Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM

88 posts, read 188,200 times

Advertisements

Good Morning.

My husband and I are starting a street food vending business here in Richmond to support our family. We already have our vendor truck. But the health department requires us to use a commercial kitchen to prep our food in. Is there anyone out there who would allow us to use your kitchen or may know someone who can help us? We would not require much time or space. We want to go ahead and get started already but thats the one thing that is holding us back. Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM

418 posts, read 1,050,269 times
This place is pretty new - you pay by the hour to use their kitchen. What We Do (http://www.kitchenthymerva.com/the-kitchen.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM

I know about them....but they are way to expensive. I'm ok with working something out to use someone's kitchen, but Kitchen Thyme charges an arm and a leg. I'm still starting up, trying to get my foot in the door. I dont expect anything for free, but i also know what i can afford, and i do not want to set myself up to fail.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,057 times
What type of food?

Talk to the guy that does Thai Cabin. I think his name is Michael.

You could also go to the food truck court at Va historical Society and ask for suggestions.

Richmond Food Truck Court 2.0 | Richmond.com

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

We are starting out vending hotdogs, ny style. . Eventually we would like to upgrade. i would love to sell empanadas. they taste awesome and are an easy food to eat and walk with. but i have to start somewhere. My father in law use to vend hot dogs in NY many moons ago, and he taught me his signature onion sauce....so hopefully that will set up apart from the rest of the guys. I just want to get my foot in the door and start bringing in something. Thanks for the link. something that i definently would love to do....but i cant because i dont have the use of a commercial kitchen. Do you know Michael? I have gone and spoken to tons of restaurants but i have been turned down. Maybe if i know someone who knows someone i will have a better chance. Thanks Richmondpics!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM

696 posts, read 1,303,012 times
Let me know what location you will be selling them at I will come pay a visit, love me some hot dogs and empanadas!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks RonyUSA! We dont have a spot yet....we have the cart ready, but cant do anything until someone allows me to use their kitchen for prep....cant fill out health dept paperwork for a permit without that. Starting with hot dogs until i have enough to buy a concession trailer for empanadas. Downtown richmond business district has a waiting list....so want something downtown, hoping to be near VCU. Keep an eye out for Pop's Food Stop.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,789,895 times
Hi,

As a disclaimer, it would be hard for me to guarantee any information I'm about to give you, but here goes:

For a while there was a condo project in downtown Richmond that would regularly advertise (on Craigslist) that they had a commercial kitchen and/or restaurant space available for lease. I'm not 100% sure but if I recall it was either The 2C Condos (corner of 2nd and Clay St) or The 212 (Corner of 3rd and Clay St). I'm slightly more inclined to believe it was The 2C.

Also, maybe check out the old Croaker's Spot commercial space (2nd and Leigh). I know it's still vacant but I don't know if it's still furnished/equipped.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafecoqui View Post
Thanks RonyUSA! We dont have a spot yet....we have the cart ready, but cant do anything until someone allows me to use their kitchen for prep....cant fill out health dept paperwork for a permit without that. Starting with hot dogs until i have enough to buy a concession trailer for empanadas. Downtown richmond business district has a waiting list....so want something downtown, hoping to be near VCU. Keep an eye out for Pop's Food Stop.
There are 2 hot dog vendors in the financial district on Main Street that I can think of... not sure if there are others at the VCU Medical Center campus. Broad Street near City Hall would get some good foot traffic. Most vendors start up in April and call it a day in October (weather permitting).

I have met Michael but do not know him. He rented a space to Nate for Nate's Taco Truck Stop (love Nate's tacos). Nate is now slinging tacos at Don't Look Back in Carytown and still has his truck. Not sure if the old Truck Stop is still available.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the help everyone....but we dont need to actually rent our own commercial kitchen. What we need is a restaurant or church or lodge (like a moose lodge) that will allow us to use their kitchen to prep our food...we would use it during a time that they are less busy. We are not allowed to prep the food in our home kitchen. It has to be a commercial kitchen (follows heath dept guidelines, and has to go through health dept inspection).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond