Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2006, 09:03 PM

16 posts, read 66,123 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm staying in Providence to explore moving here. Any info on the city would be appreciated. I am a single man with a customer service job lined up up here.

Also, I'm going to be stuck in my hotel at the Radisson Hotel Providence Harbor on India St wihtout a car for one day. Anything to do within walking distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 PM

82 posts, read 542,154 times
My girlfriend and I were just there exploring.

Providence is nice, but boy it is *dead* on the weekend!

The downtown area is nice but very corporate-geared. If you're looking for the most flavor Providence has, look to College Hill (across the river and up the hill. Try Thayer street: shops, cafes, stores, nightlife, movies.)
Also, this area has some of the area's most historic districts.

Neighborhoods west and south are a bit unsavory and boarded up.

North and east tend to be quite nice and very suburban. Well kept lawns.

We decided Providence wasn't for us. It has a ways to go before it is ready.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM

439 posts, read 722,964 times
Providence has a wonderful downtown- the 'Firewalk' is attended by thousands in the summer along the riverwalk. Lots of history, Federal Hill and Brown University and the RSDI are wonderful- and the great restuarants are too numerous to name. Real estate is high in greater Providence because of the overflow from Boston to the north. A nice city, with a great amount of culture and ambience- great bars and clubs.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 46,103 times
Default Providence is hopping

Isnt' it funny? I think Providence has a lot to offer...
Rira, Olives, restaurants, art and independent theatre options-- my friends and are busy non-stop!

Old 10-31-2006, 04:47 PM

439 posts, read 722,964 times
Providence may have some crime- but it is likely to be far less then then cities in the south, Midwest and far west for its size.

Just use common sense when being out at night in 'questionable' areas.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,401 times
Providence is not a refined and safe place to wonder without fear. The enticement is in its edginess and character. If you want to walk the city at night, take care and stick to the busy areas. The daytime is best to explore the city. The spots to see are somewhat disconnected and take some walking. It is a small city and you can walk from end to end with some good shoes and a sense of adventure. Wayland Square, Thayer Street, Wickenden Street, Hope street, Blackstone Blvd and of course Federal Hill are some inspiring places to visit. The color of the city is its romance. It is a place that is full of art and expression. Walk along the river beneath the stars and city lights. On some nights, Waterfire is lit. It is a spiritual and artful expression of two elements that captivates crowds of thirsty souls. Trinity Rep. is a small theater without a bad seat and P.P.A.C. is a majestic place to see a show. My advice to those who explore Providence is to swing open your heart and mind. It is a city of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: