Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 11:34 PM

914 posts, read 975,006 times

Advertisements

Can I just say, do people in SLC realise how lucky they are. Since I arrived I have been so impressed by the choice of events on offer and also the lack of cost. Katzpur & others, my friends back home have been so impressed by not only the amount of events I have been to here but how affordable they are and how many free ones there are. I am a girl who likes a night out with the girls, as a family and with my lovely hubby and believe me there has been something for everyone here.

I have been with the family to see George Ezra, Ed Sheeran, several soccer matches as well as free movies and to see the Utah symphony.

This week my kids are away at girl scout camp and so I intend to take advantage of the free movies on offer tomorrow night as well as some alternative movies during the day. Tuesday I am going to watch RSL vs LA Galaxy in a cup game for the bargain price of $19 and it means I get to watch 2 EPL legends play for LA Galaxy namely Robbie Keane and Steven Gerrard. In the 2 years I spent in New Zealand I missed soccer terribly as they were a rugby nation and had to settle for cricket instead. I have also now got tickets to see Train at Usana next Sunday with friends(one of whom just arrived from Europe to live here) and I look forward to rocking on and am excited to see what other fabulous bands are heading this way this summer. Our family actually find ourselves with heads spinning trying to decide what to do of a weekend along with actually getting out hiking!

I think I have been to more concerts in 5 months here than in 5 years in the UK and can I just say I am loving it. For someone with such an eclectic taste in music and the arts , Utah certainly does it for me! Plus I never need to take an umbrella to an event INCASE it rains

So for those worried about Utah, yes it does take some getting used to sometimes and has its quirks (as I have found in certain parts of life) but it also has so much to offer to all walks of lives, ages and demographics. For an extrovert and dancing queen (pardon the ABBA pun) like me I am slowly starting to get to really enjoy this place and hopefully the masses of good here and the fact my kids and hubby love it so much is helping me to live with the few things I slightly struggle with now and again especially as unlike a lot of others I don't have family here apart from my husband and kids and I am in no way religious (any denomination). I respect others who are but its just not for me (and coming from where I do no one ever cares or asks), and I am pleased to say it has not affected how others have treated my kids luckily as they are well mannered, and respectful as this is the way they have been bought up and the way both my husband and I were too. Luckily they have lots of friends and are often invited to things such as parties and playdates.

We are starting to build up a good network of friends from all walks of life and although it does sometimes take more effort than normal it has paid off, there are some lovely people here in Utah and don't let some experiences ruin it. Get your kids involved in things like soccer, sport or an activity and this helps to expand not only their social circle but yours too and also starts with a common interest.
Be gracious and smile . I do not live in downtown SLC but in Salt Lake County so you don't have to be downtown all the time to find some fun. I am enjoying the summer here and look forward to some outdoor adventures still come the winter . I am also looking forward to returning to my job after the summer hols as I have made some good friends there who although don't always go out socially as I would expect , they do give me a fun and enjoyable time when I am at work and for that I am grateful.

Just thought I would give a little shout out to what there is to do here and show that it may not be NYC but it certainly has loads to offer in terms of lifestyle and variety. I'm sure there will be a few more ups and downs but by and large here it has mainly been ups and hope I can focus on that and not let others hopefully affect how I feel. I am a social person and a good one, I know that by the amount of friends that have kept in touch back home, and also are coming to visit here even though we are 1000's of miles away. That also goes for the kids friends back in the UK and those people are worth their weight in gold.

You know people are genuine when they make an effort to stay in touch whether you are near or far and although you have moved away with your family are gone but not forgotten. We have 2 years here initially and I intend to experience not only what Utah has to offer but get to really see some of the US and venture out as I we have done already and really get to know all the parts of the US. I am grateful that some here have already made it a pleasant experience and been a safety net for us like family when we have needed them!

Last edited by Montygirl; 07-13-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 AM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Here's a link people may find useful: Now Playing Utah. We use it at the Salt Lake Visitors Center quite a bit. You may have to do some filtering, since it covers the entire state of Utah, but it's a good resource when used correctly.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks Katzpur

Old 07-13-2015, 10:46 AM

714 posts, read 748,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
...Tuesday I am going to watch RSL vs LA Galaxy in a cup game for the bargain price of $19 and it means I get to watch 2 EPL legends play for LA Galaxy namely Robbie Keane and Steven Gerrard.

FYI, the tickets for US Open Cup matches are so low because it is very rare for 1st team players like Gerrard, Keane, etc. to make the trip, let alone play in the match if it is not at least a semifinal (this is the round of 16).

The USOC is not nearly as big here as the FA Cup in the UK in comparison to other domestic competitions.

For your sake I hope they are at least in the building!

Old 07-13-2015, 02:37 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,995,013 times
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/EventSearch#/

I use this to plan our weekends around.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
FYI, the tickets for US Open Cup matches are so low because it is very rare for 1st team players like Gerrard, Keane, etc. to make the trip, let alone play in the match if it is not at least a semifinal (this is the round of 16).

The USOC is not nearly as big here as the FA Cup in the UK in comparison to other domestic competitions.

It is advertised as they are going to be there! Yes I do realise that and the quality is nowhere near that of the EPL which I used to frequent at least once a month to watch Tottenham but bit of a long way to go(although not much difference in flight prices between flying round most of the US and flying back to the UK! $2400 to NYC for a family of 4, $3500 to fly to see my relatives in Ireland!) home to watch the FA cup and tbh tickets for that unless its the early stages are upward on $150 pp meaning the real fans either have to spend lots or just watch on TV anyway. However the atmosphere is good and the stadium is impressive and at least I get to watch some soccer instead of rugby.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Events | Calendar | Salt Lake City Weekly

I use this to plan our weekends around.
Thanks , yes I get the hardcopy of this every week ! Saw Close encounters today and also the movie documentary of Amy which was very emotional. Lots more on at Salt Lake Film Institute this week which has marvellous alternative films and very affordable so off there again tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post

Gerard and Keane were there and they both still have a lot to offer. Also pleased with the Real win and probably one of the best quality/exciting matches I have seen there so far and I've been to a few. Keane played the whole match, he is captain so you would expect him to and Gerard played the whole second half. A very good debut for him in the MLS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area