Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 92,745 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the boundary for Felony Flats in Apple Valley, CA?
Is there a firm boundary? Is there one or two streets that are worst than others? I am looking to purchase a rental property, and want to understand the area before I do. If the property I look at is in Felony Flats, should I avoid buying it? If the purchase price is cheap, are there tenants willing to live there at a lower rental price?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
Where do you get your information..? The area referred to as Felony Flats is a small area in one end of Apple Valley, and has recently gone through a major crack down and clean up. AV limits homes to 1/2 acre minimum to keep out the less desireable.....
I have lived in AV for five years, and the only crime I've seen are on TV...!!
Would you like the name of a good realtor in AV..? One that can answer the questions you have,,,,?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
This was covered earlier in the year: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...-hesperia.html

Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM

25 posts, read 92,745 times
Thanks guys. I re-read the link.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
My advise, invest in land not properties. I had renters in California in several of my properties from Simi Valley to Apple Valley and they were horriable!!!!! My rentals were $$ buckets. Renters don't care for the home they are living in period. I think out of the 15 years I had my rentals I maybe had two good renters. All my houses were nice homes in good areas and went to crap when renters came in.

And for those renters that are good in this forum, I wish I had you for a renter. Becuase most great renters tend to stay right where they are.

What problems I had:
Illegal cable and power wired to the house
Swamp cooler floods
Two renters knock down walls in my homes
Carpet ripped up
Fires from little kids and their parents not watching them
One home in Apple Valley was used as a drug house.
Hesperia home flooded from kids flushing down toys in the toliet
Countless hours at the court house, bank return check fees,
...the list goes on and on

I had good houses not junk in good neigborhoods/areas. One in SVL, One on the Mesa in Hesperia one off Apple Valley Rd in Apple Valley, one in Pinon Hills off Phelan Rd and one in Oak Hills.

I lost BIG time on these homes. I found an invester that purchased 1/2 of them for what I owed on them. I did own them all free and clear but as the rental market got bad with people that didn't care about their rental homes I had to take loans out on the homes to pay for the damages they made. Thousands and thousands of dollars gone. So I cut my loses and sold vowing never to do that again.

Oh, and never, ever rent to family. PERIOD did that too got burned.

Most of these people passed back ground and credit checks...only to find out later that they weren't living there at all. They would rent from me and let their other family members live there on their credit. One home I rented to this couple with two kids everything was fine. Until I needed to come by and pick up the rent because it wasn't deposited on time and then people that lived in my rental were not the people I rented to. And gave me the story that the people that lived there before (whom I rented too) rented the house out to the new people there now....

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
We had the pleasure of living in Felony Flats when I was younger. Gritty area even then, although we did see Roy Rogers. And I learned to ride my bike there.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM

108 posts, read 306,198 times
I read the other thread on this subject but still am not sure where this area is. Anyone want to give a more definitive location. In AV, north of the 18, east of ???, west of ???, south of ???

Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Roughly, North of 18 between Corwin Rd and Central.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Roughly, North of 18 between Corwin Rd and Central.
Good estimate

Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 28,906 times
I live in Felony Flats with my hubby and 4 kids. We have lived here for the last year. There are some roudy streets but the street we live on only gets the occasional drunk roaming up and down the street or a couple maybe having an argument. I think everyone kinda over exaggerates the situation over here. My kids love the schools over here and if it was not for my hubby's job we would stay here long term. The area you are referring to goes from Highway 18 and Rancherias to Dale Evans parkway and Highway 18 it only lasts for a couple blocks down from those 2 intersections. My suggestion is don't just take my word for it but knock on some neighbors doors and ask them about their street. We live on a pretty quiet street but I know there are 2 streets within the neighborhood that are ones to keep your distance from. When we bought a house in Wisconsin the first thing we did after the realtor left was knocked on the neighbors doors and asked questions this is the best way to get info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties