Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 AM

19 posts, read 26,265 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I just moved to Richmond from the midwest. Im currently staying in a hotel in Henrico till I find a decent apartment. Im in late 20s single male
I'll be working in Colonial Heights. I dont mind to commute. I prefer living in area that is safe and has access to shops/ places to go out. I want to rent an apartment studio or 1 bedroom in the range of $700
I've been looking at apartments in Glenn allen didnt like them much specially the ones on broad st and gaskins havent looked by Short pump yet but I like Midlothian more.
Now my question is: what are the areas to seriously avoid in Richmond? are there areas in Midlothian to stay away from? any thoughts on other areas that are also safe?

your help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM

15 posts, read 26,245 times
Post Seeking safety

Hi, I'm also looking to relocate; possibly Richmond Va. My first choices; Durham/Raleigh NC and Charlotte, SC are on the back burner because gang-related crime seems rampant. If you see a house/apt you like, cut/paste it into www.spotcrime.com , view the list and dates of arrests on that street. I'm dumbfounded how 5 star 'excellent' streets have so many arrests in one week alone! Good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 AM

111 posts, read 241,956 times
If you want to move to Midlothian, I'd stay west of Courthouse Road. If you want to live in Midlothian closer to the Hull Street side, I'd stay west of 288.

What kind of places do you prefer for shopping and going out? Are you more into the suburban, chain-restaurant, mall type places? Or do you prefer more urban, city bars and boutique shopping?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM

12 posts, read 53,609 times
I agree with the previous poster. If you're working in CH, I'd say rent in Chester but there isn't as much around (although Chester has been built up tremendously in the past few years). You'd probably end up going back to Midlo to go out anyway, I guess.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowGirl View Post
If you want to move to Midlothian, I'd stay west of Courthouse Road. If you want to live in Midlothian closer to the Hull Street side, I'd stay west of 288.

What kind of places do you prefer for shopping and going out? Are you more into the suburban, chain-restaurant, mall type places? Or do you prefer more urban, city bars and boutique shopping?

Thanks for the insight!
well actually I was looking at an apartment on Huguenot Rd and Robious Rd, I like this area or anything similar, it seems safe to me havent seen it at night yet, but if its not please let me know. Actually I havent looked at apartments west of 288 and west of Courthouse Rd. I feel that areas west of 288 is dead not sure if Im correct. Actually all of places I looked at online were east of them Im not sure how the safety is at night

I like nightlife/clubs on weekends. And shopping like walmart, walgreens Im not a big shopper so I dont really care being close to malls.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Based on your job location I would definatly look in Chester vs. Midlothian try Rivers Bend Apartments

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM

If you don't mind a commute into Colonial Heights, then the area around Huguenot and Robious Rd would be a great location for you. That area (considered Bon Air) is great because you're still in Midlothian, but you're really right down the road from the city. Just shoot down Huguenot Road and cross the bridge and you're close to Carytown and the Fan. Stony Point mall is closeby..lots of great restaurants there. You're close to a lot of great restaurants and nightlife in Midlothian. (Bailey's, Firebirds, the new Hard Shell) The commute isn't horrible. You'd probably get onto Chippenham and drive south to 95. Then take 95 down and get off in Colonial Heights. You'd be commuting against the flow of the normal rush hour traffic, too.

You could live in Chester, but there's not much to do around there for a single person. (I grew up in Chester.) Especially out in Rivers Bend. That area is dead at night. It's not a bad area, I just wouldn't live there if I was single. No nightlife unless you consider the Applebees on the corner of 10 and Rt 1 a happening place. Not! :-)

What specific apartments are you looking at in Bon Air? I could tell you if they're okay or not.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowGirl View Post
If you don't mind a commute into Colonial Heights, then the area around Huguenot and Robious Rd would be a great location for you. That area (considered Bon Air) is great because you're still in Midlothian, but you're really right down the road from the city. Just shoot down Huguenot Road and cross the bridge and you're close to Carytown and the Fan. Stony Point mall is closeby..lots of great restaurants there. You're close to a lot of great restaurants and nightlife in Midlothian. (Bailey's, Firebirds, the new Hard Shell) The commute isn't horrible. You'd probably get onto Chippenham and drive south to 95. Then take 95 down and get off in Colonial Heights. You'd be commuting against the flow of the normal rush hour traffic, too.

You could live in Chester, but there's not much to do around there for a single person. (I grew up in Chester.) Especially out in Rivers Bend. That area is dead at night. It's not a bad area, I just wouldn't live there if I was single. No nightlife unless you consider the Applebees on the corner of 10 and Rt 1 a happening place. Not! :-)

What specific apartments are you looking at in Bon Air? I could tell you if they're okay or not.
Thanks for your help and also thanks to Teebyrd

I think Im going to settle for Huguenot/Robious area. Now my question is: is this area safe at night? or is there something I should watch out for?
I drove to Chester today and checked a complex there, its nice, but honestly I felt Im in middle of nowhere ( no offence )

actually I dont mind driving 30-40 mins to work Im used to that, as long as the traffic is flowing and not bumper to bumper. Is traffic bad during winter? I never drove in snow really. I plan on leaving the house about an hour earlier than my work time, I think thats ok right?
Im looking at Old buckingham apartments, trophy club and enclave apartments they're all in the 23113 zip code i think

regarding nightlife any areas do you suggest to hangout at? I prefer dance clubs over bars, last weekend I went to tobacco company...it wasnt bad, the area was OK also. I dont like to walk alot to my car when I go out too so parking next to the place Im going is always a plus!

your help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Mostly bars/restaurants in Midlothian

Have you been to Off the Hookah or the Hat Factory?
Off The Hookah Virginia - Virginia's Best Night Club Hookah
Hat Factory | Richmond Virginia
More of a dance club than the lower level at Tobacco...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 AM

Of the 3 of those, I'd go with Trophy Club just because it's a little closer to the city. Enclave is beautiful...right next to the Midlothian Coal Mines park. Very safe location. Old Buckingham is okay, but what is the deal with those apartments catching fire every few years. I wouldn't move there. There are a few more ones you might want to check out. The Park at Salisbury is one. That's right at the intersection of 288 and Midlothian Turnpike. We just moved from there a month ago after living there for 4 months in between houses. Very safe area. There is another apartment complex at the interesection of Robious and Huguenot called The Belividere. You might want to check that out.

As far as nightlife and dancing clubs, I haven't been on that scene in 10 years so I'm not the best person to ask. The Hat Factory is super-fun, though, but it's downtown. Anyplace you go downtown you will probably have to park and walk a bit. I tend to go to places to meet friends for drinks and have a bite to eat. Places like Capital Ale in Midlothian, Firebirds, anyplace in Stoneypoint and places in the Fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: