Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

Just want to re-post this link with info on Mission Stadium. For those who may have missed it.

The 1964 San Antonio Bullets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 AM

457 posts, read 661,730 times
Default Bowlerama on Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Always heard Negley's paint was really good. I remember when Earl Scheib's was there and forget the auto dealership. Remember a friend had a 66' Tempest i think. Used to get paychecks written on Northside Bank in 70's. Allen & Allen at 5 points....I've forgotten if they're still there or gone.

I bowled league some here and there with old friends. My back kept me from getting enough games in. Brother did well and I've seen 3 or 4 300's bowled. We bowled at old Bowlerama which became All Star in later years on Roosevelt. We played behind it when it was first built sometime early 60's. Bowled league at Southside and over on Blanco Rd. Forgotten the name. Bowled better when younger with a curve ball. Straightened out and just threw harder and back was killing me.

The bowling lanes you mentioned on Blanco were called Bowlerama when originally opened,
Blanco and Wiseman if memory serves.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 AM

Default *mud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
.....the gone RR.

are you referring to MKT or San Antonio and Aransa Pass??

here's that "Toudouze" photo labeled as the Jack W. Neal Bldg.
Jack W. Neal Building, 311-317 S. Flores Street, San Antonio, Texas :: General Photograph Collection

Do any of those documents list the address as San Pedro Place??

I believe it was 1915 the street name was changed to Ashby.

I coulda worded that differently.

Monte Vista Depot was northside of W Hollywood, east side of tracks.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6...3c2ac933a3.jpg
so I can find these easily later.......
this first one is a bonanza of gone San Antonio.....
Souvenir of the picturesque Alamo City, San Antonio, Texas :: Rare Books Collection
lotsa good stuff here.......
San Antonio, Then and Now (Image heavy) | San Antonio | Forums | TexAgs
Vault blog.........
From the Vault - A look into the E-N archives.

*Mud* Thanks for an outstanding collection of resources!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
The bowling lanes you mentioned on Blanco were called Bowlerama when originally opened,
While discussing this neighborhood.... Do any of you long-time posters know anything about the
Perkins Mansion on Blanco Rd.? It was located on the west side of Blanco between San Angelo and
Lamanda. It still existed in the early 1960's and was occupied by two elderly sisters. It had a corral
behind it, with the remaining property extending west. For many years Capitol was interrupted between
San Angelo and Lamanda, apparently because no right-of-way existed through the property.

The house, a two story, tan building was indeed a mansion. When growing up in the neighborhood,
the two sisters were most gracious and accommodating to the neighboring kids, including hosting parties and gatherings for us.
The interior was as impressive as anything Hollywood could have imagined or created!

By the late 60's - early 70's the entire property was "developed", resulting in a large apartment
complex, the gem that was the Perkins Mansion destroyed in the process. It was situated on the
same block as the Dairy Queen (that later became Los Barrios) just south of it.

Do any of you folks know anything about this Gone But Not Forgotten treasure?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM

OOPS! RE: Perkins Mansion, I mistakenly identified Grant as Capital, although the
Perkins property did extend west to Capital Also misidentified Weizman as Wiseman
as the east-west street north of Bowlerama on Blanco. (this is what happens when
one stays up all night following threads to old memories, and damn, how the city
has changed)!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
one stays up all night following threads to old memories, and damn, how the city
has changed)!
Same here...
There's "San Antonio Back In The Day" .
It's like a yearbook of our city with photos
of places & folks from long ago.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I was thinking Blanco and Basse but you may be right about Weizman. Yep Bowlerama. I misnamed the Bowling Alley on Roosevelt it was originally Bowlerland.
Quote:
While discussing this neighborhood.... Do any of you long-time posters know anything about the
Perkins Mansion on Blanco Rd.? It was located on the west side of Blanco between San Angelo and
Lamanda. It still existed in the early 1960's and was occupied by two elderly sisters. It had a corral
behind it, with the remaining property extending west. For many years Capitol was interrupted between
San Angelo and Lamanda, apparently because no right-of-way existed through the property.

The house, a two story, tan building was indeed a mansion. When growing up in the neighborhood,
the two sisters were most gracious and accommodating to the neighboring kids, including hosting parties and gatherings for us.
The interior was as impressive as anything Hollywood could have imagined or created!

By the late 60's - early 70's the entire property was "developed", resulting in a large apartment
complex, the gem that was the Perkins Mansion destroyed in the process. It was situated on the
same block as the Dairy Queen (that later became Los Barrios) just south of it.

Do any of you folks know anything about this Gone But Not Forgotten treasure?

Thanks
No sorry! Was around the area quite a bit in the 70's.
Quote:
OOPS! RE: Perkins Mansion, I mistakenly identified Grant as Capital, although the
Perkins property did extend west to Capital Also misidentified Weizman as Wiseman
as the east-west street north of Bowlerama on Blanco. (this is what happens when
has changed)!
Boy has it! Memories get weaker when so much has changed.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM

268 posts, read 594,224 times
Hoping someone can help. When I was growing up we had an old heavy platter, western themed, with Olmos Club around the rim. The only Olmos Club reference I can find are the apartments located near Olmos Park. I'm wondering if the Club used to be there.

Anyone has any information?

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM

The Argyle Club is the only thing I know of in the area nearby.. It has quite a history and sits just above Olmos Dam in AH. Or maybe it's to do with the golf course and skeet shooting near Contour Drive.

The Argyle’s Fascinating History - University of the Incarnate Word

Possibly before San Antonio Gun Club..

http://goo.gl/maps/iD0RL

Last edited by SATX56; 08-28-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getgoing2010 View Post
Hoping someone can help. When I was growing up we had an old heavy platter, western themed, with Olmos Club around the rim. The only Olmos Club reference I can find are the apartments located near Olmos Park. I'm wondering if the Club used to be there.

Anyone has any information?

Thanks.
No applause please, just throw money

Olmos Club - The RWCN Forums

Eugene "Mike" Nolte, Jr., like his father, was a powerful voice in the Republican Party and a prosperous businessman. He was a strong supporter of Republican Presidential candidates Wendell Wilke and Thomas Dewey. He and other "old guard" Republicans in Texas tried to nominate Senator Robert Taft of Ohio for President in 1952. Nolte was himself the Republican candidate for Texas Governor in 1946. In business, Nolte followed in his father's footsteps as President of Merchants Ice and Cold Storage Company. He was also a beer distributor and President of Alamo Poultry and Egg Company, as well as a Director of Nolte National Bank of Seguin.

Last edited by Deep Forest; 08-28-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio