Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,327 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to SA and my wife will be primarily at UTHSC. We are considering a rental in the vicinity of Farm to Market 1535 and Wurzbach Pkwy. It looks like a pretty easy commute to the medical center, the elementary school is Oak Meadows which appears to be pretty good, and it is generally centrally located.

Any opinions why we should or should not choose this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,738,867 times
That's a great place. No reason not to. Oak Meadow is a great area with good schools. Churchill has a history of being prestigious. I haven't heard anything bad/good about Jackson Middle School and Oak Meadow is, indeed good. And just a little tid bit of info, the New Jersey's Nets guard, Derron Williams went to second grade at Oak Meadow.

And just FYI most San Antonians will call this stretch of FM 1535 NW Military HWY (not to get confused with Military, SW Military Dr of SE Military Dr...all of which are in other areas of the city).

It should take your wife about 25 minutes to get to work.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

693 posts, read 1,504,437 times
I live around this area and went to Oak Meadow Elementary in the 90's. It is a great school to go to. Jackson Middle School is a little rough but no where near as rough as the inner city schools. I saw a few fights but fights can happen at any school. As long as you don't start any problems you should be fine. They wear uniforms now, I didn't have that when I went. Some of the neighborhoods around this area go to Eisenhower too. I think most of the ones on NW Military go to Jackson and also the Hunters Creek area. I never went to Churchill High School because I stayed at Lee instead of going there. Your kids should be fine at Churchill as long as they stay out of trouble and don't hang out with the wrong crowd.

This is a great area to live in because you're a few minutes from all the major highways in the city minus I35. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get to downtown depending on traffic. If you like to shop you're close to La Cantera, North Star Mall, and also tons of strip malls too. You can easily get to any part of the city being centrally located. Big plus is you don't have to deal with Stone Oak traffic but you need to get to Stone Oak for something you're close by.

Be careful about Castle Hills and Shavano Park because they love giving speeding tickets. Whatever you do don't speed in those towns.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 PM

417 posts, read 818,015 times
I'm new to SA, but the HEB at Wurzbach and NW Military (I think that's the right intersection) has my favorite HEB.

I would buy over there if I could find something I like.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,044,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I live around this area and went to Oak Meadow Elementary in the 90's. It is a great school to go to. Jackson Middle School is a little rough but no where near as rough as the inner city schools. I saw a few fights but fights can happen at any school. As long as you don't start any problems you should be fine. They wear uniforms now, I didn't have that when I went. Some of the neighborhoods around this area go to Eisenhower too. I think most of the ones on NW Military go to Jackson and also the Hunters Creek area. I never went to Churchill High School because I stayed at Lee instead of going there. Your kids should be fine at Churchill as long as they stay out of trouble and don't hang out with the wrong crowd.

This is a great area to live in because you're a few minutes from all the major highways in the city minus I35. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get to downtown depending on traffic. If you like to shop you're close to La Cantera, North Star Mall, and also tons of strip malls too. You can easily get to any part of the city being centrally located. Big plus is you don't have to deal with Stone Oak traffic but you need to get to Stone Oak for something you're close by.

Be careful about Castle Hills and Shavano Park because they love giving speeding tickets. Whatever you do don't speed in those towns.

I'd like to clarify about Castle Hills and Shavano Park. They do love giving you speeding tickets, but the thing is that you could be driving at an appropriate speed for the road and not actually "speeding", but in the eyes of THEIR law, you'll be speeding. The reason is that their speed limits are artificially low for the design and conditions of the road. So even if you think you're going the speed limit, you probably are if it weren't in a city hell-bent on revenue generation. So just follow the speed limits there, despite them being disgustingly low and keep your money in your pocket and not in their podunk, punk town.

35 mph on Lockhill-Selma and De Zavala in S.P. and 45 mph on NW Military in S.P. Castle Hills, I think is 30 mph or 40 mph in some sections. Just pay more attention than usual if you ever have to traverse that unfortunate landscape and you'll be fine! Best of luck and welcome to San Antonio. We really are a wonderful city despite the unbelievably pathetic cesspools such as Shavano Park and Castle Hills.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM

487 posts, read 993,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We really are a wonderful city despite the unbelievably pathetic cesspools such as Shavano Park and Castle Hills.
According to Wikipedia:"A cesspit, or cesspool is a pit, conservancy tank, or covered cistern, which can be used to dispose of sewage or refuse."

Pretty harsh words for such nice parts of the city. I had enough money I would definitely live there. I commute through both towns every day and man, those houses are nice!

Perhaps you have been the "victim" of their strict enforcement for speeding?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfy0509 View Post
We are relocating to SA and my wife will be primarily at UTHSC. We are considering a rental in the vicinity of Farm to Market 1535 and Wurzbach Pkwy. It looks like a pretty easy commute to the medical center, the elementary school is Oak Meadows which appears to be pretty good, and it is generally centrally located.

Any opinions why we should or should not choose this area?
I live pretty close to that area and I can tell you that is very nice. It may not be very "pedestrian friendly" but is very central and has a lot of shopping and eating options within a short drive distance. A friend of mine just bought a house on a new KB neighborhood and her experience with the community and the house it's been pretty good so far. There is a relatively new HEB (Alon) with a nice strip mall, there is the Jewish Community Center (which has as lot of events and activities for everyone). Castle Hills is within 5 min. drive and there are many restaurants there. Also close to La Cantera (big upscale open mall), North Star Mall (big, more moderate mall) etc. etc.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I'm new to SA, but the HEB at Wurzbach and NW Military (I think that's the right intersection) has my favorite HEB.

I would buy over there if I could find something I like.
It's a good area. In a few months, that store will soon be across the street from Phase 2 of one of the largest parks in the city. Once the park is completely built, that area will become even more desirable.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's a good area. In a few months, that store will soon be across the street from Phase 2 of one of the largest parks in the city. Once the park is completely built, that area will become even more desirable.
What park is that? Sounds pretty cool....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
What park is that? Sounds pretty cool....
Phil Hardberger Park Conservancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio