Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 05:53 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times

Advertisements

Funny, I never even thought of it from the parents' point of view, that eventually their grown children might move away because there wasn't much for them where they had been raised. I was thinking of it solely from the children's point of view, that they had experienced isolation and "otherness" in childhood, and so had left the area as soon as it was possible - namely, the minute they had been graduated from high school.

But if the teenaged CHILDREN in several different South Asian families living in SLC these days say that their experience has been good, then I think you can expect that your children's experience would be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:34 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoslc View Post
@Parentologist , thank you for your reply and I appreciate your point of view. We checked with few Indian (South Asian) families and one of them is living in SLC for more than 20 years with mom being a teacher at public elementary school. After talking to them we are even more determined for our move as they all had to say nice things about SLC. Of course the common theme is to stay in east side of the SLC county so we will focus on that area only, they also mentioned that the area is becoming more diverse so things may look different by the time kids get to high school. We are introverts and don't have much of a social life, that is true. The place we live in right now does not have much to offer for our interest, the kids are interested in music, chess, hiking etc.

We have been living in deep south for more than 15 years as a minority, our kids are only South Asian kids in each of their class so living in SLC may bring diverse experience for us and them. We are aware of the possibility of them moving away and are ready for them to go live wherever their lives take them, it will be the case no matter where in the world we live. Once they get their wings, they can fly away wherever the wind takes them. We have done the same, so can't stop them. All we are looking for is a family oriented communities that invest in education, health, and there are job options if they decide to live near by. Even if we are working from home, we should be able to find job easily in case we loose ours. We have done pretty extensive research when it comes to our next move in the US. We also looked into other cities - states, but SLC still checks out for most of our requirements and can't wait to make this big move!

I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!
While I was just in SLC and have really come to like the city, I would also suggest you check out Chandler, AZ. Large Indian community, good schools and it has a growing tech scene.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:27 PM

28 posts, read 33,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Funny, I never even thought of it from the parents' point of view, that eventually their grown children might move away because there wasn't much for them where they had been raised. I was thinking of it solely from the children's point of view, that they had experienced isolation and "otherness" in childhood, and so had left the area as soon as it was possible - namely, the minute they had been graduated from high school.

But if the teenaged CHILDREN in several different South Asian families living in SLC these days say that their experience has been good, then I think you can expect that your children's experience would be good too.
Every family works differently, I know what MY CHILDREN need right now and we as a family will figure out whatever comes in future. Thank you again for your feedback!

Old 11-30-2020, 05:30 PM

338 posts, read 310,687 times
Quote:
@Parentologist , thank you for your reply and I appreciate your point of view. We checked with few Indian (South Asian) families and one of them is living in SLC for more than 20 years with mom being a teacher at public elementary school. After talking to them we are even more determined for our move as they all had to say nice things about SLC. Of course the common theme is to stay in east side of the SLC county so we will focus on that area only, they also mentioned that the area is becoming more diverse so things may look different by the time kids get to high school. We are introverts and don't have much of a social life, that is true. The place we live in right now does not have much to offer for our interest, the kids are interested in music, chess, hiking etc.

We have been living in deep south for more than 15 years as a minority, our kids are only South Asian kids in each of their class so living in SLC may bring diverse experience for us and them. We are aware of the possibility of them moving away and are ready for them to go live wherever their lives take them, it will be the case no matter where in the world we live. Once they get their wings, they can fly away wherever the wind takes them. We have done the same, so can't stop them. All we are looking for is a family oriented communities that invest in education, health, and there are job options if they decide to live near by. Even if we are working from home, we should be able to find job easily in case we loose ours. We have done pretty extensive research when it comes to our next move in the US. We also looked into other cities - states, but SLC still checks out for most of our requirements and can't wait to make this big move!

I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!
You've got a great attitude. I think you'll be happy here.

SLC (especially the areas you've been looking at) is definitely family-oriented. It's one of the main reasons we chose to move to UT from the south. We love that there are parks and playgrounds everywhere. Good library system, museums, and a variety of extracurricular options to keep the kids stimulated, both physically and mentally.

Utah spends the lowest per capita on education, but on the flip side, there is also a LOT of parental involvement and support. Lots of stay at home moms here = very involved in their kids education.

Plus great hospitals (the U and Primary Children's) and silicone slopes tech jobs/business-friendly economy/low unemplyment rate compared to the rest of the nation. It checks off your list.

I recommend you tour some of the schools that pique your interest. That will help you narrow down specific school boundaries in which you wish to buy.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 33,993 times
Hello everyone! I just wanted to update that we moved to Utah in Summer 2021 and that's the best decision we made for our family. We found a home in Draper during crazy bidding war times, we kept getting outbid and finally were able to find home while in Louisiana. We packed everything and drove 4 days straight, closed on the house and moved in. Kids love their school, have made many friends. We also made friends and love outdoor activities, including snow. I have many things going on with kids schedule, my work-school schedule, and all the activities in between. That's the reason I could not log in earlier, I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions. Appreciate all of you and this community, sorry could not thank earlier. Stay safe and well!

Thank you!

Old 03-04-2023, 03:47 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! I just wanted to update that we moved to Utah in Summer 2021 and that's the best decision we made for our family. We found a home in Draper during crazy bidding war times, we kept getting outbid and finally were able to find home while in Louisiana. We packed everything and drove 4 days straight, closed on the house and moved in. Kids love their school, have made many friends. We also made friends and love outdoor activities, including snow. I have many things going on with kids schedule, my work-school schedule, and all the activities in between. That's the reason I could not log in earlier, I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions. Appreciate all of you and this community, sorry could not thank earlier. Stay safe and well!

Thank you!
So happy it worked out well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area