on their wallets riding bicycles and things such as that are not rare occurrences, either is gang affiliation I’d wager.
Even though it’s not Hayward I still wouldn’t want to call it home.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:45 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Spill over crime from Hayward, usually in the form of property crime - retail theft, car and house break ins. Get yourself ADT for the house and don't leave valuables in your car and you will be okay. Castro Valley is relatively safe.

Walnut Creeks is fine. The Karen factor to the nth degree, but other than that it's fine. I think Danville and Lamorinda are way more peaceful. WC had that kind of"hectic suburbia" vibe, with all the people going downtown or to job centers.

John Muir is the best ****ing hospital in the East Bay too.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:06 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Spill over crime from Hayward, usually in the form of property crime - retail theft, car and house break ins. Get yourself ADT for the house and don't leave valuables in your car and you will be okay. Castro Valley is relatively safe.

Walnut Creeks is fine. The Karen factor to the nth degree, but other than that it's fine. I think Danville and Lamorinda are way more peaceful. WC had that kind of"hectic suburbia" vibe, with all the people going downtown or to job centers.

John Muir is the best ****ing hospital in the East Bay too.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-17925621.php

Old 09-16-2023, 07:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Could you post a couple of excerpts, please, tikka? I can't get past the pay window.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:30 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I lived on that 680 corridor from 1988 to 2002 (mostly San Ramon and Walnut Creek). I went to night school for three years at Cal State Hayward Contra Costa and Hayward campuses. I worked in Pleasanton (and later Concord and Santa Clara). I often took the back road through Castro Valley from Hayward to San Ramon. I never lived in Hayward or Castro Valley, but, I attended school, drove through those areas and visited certain businesses there and I was never mugged or anything. I mention it because I knew the general area (even though it's been quite a while I doubt it has changed all that much).

There is no comparison between Walnut Creek and Castro Valley. If you can afford Walnut Creek I would not even think twice. That whole East Bay really can feel like the desert in the summers. It would be better to have a car living in the suburbs. There are a lot of backroads. Commuting is a waste of life and so I would either try to move closer to work or find work closer to where I can live.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:32 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you post a couple of excerpts, please, tikka? I can't get past the pay window.
https://stanforddaily.com/2023/05/14...kest-children/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland