Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 19,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I did an intership at the San Antonio State Hospital during college. There are tunnels underneath the grounds of the hospital many do not know about. VERY creeeeeepy. They used to give tours down there (from what I understood a loong time ago), but boarded them up because it had a stigma attached to SASH being called the "lunatic asylum" when it was first opened in the 1800s. I remember seeing pics of the tunnels in the patient library (WHY they placed these in the patient library is beyond me), there were even chains on the tunnel walls. They placed the more aggressive patients in these tunnels.
Working currently at SASH, I can confirm that the tunnels have been sealed (for the most part) and quite a few of the pictures have been taken down, but there are still ways into the service tunnels.
-S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
also, my OBGYN has an office right across the street from Methodist and he told me there was an underground tunnel for the docs to use from their offices to the hospital for emergency deliveries --- keep in mind i was under pain medication when i heard this so i may be making this part up entirely!!!
Yep, there is a tunnel between Methodist Hospital and Methodist Plaza. It's actually open for anyone who needs to go between the two buildings.

Talking about downtown tunnels, there's the one of course between the courthouse and the justice center. There's also the one between Frost Bank and the Rand Building, and there's another one between the Crowne Plaza hotel and the parking garage catty-corner across Soledad.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

187 posts, read 945,498 times
Methodist tunnels? been there - made out w Mari with there. : )Nacogdoches tunnels? been there spelunked in high school with the explorers.A tunnel called the foot ball field - 50yrds of a 18 inch in diameter tube. Had to crawl on stomach. guide didnt think ahead to realize we would come out in differnt area. One of us three who went through had a flashlight. He was in front, I in back. The further he got the more I tripped the more I tripped the further I got. My best friend was cool enough to stay behind with me ...in pitch black. we used the walls to guide ourself to who knows where.mission tunnels!? cool love to see emstate hospital tunnels?? love to see emolmos basin ? love to see emSo Im organizing an exploratory mission. If you have interest or knowledge on how/where pm me.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 15,216 times
Thanks for the post wCat. I have been in some of he service tunnels underneath the Convention Center... was told there is one that runs between the CC and Alamodome, used primarily by vendors/catering folks.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
if they knocked down all of the crazy peoples houses in san antonio you would be able to see the hill counrty from the toyota plant.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Tunnels are sooo creepy. Is there any light in them? Any dead bodies? Any pictures?
How big are they exactly?
Chains in the tunnel to contain mentally ill patients? That sounds like a horror movie.
Someone made out in a tunnel according to this thread right? Werent you a little bit worried that something nefast could suddenly manifest?
Anyone find any skeletons down there or worry they might not make it out again?
Anyone go alone and feel "something" or "someone" was following them?
Any creepy vibes?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Most of them have lights right?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 19,225 times
The ones under the state hospital have lights, they're just never turned on. Doubt that there are any dead bodies in there, though, from what one of my supervisors told me, there used to be derelicts living in them, before they were sealed. yes, you can still see the ringbolts set into the ground where patients used to be chained up. Nothing 'silent hill' or 'HP Lovecraft' about it, just old, unused steam and access tunnels that used to house violent mental patients before the 'new science' of psychology changed the way we view and treat the mentally ill.
-S.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,097 times
This is so interesting. My grandfather spoke of tunnels than ran from the missions to San Pedro park. I would love to hear more on this!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,045 times
Question What is in My backyard?

We live in the East part of Town close to New Braunfels St. Our home is maybe about 60 or 70 yrs old, and so are alot of the homes around here. Centuries ago this neighborhood was known as Jefferson Heights
A couple of year ago we made a discovery, I would hope someone would give me some information on this or would have a clue on what I have in my backyard.

we have a large backyard and there is more than enough space to park a couple of cars back there. A few years ago We had a car parked in the back in a space where the ground is mainly dirt, when we noticed that one of the back tires was slightly sinking in making the ground sink in, as if the car was pushing the ground in, This was ilogical since theres no way that can happen. We were curious and What we did was move the car and start digging to see what was causing the car to start caving in.
It was not even about 2 ft deep of digging when we discovered that there was only 2 ft of ground there, underneath that layer of ground was empty space something like a cave or a tunnel. We made a hole large enough for a person to fit in and a family member went underground, There is enough space for people to walk under there, being down there the only thing we found was a large empty coffee can , the walls down there are surrounded with something like brick, We have no clue what it is or what it was used for, an old friend told us that a couple of blocks form here, near washington Elem. school there were underground tunnels used back centuries ago leading to ilegal prostitution homes. I Have no clue what This thing in my backyard is, and would be very interested in knowng since the home and property is owned now by us. If anyone knows of underground caves or tunnels around here share your info. I would be glad unsolve this mystery.

Nalaura,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio