Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 10:39 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
HEB locations in San Antonio aren’t as nice as the Houston locations and so far the DFW locations. Competition is great for the consumer
Agree.

But then again, just look at SA financial demographics. They're far below Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 05:49 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
How is being competitive wrong? The national chains that came into the market publicly stated that they intended to take market share from HEB. HEB said "Hold my beer", put on the gloves, and went at it with them toe to toe....and beat them at their own game. They're a regional grocer that took on national chains....and won. They've continually reinvested in their operations, and heavily support their local community, far beyond what others do.
I don’t have any understanding of the economics of grocery stores other than my own simplistic observations, but HEB certainly appears to be fabulously successful at what they do. I’ve never completely understood the massive amount of love that San Antonians have for the place however. I think it’s a perfectly fine grocery store, but in terms of prices, selection, customer service, etc, HEB seems just like ant other grocery store, be it Kroger, Albertsons, Publix, etc. But I am obviously the exception as the the amount of goodwill they have in the community is real and remarkable.

One final note…we used Kroger’s home delivery service while we were in San Antonio regularly. We like the convenience of home grocery delivery and really liked how Kroger used company trucks that were refrigerated to make their deliveries. Whenever we purchased groceries from Walmart or HEB, deliveries were always made by private vehicle via Instacart (I think). In talking to the Kroger delivery staff, it appeared they were not busy.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:47 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
It's not that HEB isn't great at what they do.

It's that most locals don't want competition.... And that's the mark of a truly stupid person.

Competition within business is healthy. Always has been, always will be.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:40 AM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
That new HEB out by the Dominion looks pretty damn nice. Same with the Stone Oak ones, Alon, Cibolo, Lincoln Heights, Bulverde + Bandera/1604, Spring Branch, etc. The inner city ones are generally trash though lol.

They're obviously doing something right. People from out of town bring it up more often than a grocery store should. I have a hard time imagining people traveling somewhere and going to Giant/Von's/Jewel Osco and bringing it up years later.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:41 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
HEB locations in San Antonio aren’t as nice as the Houston locations and so far the DFW locations. Competition is great for the consumer
The HEBs in both areas are equal where I shop. That said, I have the following stores in a 10 minute radius in San Antonio:

Blanco @ 1604
Bulverde Rd. @ 1604
Jones Maltsberger @ Thousand Oaks
Brook Hollow @ 281

In Houston, I normally shop at the

W Alabama @ Dunlavy
Atascocita

Old 04-01-2024, 09:58 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

It's that most locals don't want competition.... And that's the mark of a truly stupid person.

Such harsh name-calling for locals who are basically over-content with what they/we have in HEB.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 04-01-2024 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 08:33 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Or...maybe the store isn't offering what their customer is looking for.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:23 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Or...maybe the store isn't offering what their customer is looking for.
The main problem is Kroger doesn't tailor to the markets they serve. They probably don't have 10 different choices of marinated fajita meat, packaged refried beans and rice. Combo Loco meal deals, etc.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:53 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The main problem is Kroger doesn't tailor to the markets they serve. They probably don't have 10 different choices of marinated fajita meat, packaged refried beans and rice. Combo Loco meal deals, etc.
but....but....but......it's because HEB is mean!!!

If you can't meet your competition on the field, how do you expect to win????

Old 04-03-2024, 10:26 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I prefer HEB to Kroger. I get the general consesus that HEB doesn't offer the variety of brands some like but I lived in Atlanta area which has Kroger / Publix as the dominant stores, the main store I went to was Kroger and for me, HEB is a better store overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio