Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:00 PM

5,247 posts, read 6,178,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
That sounds like the same place. It was around this section of Main Street - could be a few houses down towards Clyde or maybe it's gone

1102 Main St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WZsZqSkYjgRTTb5M7

Used to be a red house, I believe. I liked going to him anytime I needed a physical for school sports or something like that. He basically just made sure your heart was beating and signed the papers. I still remember that stuffy waiting room with the creaky Victorian chairs
That could be it my parents have passed so there is nobody I could ask. I think I went last in 1980. You can sit there for a couple hours because he would always take the babies first. That was way before doctor's in a box like they have now. Downtown West Warwick was hopping in the '60s and 'early 70s. Midland Mall hurt a lot of shopping for small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 02:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 3,216,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
That could be it my parents have passed so there is nobody I could ask. I think I went last in 1980. You can sit there for a couple hours because he would always take the babies first. That was way before doctor's in a box like they have now. Downtown West Warwick was hopping in the '60s and 'early 70s. Midland Mall hurt a lot of shopping for small towns.
That's for sure. Even after the mall though, I remember us going there for Seena's, Maxine's, the Shoe Box, Service Shoes, Arctic News, the Donut Kettle, Newberry's - lunch counter with mom! - Robert's Toy Store, the Music store, Rexall's. Sears was before my time though.

That reminds me, the Hong Kong Restaurant is still open. Not the Woos anymore but I hear it's good. I should check it out. Oddly enough that was the first place I ever had whole belly fried clams! As a child I was intimidated by Chinese food but I guess I was fine with clams and there's were great

Old 04-26-2024, 12:05 AM

23,737 posts, read 18,825,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is not comedy at all, for Harris Ave. residents.

West Warwick residents on edge after overnight standoff

https://turnto10.com/news/local/west...-april-24-2024

"Georgio watched from the street as police, guns raised, swarm a home shortly after 9:30 p.m.

"It was scary. It was like world war three over here. Not what you want to be coming home to," he said.
For several hours, SWAT teams dressed in tactical gear surrounded the Harris Avenue home."

Police offer new details on West Warwick standoff

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...wick-standoff/

I believe this is the house, here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7122...8192?entry=ttu

Old 05-01-2024, 08:13 PM

The latest from Numbskullville:

Van crashes into entrance of laundromat building in West Warwick

https://turnto10.com/news/local/van-...ent-may-1-2024

Old 05-05-2024, 08:26 PM

What a sad situation...

West Warwick homeless encampment near playground will remain for now

https://turnto10.com/news/local/west...ce-may-2-2024#

Old Today, 02:11 AM

17,856 posts, read 9,283,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
That reminds me, the Hong Kong Restaurant is still open. Not the Woos anymore but I hear it's good. I should check it out. Oddly enough that was the first place I ever had whole belly fried clams! As a child I was intimidated by Chinese food but I guess I was fine with clams and there's were great
Fried clams at a Chinese restaurant? Hmm. They're not on the current menu for Hong Kong Restaurant.

Last edited by CaseyB; Today at 05:26 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old Today, 10:44 AM

4,435 posts, read 3,216,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Fried clams at a Chinese restaurant? Hmm. They're not on the current menu for Hong Kong Restaurant.
Not surprising. My childhood was a long, long time ago and the place has had a few owners in the interim.

And back then there were a lot more people who wouldn't eat meat or chicken on Friday so they had American seafood plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island