Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM

103 posts, read 250,690 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have not posted in a while and I need advice. So let me give you a run down of my crazy life.
I'm in school finishing up my bachelors. Hubby is in a tech field that is specific and has been working contract for the last 10 years. The last 5 1/2 of that has been HELL! It seems to be either feast or famine. Our hearts desire is to have a permanent job with benefits and vacation. We seriously have not taken one in about 10 years and that really sucks. Working contract is no joke and extremely stressful. It seems he is working half the year and the other half we are searching for his next job. That being said our only goal is to find permanent employment for some stability. It is probably what a lot of other people take for granted, but it is our deepest desire at this point. Well, we moved to Austin in July of last year for a position that was promised to go contract to perm. About 2 months in my husband's boss decided to let him know that she was leaving and that she had to lie to him in the interview about the position going perm and it was only going to be contract. All I can think of is here we go again. So we start searching while working, (thank God) for a perm position. I am originally from Dallas and my family is all here along with my oldest daughter who is in college. If it were up to me I would live here and plant my roots, because of the reasons I mentioned. Well, my hubby interviewed for a position in the DFW area for a perm position in his field in December and January, and they have been dragging their feet due to red tape getting all the necessary paperwork signed off, etc. We heard from HR and guess what? They are going to put him on contract and then change him over to perm later, because they are going through a re-org or something. Really? Here we go again. We were stupid and moved ourselves from Austin to Dallas thinking that the process was going to take a couple of weeks like HR had mentioned, but we were wrong. We are still waiting for my husband to start contract there and he is unemployed at the moment. He has taken his drug test and other stuff, but we are still this waiting for his start date. This waiting is freaking me out a bit. In the meantime we are interviewing for other positions. One that he is interviewing for is in San Antonio and it is perm and is perfect and exactly what my hubby does. I am sad about it though, because we wanted to be here and moved here for the job that was promised to us. We have been back in the DFW area for about 3 months now. I need some advice. Please help. Oh and I forgot to mention that my Dear Uncle passed away once we moved here and it really hit home how we should be close to family. I need prayer y'all. Sigh..
Sorry for the long post. Any advice is appreciated.

Sc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Move, you have to live for your own family cluster.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
So I didn't really see any questions.. but advise we can all give.. If you feel it will make it better for you and your family then I would go ahead and move... especially if you are sure this is a permanent job. It doesn't appear you have much to lose up in Big D. I will assume you have family in SA so I would move..

Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Usually people come here to ask questions about living in San Antonio when work is already decided. If you tell us what things you liked most about Austin and DFW, we can probably tell you about some equivalent things here.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM

I am sorry if I was not clear. We do not have any family in SA it would be just my husband, our 4 year old and myself. My husband's family is in Bryan College Station. All of my family is in Dallas, including our oldest daughter. We would move to SA IF we have a offer once my husband interviews. It might possibly be an option and if everything goes well, but like I said I am a little sad since we just moved back and have only been back home for 3 months AND with everything that happened with my uncle dying in Feb.
What is it like living in SA? Has anyone from Dallas moved to SA and how do you feel about it. I know it is an amazing place to visit, but I don't know anything about living there. Just considering options now I guess

Thanks,
Sc

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Back in 2006, I needed a change from the long, frigid, depressing winters of New England. I had worked in every sector of the insurance field imaginable. Since my field was pretty broad, I knew I had pick of the four major cities. I needed an inexpensive place, with warm weather, in an urban area. I chose San Antonio. Dallas was too far north and isolated for me, and that nasty b***h Katrina talked me out of Houston the year before. I knew that Austin was less than an hour form the north side of SA. So, I picked SA. It just made sense because I knew I could get more for my money here. Like the rest of the Texaplex, it was growing economically. Being single with no kids, people tried to talk me into Austin, but I have a good job, and I met some of the best friends of my life because this town is so damn friendly. No regrets seven years later. Since you're married, you'll have it that much easier, too.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM

Wow thank you so much for telling me that. It sure makes me feel a lot better. I have been really thinking about it and even though my family is all here and I love the big D, my husband and I are very open to SA. The main reason is because of the opportunity being given and because we are looking at it being a pretty friendly town with family oriented people. The thought of gaining great friends like family would be amazing! I mean it would be hard to leave since we just got here, but to move to a beautiful place with hill country might be just what God had intended all along. Regardless, I am just ready to get settled and plant my roots wherever they are meant to be. I was hoping at home, but maybe not. If anyone prays, or meditates, please send some up for me and my family. We could certainly use some good news.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We are staying open and ready.
Sc

Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 AM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times
I lived in the HEB area in 2001 but San Antonio is home now. The Drive is only 5 hrs or a 40 min flight. Far enough but close enough too. You should be fine.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 107,379 times
San Antonio is a wonderful town and I think you would really like it here. I certainly understand the desire to be close to family. My sister and I are very close and I hate being so far away from her and our aging parents and especially my baby nephew who all live in the same small town in Mississippi. But my job requires me to live in a city, so until I retire, small town life is just not in the cards for me.

Dallas is close enough that you could get up there fairly frequently to visit for reasonable cost. Southwest has some decent fares and flights to Dallas every hour. I also know some people who take the Amtrak from SA to Dallas and say that it's a good alternative.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Well, I won't lie, I am not close to my family we sort of split apart after our grandparents passed. The same thing happened to my husband's side of the family. We try to reach out, but it is only once in a while that we see each other. Being in another city might actually be good for us. I just wish I could convince my daughter to move with us, but she won't since she is glued to her boyfriend. Not a good situation to be honest. I have to let her figure it out for herself though. Maybe I can fly her down for a mini vacation and do some fun stuff with her. I hate being so far away from her. My husband keeps saying we can't base our lives on her though. She is grown and her decisions are her decisions. Sad but true. Sigh... I am torn mostly because of that. It is hom, my oldest is here, my family is here even though I don't see them often and a few high school friends that I don't even see that often either. It's familiar and comfortable.
We are open to this opportunity SA. I mean it's everything we have been asking for minus the location, but it still in Texas. We watched some video of SA last night and it is beautiful. We watched some people in NB tubing too and that really looked awesome. I have lived in Texas all my life and I have never floated down the Comal river. I would love to make some traditions with my family doing stuff like that. Not to mention meeting new friends. It is very appealing. All I know is that the last 5 1/2 years have been a big struggle and it is time that we get our break. Just one time we want an opportunity to have what most take for granted. Insurance, vacation time, paid time off, a steady job that won't end in 6 months and opportunity for growth, oh and to buy a house! We are just having to trust God for it and believe that if it is possible for others it can be for us too. All prayers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio