Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 06:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

One more hike to consider...

The Bonneville Shoreline Trail. As you may or may not know, about half of Utah was, in prehistoric times, covered by a huge fresh water lake that was formed at the end of the last ice age when the glaciers started melting. Eventually, this lake came to be about 1000 feet deep. It ceased to exist pretty suddenly, actually, when an earthen dam up near the Utah-Idaho border collapsed under the weight of the water, releasing 33 million cubic feet of water per second into Idaho’s Snake River Plain. This flood is believed to be the second largest flood in known geologic history. Geologists claim that the water from Lake Bonneville formed a river which, during its duration, was about the same width as the Amazon is today. After the flood, major changes in the earth’s climate continued to cause the lake to shrink until today, we have only a few reminders that it ever existed at all. You can see one of these reminders over here to the north where the shorelines of the lake have cut a series of natural terraces into the side of the mountain.

Today you can walk along where the shoreline of Lake Bonneville once was. It's almost impossible to say exactly how long the trail actually is, because there are numerous trailheads to it at various points throughout the valley. The only part I've hiked is from a trailhead at the eastern end of "the Avenues" to the "This is the Place Heritage Park." On this section of the trail, you'll actually run into Red Butte Gardens and the trailhead to the Living Room. The Natural History Museum is right next door to Bed Butte Gardens. Here is a website that gives you a little more information about the location of each trailhead and the distance between them. Also, this isn't a "hike" exactly, since there is little elevation change from one part of the trail to another. It's more like a nice walk on a dirt trail around the edge of the city. You're looking down on the city from almost every point along the trail.

By the way, another poster told you there really wasn't much to see at the "This is the Place" Monument. I suspect he is unaware of a rather interesting state park that is adjacent to the monument. It's called "This is the Place Heritage Park." It's actually a 450-acre reconstructed pioneer village, a little bit on the order of Colonial Williamsburg, if you're familiar with that. People in period costume demonstrate pioneer activities and skills and it's like you've stepped back in time to the years between 1847 and 1869 when the transcontinental railroad was completed. You can't really see the village from the monument (but you can get a heck of a good view of the city from it). To get to the village, you have to go into the visitors center and make your way through aisle after aisle of the most godawful collection of carnival-quality souvenirs you've ever seen. Once you enter the village itself, though, it's definitely worth a couple of hours at least.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-15-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'm just a super OCD travel planner (this stuff is my favorite hobby)...
An OCD travel planner, huh? Man, that is something I can totally relate to!

Old 03-28-2021, 12:17 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Does light rail cover enough ground to get to the airport an downtown and visit the local sites or is SLC a city where a car is preferred for local travel? I would be in town 4-5 nights.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Does light rail cover enough ground to get to the airport an downtown and visit the local sites or is SLC a city where a car is preferred for local travel? I would be in town 4-5 nights.
The light rail will get you from the airport to downtown Salt Lake and it's just about a ten-minute ride. There are a few things you can see in the downtown area without a car, and the light rail will also take you up to the University of Utah campus, where there are a few things to do. Salt Lake City is pretty much a city where you need a car to get around a lot, and rentals are reasonable here. Of course, there's also Uber and Lyft. When are you coming?

Old 03-28-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The light rail will get you from the airport to downtown Salt Lake and it's just about a ten-minute ride. There are a few things you can see in the downtown area without a car, and the light rail will also take you up to the University of Utah campus, where there are a few things to do. Salt Lake City is pretty much a city where you need a car to get around a lot, and rentals are reasonable here. Of course, there's also Uber and Lyft. When are you coming?
Shorter than anticipated. Targeting May 28-31 now. Looks like I will be staying in Sandy but a friend of a friend has volunteered to cheauffer us around. Looking forward to it. Find nice used bookstore options in SLC proper!

Old 03-28-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Shorter than anticipated. Targeting May 28-31 now. Looks like I will be staying in Sandy but a friend of a friend has volunteered to cheauffer us around. Looking forward to it. Find nice used bookstore options in SLC proper!
Ken Sanders Books, I assume?

Old 03-28-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Ken Sanders Books, I assume?
Yes. Also visiting Utah Book & Magazine and others. Looks like a lot of great options for books in SLC.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yes. Also visiting Utah Book & Magazine and others. Looks like a lot of great options for books in SLC.
Well, enjoy yourself! I hope you find a lot of "finds."

Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 PM

If there is only time for one burger stop:

Hires Big H or Crown Burgers?

Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
If there is only time for one burger stop:

Hires Big H or Crown Burgers?
Of those two, I'd definitely say Crown Burgers. I used to love Hires, but IMO they've gone downhill in recent years. Also consider "Lucky 13" at 135 West 1300 South (really close to the ballpark) and the "Cotton Bottom" right in Cottonwood Heights. They are especially noted for their garlic burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area