Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:48 PM

9,832 posts, read 11,631,593 times

Advertisements

What a off Seasons so Far
Ive been in San Diego all my life, and i have always watched the padres be sellers not buyers!
Although i am happy, "i still don't trust this organization"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnYRzu9Xb0
Quote:
Justin Upton, whose name has been involved in trade talks for some time, was traded by the Atlanta Braves on Friday to the San Digeo Padres, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal first reported.
Upton is headed to San Diego in exchange for a haul of prospects including left-hander and the Padres' No. 3 rated prospect Max Fried, second baseman Jace Peterson, third baseman Dustin Peterson and outfielder Mallex Smith, according to reports.
Upton, 27, is coming off the finest season of his career. He hit .270 with 29 home runs and 102 RBI.
The Padres already made two huge trades in recent days, acquiring slugger Matt Kemp from the Los Angeles Dodgers and former AL Rookie of the Year Wil Myers from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Now, San Diego has picked up another of baseball's top power hitters in Upton, who will earn $14.5 million in the final year of his contract. He had 29 homers and 102 RBIs last season.
In all likelihood, the Padres are not done dealing yet, with a glut of outfielders on the roster.
Justin Upton traded to Padres, who now have a new outfield | FOX Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:58 PM

We now can't say they are not spending any money!
Cole Hammel would be the Cherry on top
Quote:
The Padres' payroll appears headed north of $100 million, but with more personnel movement on the horizon, management is not ready to release a payroll figure for 2015.
In an email to the U-T on Monday, Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler noted that there are "additional moves to come" and he was "not comfortable setting a definitive number."
Fowler has maintained during this offseason that General Manager A.J. Preller will have "flexibility" to pursue talent, and that certainly appears to be the case. In trading for outfielder Matt Kemp, the Padres also will receive $32 million from the Dodgers, but the five-year, $75 million obligation still represents the largest in franchise history. Fellow Padres newcomer Justin Upton will earn $14.5 million next season, and even if he chooses to become a free agent, the Padres can give him a qualifying offer and gain a draft pick.
The Padres also have interest in Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels, a San Diego native who could put the rotation over the top. Hamels is owed a minimum of $96 million over the next four seasons. But the 30-year-old is a target for a number of other teams, some of them pitching-hungrier than the Padres.
Sources within the organization have indicated that the Padres do not intend to flip recently acquired outfielder Wil Myers in a potential trade for Hamels.
The Padres' current commitments for 2015 are $74,083,333, according to Cot's Contracts. Add what will be owed to arbitration-eligible players, and the total should border on, if not eclipse, $100 million.
At Kemp's introductory press conference Friday, Preller said, "I know in August when I took this job there were a lot of questions about how committed ownership and the franchise were going to be. Today is a great day for the Padres, the city of San Diego. Ownership has shown it clearly wants to win."
The Padres set their opening-day record for payroll this year, at roughly $90 million. Their final payroll for 2014 was $85,467,063, which ranked 25th out of 30 clubs.
"I think we were ready to invest," Padres president and CEO Mike Dee said Friday, "as soon as we felt comfortable we had a plan and somebody who was going to articulate a plan for ownership that we were confident in."
During an interview on the Mighty 1090 Monday morning, Fowler said he "couldn't be more pleased with the offseason, but now it's a matter of getting the pieces in place." He later added: "We know we have too many outfielders. We know we have to make some changes."
Of Preller, Fowler said, "He felt with the starting pitching, if we added some offense, we had a good chance to take a run at it this year. He set out to do that, and he had a number of ideas. Frankly, these have been percolating for a time. ... I said, OK, let's go do it. If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly."

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,000,516 times
Might be an exciting year for Padres fans, whereas I'm thinking it's going to be a depressing year for my team, the Braves.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,526,673 times
MLB Hot Stove: San Diego Padres Add Justin Upton, Wil Myers, Matt Kemp For Stacked Lineup, Good Chances In NL West [PHOTO] : Mstarz
And the latest " maybe" Pitcher Cole Hamels!
Proves to be an exciting year!

Old 12-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Couldn't of said it better myself

Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 PM

444 posts, read 668,414 times
At this time of year we usually hear about the BoSox, LA, NY when talking about player transactions.

It's pretty freakin weird seeing the Padres being the talk of the baseball world. Really really REALLY weird, man.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM

20,846 posts, read 17,195,174 times
Get Jason Verlander. Then we can talk.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM

50,617 posts, read 47,460,002 times
Some pretty funny comments on local radio about the age of these guys and the "assisted living" jokes where they are finding old talent.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 43,948 times
I have been a life long fan since 1976! I left in 1987 to serve our great Country, but it is great to see this much excitement during the off-season! How many of us have been this excited for the start of the new season?! Only thing that would make it sweeter is BRING BACK THE BROWN!!!! GO PADRES!!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
At this time of year we usually hear about the BoSox, LA, NY when talking about player transactions.

It's pretty freakin weird seeing the Padres being the talk of the baseball world. Really really REALLY weird, man.
yea we are usually sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Get Jason Verlander. Then we can talk.
Will Never Happen!
Although I want the padres to spends some money(the right way) I am also against spending 100-200 million on one player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some pretty funny comments on local radio about the age of these guys and the "assisted living" jokes where they are finding old talent.
yea I herd that

Quote:
Originally Posted by D68Soldier View Post
I have been a life long fan since 1976! I left in 1987 to serve our great Country, but it is great to see this much excitement during the off-season! How many of us have been this excited for the start of the new season?! Only thing that would make it sweeter is BRING BACK THE BROWN!!!! GO PADRES!!
Thanks for Serving Go Padres!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego