Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM

36 posts, read 68,852 times

Advertisements

We just moved to San Francisco a month ago and have been looking on craigslist, rentinsf and trulia for rental places and we're finding NOTHING. We have corporate accommodation until April but we have to find somewhere permanent before then.

My partner works in Silicon Valley and we have a budget range of 2500-3500 for rent. We need at least 2 bedrooms because we have a baby. We're looking in central areas of SF but also down in the Valley (Los Gatos, Los Altos, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Campbell - and Palo Alto ideally but that's a distant dream as it's so expensive...!). We can't find anything at the moment. It doesn't even seem to be our budget that's the problem - when I looked in the $4,000-$6,000 range, there wasn't a lot available either.

Is it me or is the rental market insanely hot at the moment? Is it always like this or is it just a seasonal variation? When my partner accepted this new job back in October, the relocation people told us that our rental budget was realistic and shouldn't be a problem but now they're saying that there's not much available and we may have to reduce our expectations. Are we missing something? Is there some magical place where you can get rentals that we're not aware of? Is there a company that we could pay to find a place for us and pay them a fee? We have a young baby so I don't get a lot of time during the day to look although I do check craiglist every day and there just really doesn't seem to be much coming on the market. Are we being unrealistic in our budget / expectations? I am really worried that we won't find anywhere in the next month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
My only experience in that area is limited and dated, and I was in a lower income class by a good bit. For airline workers at San Francisco Airport it was common for co-workers to share rides and commute up to 100 miles to find affordable accomodations. I hope your experience will be better.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

330 posts, read 749,562 times
I'm curious, are you saying you can't find anything at all, or when you find something you like it's already taken by the time you make a phone call?

If you're willing to spend up to $3500 for a 2 BR then it's surprising to hear that you are struggling to find anything. Because a simple Craigslist search shows a ton of results for what you are looking for:

Remodeled 2bd/1ba, fantastic neighborhood ~ JWavro (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2854287576.html - broken link)
Spacious View Flat - newer kitchen/baths - must see! (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2853894103.html - broken link)
Bright Corner Unit-Divisadero Corridor-City Views-Open Sun 2:15-2:45PM (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2850134931.html - broken link)
SPACIOUS 3 BEDROOM (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2844750639.html - broken link)
RUSSIAN HILL. ELEGANT. DEN-W/D.PREMIER LOCATION.WALK TO NORTH BEACH. (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2853444204.html - broken link)

Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,701 times
Given the areas that you are considering on the Peninsula, I am guessing that you are looking at upper middle class areas in SF, such as Noe Valley, Laurel Heights, Cole Valley, etc. With the current rental market, you're going to have a hard time finding a nice 2BR in those areas for under $3500. However, if you are willing to consider other areas such as the Sunset or Richmond, you should not have a problem finding a place for the budget. Same goes if you would be willing to look at other places on the Peninsula/South Bay, such as San Mateo or Sunnyvale. I am guessing that you are looking at other criteria in addition to have a 2BR.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
No its not just you. The Bay Area has the fastest rising rents in the United States according to recent articles at bizjournals.com

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaCab View Post
We just moved to San Francisco a month ago and have been looking on craigslist, rentinsf and trulia for rental places and we're finding NOTHING. We have corporate accommodation until April but we have to find somewhere permanent before then.

My partner works in Silicon Valley and we have a budget range of 2500-3500 for rent. We need at least 2 bedrooms because we have a baby. We're looking in central areas of SF but also down in the Valley (Los Gatos, Los Altos, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Campbell - and Palo Alto ideally but that's a distant dream as it's so expensive...!). We can't find anything at the moment. It doesn't even seem to be our budget that's the problem - when I looked in the $4,000-$6,000 range, there wasn't a lot available either.

Is it me or is the rental market insanely hot at the moment? Is it always like this or is it just a seasonal variation? When my partner accepted this new job back in October, the relocation people told us that our rental budget was realistic and shouldn't be a problem but now they're saying that there's not much available and we may have to reduce our expectations. Are we missing something? Is there some magical place where you can get rentals that we're not aware of? Is there a company that we could pay to find a place for us and pay them a fee? We have a young baby so I don't get a lot of time during the day to look although I do check craiglist every day and there just really doesn't seem to be much coming on the market. Are we being unrealistic in our budget / expectations? I am really worried that we won't find anywhere in the next month...
If you just read about all the other folks on this board moving to the Bay Area for jobs lately, you'll realize that yes, the rental market is insane right now. I don't think your budget is a problem--just the sudden influx of people.

I suspect that if you lower your expectations a bit (like different neighborhoods or cities) then you won't have so many problems finding something. I don't know if you're only looking for houses, but you might want to add in apartments to your search also. Craigslist is pretty much the best way to find something. You may also take a chance driving around and finding rental signs on the properties themselves (although time consuming!) Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Have you tried Padmapper dot com ?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Crazy? You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til the summer comes around and it'll really be crazy. I know you find this hard to believe, but right now is actually the slow period. I expect another major bump in rent over the summer so the affordable but not ideal place that you pass up now will be an unaffordable and not ideal place in the summer. There will be more inventory in the summer but also a whole lot more competition for them. Rent has been raising rapidly since summer of 2010 so a price range that's reasonable in Oct is probably not so anymore. The advice you received is correct, you need to lower your expectation (also expand your area) and get in asap.

I've been here seven years, aside from late 2008 to early 2010 (the economic meltdown era), landing a rental had always been a challenge. I had friends who were here during the first dot com bubble and said things were even crazier back then.

Unfortunately, craigslist is still the best (and pretty much only place) to look for rentals. Other sites like padmapper may also be useful but it mostly shows craigslist stuff anyway. Unlike NYC, it's not common to hire a company to find things for you and such company generally does not have access to allow you to jump to the front of the line. With that said, ClimbSF has some luxury condos listed for rent on their website, you may want to check them out.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

330 posts, read 749,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
With that said, ClimbSF has some luxury condos listed for rent on their website, you may want to check them out.
Out of curiosity I checked that ClimbSF website. Good Lord. Talk about crazy inflated rent. For instance:

1334 Eddy Street | Climb Real Estate (http://www.climbsf.com/for-rent/1334-eddy-street - broken link)

$3500 to live in a 2 BR at 1334 Eddy?? The interior looks nice, but 1334 Eddy is in the middle of the freakin' projects! Some poor sucker moving from out of town is going to be very unhappy with that deal...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,701 times
I took a look at RentalInSF and it looks like all but one of their apartments are in your budget. My friend used them to find their place and had a good experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland