Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:41 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,702,219 times

Advertisements

League of American Bicyclists * Bicycle Friendly Community Campaign

Road cycling is my life !

Super-Sacto-Cali-Peeps on CD: Why is this true? Your impressions please....

Is it because:

1. Municipality of Davis builds bike paths and bike lanes 'n stuff?

2. The terrain or scenery or (lack of) traffic make it superb for road cycling?

3. It's got great mountain biking nearby?

4. Aw shucks, it's just a lot of stupid hippie college students on cruisers with squeaky chains that haven't been oiled in 4 years?

5. The weather is the f**king best for bike riding, dude?

5. All of the above?

Okay, what's the deal wit dat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Default Oops....forgot one:

7. City Council and Davis police department don't mind if you show off your anus all day in traffic while participating in the world famous "World Naked Bike Ride Day" protest event?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,086,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post

Super-Sacto-Cali-Peeps on CD: Why is this true? Your impressions please...
I would say the reason is public policy. Perhaps this is obvious, but in my view, it's often understated. Many cities complain and complain about traffic. I'm not talking about big places like Los Angeles, but smaller cities, say 200,000 population. All through the 80s, 90s and even 2000s, they were not been able to see how to grow without luxury accommodations for SUV-and-driver, then these same cities sit back and wonder where all the cars came from! Well, public policy in the planning and approval stages with a "behind the windshield" development mentality.... So Davis deserves five gold stars for its insistence on choosing a different path during the planning and approval stages at city hall. Great job!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM

305 posts, read 1,730,864 times
Quote:

Super-Sacto-Cali-Peeps on CD: Why is this true? Your impressions please....

Is it because:

1. Municipality of Davis builds bike paths and bike lanes 'n stuff?

2. The terrain or scenery or (lack of) traffic make it superb for road cycling?

3. It's got great mountain biking nearby?

4. Aw shucks, it's just a lot of stupid hippie college students on cruisers with squeaky chains that haven't been oiled in 4 years?

5. The weather is the f**king best for bike riding, dude?

5. All of the above?

Okay, what's the deal wit dat?
I think one of the biggest factors is the fact that UC Davis is located there and many of the residents are connected to the university, either as students or professors/faculty/staff. The university highly encourages student biking: freshmen aren't allowed to get parking permits for the dorms, parking permits on campus are expensive, there isn't much metered parking, there isn't much street parking available around campus, and Davis isn't very large so most of the off-campus housing is close to campus and therefore many of the students choose to bike. Faculty choose to bike for many of the same reasons.

Davis as a community tends to be more environmentally friendly, so people choose to bike around town instead of driving. Biking also encourages community interaction (Davis is a very tight-knit community).

Davis is a small town; the streets aren't large or very dangerous (most of the streets are just two lanes and speed limit is 25-30 mph, and if it's higher there are bike paths on the side) and it's only a few miles from downtown to any part of town. Biking to nearby Winters, Dixon or Woodland makes for a nice day out; it's not too far but you get some exercise and it isn't super dangerous.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Actually, UCD doesn't have a lot of "hippie college students." You know the old UC joke? A UC professor walks into class and says to the students, "Good morning, class." If he's at UC Berkeley, they all reply, "F**k this, hurry up and finish the lecture so we can go protest." At UCSC they say, "Hurry up, we want to go out surfing." At UCD, they dutifully write in their notes, "Good morning, class."

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM

812 posts, read 4,087,630 times
Breaking news? Not so much, as I thought pretty much everyone in the area could have told you that Davis was bike-friendly.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Is it a mecca for gonzo road cyclists in their Spider-Man and Green Lantern lycra outfits?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:25 PM

305 posts, read 1,730,864 times
Quote:
Is it a mecca for gonzo road cyclists in their Spider-Man and Green Lantern lycra outfits?
There are some cyclists like that, but mainly they start in Davis at their homes or on campus and then bike out of town into the surrounding areas. When people say Davis is a "bike friendly town", it means that the average Joes bike more around town, instead of driving.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
i stopped 6 wks ago, somebody almost nailed me. that is not what bothered me, it was the utter lack of remorse.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Huckleb# said: "I stopped...somebody almost nailed me....utter lack of remorse"

Yep, I deal with those thoughts every day...every day. Huck, let God decide your fate, get back on that bike!!

I'm really worried now with the economy in shambles, some narcissistic, entitled UglyAmerican is gonna try and take out all his/her rage and frustration on little 'ole me on my bicycle.

Watch your back...and keep pedalin'. Just think, there's gonna be A LOT more of us out pedalin' around real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento