Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:48 AM

3,860 posts, read 2,742,292 times

Advertisements

Of course, there’s a lot of ignorance and misinformation being promulgated by the usual suspects^^^. Pawtucket has plenty of artists working in studios in the many repurposed mill buildings. This has been the case for decades. I know artists who have/had studios in several of these buildings.

If performing arts are more one’s taste, there’s the Pawtucket Arts Festival. Pawtucket did lose the Gamm Theater several years back, but make no mistake, Pawtucket is artsy, regardless of what the low brow forum thugs say.

Warren does have an arts scene. by the way, though that is off topic for this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 12:02 PM

18,001 posts, read 9,381,125 times
Having an arts scene does not make it an artist's mecca or an artsy city/town.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:11 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,738,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Like you would know what makes an artists' mecca.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:19 PM

23,804 posts, read 18,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sources would have been great. But Even without data, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Pawtucket had more jobs in town in the early 90s than it does today. It was still very much a post industrial town back then, well into its decline. But even though it wasn't a thriving economy, there was more just barely hanging on in the early 90s than there is today. The retail landscape has changed everywhere, so there are likely many more vacant storefronts in Pawtucket today too. But again, most of this is leftover from the city's better days rather than reflective of Pawtucket being a stronger city in the early 90s than it is today.

I'm less convinced about the "spread of the ghetto." By most metrics, crime appears to be lower today than it was back then. Neighborhoods have certainly gone through demographic changes, and many older established families are long gone, but that does not equate to "spreading ghetto." Especially if the crime data doesn't back that claim up. Even 30 years ago, we weren't spending much time anywhere near downtown. It generally had a bad reputation, even back then.

You didn't mention it, but I will - the Pawsox departure took away the one reason many people from outside of the city had had to go to Pawtucket. I don't think Tidewater Landing is going to be an equal exchange.

Pawtucket has a long way to go, obviously. But it's not longer skating by or clinging onto the days of industrial prosperity. There's actual, tangible demand in many parts of town. Many of those old mills have been converted to residential properties (which people are actually buying and renting) or other businesses. There's a brand new commuter rail station near the heart of the city connecting it to Boston and downtown Providence (and ridership is already strong). There are a number of large scale proposals either funded or under construction like Dexter Street Commons and 258 Pine (projects like this weren't getting built in 1990s Pawtucket). A growing wave of restaurants, galleries, breweries, etc. (many occupying old mills as well) have opened in recent years. And the population has actually shown signs of growth as opposed to literal decades of stagnation.

Even with it's current litany of issues, I'm higher on Pawtucket today than I was at any point over the last 3 decades. And I think the future outlook is much better than it has been at any point in my lifetime.

LRFOX, here is a good discussion about the deterioration of Pawtucket.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...de-island.html

Old 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Like you would know what makes an artists' mecca.
As if you would.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
As if you would.
Perhaps. But, when you wander into anything to do with the arts & where they may be found you're clearly over your obvious low brow mentality. Stick to pretending to suss out violent crime. It better suits your limitations.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Perhaps. But, when you wander into anything to do with the arts & where they may be found you're clearly over your obvious low brow mentality. Stick to pretending to suss out violent crime. It better suits your limitations.
"Fools base their thoughts on foolish assumptions, so their conclusions will be wicked madness; they chatter on and on."

Ecclesiastes 10:13-15 NLT

Old 04-21-2024, 12:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,202,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
LRFOX, here is a good discussion about the deterioration of Pawtucket.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...de-island.html
It is from 2014 There are also some very positive posts about Pawtucket

Old 04-21-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It is from 2014
Pawtucket has only gotten worse.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
"Fools base their thoughts on foolish assumptions, so their conclusions will be wicked madness; they chatter on and on." Ecclesiastes 10:13-15 NLT
Oh my....... as if it couldn't get creepier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island