Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 12:09 PM

17,900 posts, read 9,325,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't know of anyone who is painting a "rosy" picture of bad neighborhoods.
One of our members has said the Elmwood Historic Districts are as safe as any area in the city.

And you routinely defend that person.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:43 PM

12,945 posts, read 22,118,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
One of our members has said the Elmwood Historic Districts are as safe as any area in the city.

And you routinely defend that person.
Maybe I'm wrong and you could kindly share a link to correct me, but I don't remember anyone saying that at all. I do remember several discussions about how the Elmwood Historic Districts can be differentiated a bit from their surroundings by the fact that many of the historic homes within the districts have seen a good degree of private investment and interest from people from outside of the neighborhood due to the fact that it's rare to be able to find unique historic homes at those price points. I've also also seen others say that it's possible to live in one of those homes and exist in the historic districts (and larger neighborhood) without fearing for one's life on a daily basis. That, of course, is not the same as saying "Elmwood Historic Districts are as safe as any area in the city." The reason the homes are available at lower prices is precisely due to the fact that the area has no shortage of its own issues. Any prospective resident needs to weigh the benefits of the affordable historic property against the challenges that come with living in that area. Some can make it work just fine, others cannot or will never be comfortable/happy there. It's called nuance, and it's exactly what I said was sorely lacking in your ham-handed posts about any area that scares you.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong and you could kindly share a link to correct me, but I don't remember anyone saying that at all.
You can dig it up. It shouldn't be difficult to find. It's been discussed many times.

And I'm sure you'll try to twist it to defend it.

Quote:
It's called nuance, and it's exactly what I said was sorely lacking in your ham-handed posts about any area that scares you.
This is an example of why you lack credibility. You fabricate nonsense like this whenever you get backed into a corner.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:07 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,730,335 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong and you could kindly share a link to correct me, but I don't remember anyone saying that at all. I do remember several discussions about how the Elmwood Historic Districts can be differentiated a bit from their surroundings by the fact that many of the historic homes within the districts have seen a good degree of private investment and interest from people from outside of the neighborhood due to the fact that it's rare to be able to find unique historic homes at those price points. I've also also seen others say that it's possible to live in one of those homes and exist in the historic districts (and larger neighborhood) without fearing for one's life on a daily basis. That, of course, is not the same as saying "Elmwood Historic Districts are as safe as any area in the city." The reason the homes are available at lower prices is precisely due to the fact that the area has no shortage of its own issues. Any prospective resident needs to weigh the benefits of the affordable historic property against the challenges that come with living in that area. Some can make it work just fine, others cannot or will never be comfortable/happy there. It's called nuance, and it's exactly what I said was sorely lacking in your ham-handed posts about any area that scares you.
No need to share a link. I know many people who currently live in both Elmwood historic districts and the Armory. They enjoy where they live and feel safe. I used to live in the South Elmwood historic district. I enjoyed it and felt safe. I will take my experience & their word for it before the two self styled laptop "crime reporters" who broad brush trash their neighborhoods here. Lack of nuance indeed.

Last edited by independent man; 06-12-2023 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You can dig it up. It shouldn't be difficult to find. It's been discussed many times.
If you're making a claim, support it with evidence. You'd think that's a concept a "crime expert" would be familiar with.

Quote:
This is an example of why you lack credibility. You fabricate nonsense like this whenever you get backed into a corner.
LOL! This is great coming from you - the poster who created this very thread in a transparently desperate attempt to try to make it seem like they have any credibility after years of having your posts ripped by just about ever poster (except one) because of how laughably absurd they are. And yet I'm supposed to be the one "backed into a corner?"

Forgive me, Plum. I don't care even the slightest bit what you think about my "credibility." I'm happy to let my posts speak for themselves and regularly call out your silliness for exactly what it is. I know not everyone will like or agree with the things I say. But in the 15 years I've been a CD member, I've never once been suspended from the site for my posts and I've never had to create a thread for the sole purpose of desperately trying to convince everyone that I'm an "expert" on something which I'm clearly not.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
If you're making a claim, support it with evidence.
If you don't believe it's true -- even after the poster just confirmed it -- I don't know what to tell you.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:26 PM

23,771 posts, read 18,882,064 times
Quote:

While that's perhaps the most infamous example here, there are far more. And you don't even have to go back that far. A week or two ago, a poster was claiming that the West End was perfectly safe (this is in close proximity to where there were recently shootings and stabbings right on the same block, within two weeks of each other.). You had that kid from Belmont, who got in his head that Olneyville is a neighborhood of artist lofts and gig space for white suburban metal or hard core bands. Anybody who knows Providence, will tell you how laughable that is. I believe that's also the same poster who routinely claims that there are no ghettos in Providence, and that nowhere in the city is unsafe. And let's not forget about the poster who encouraged people to walk up and down Broad St. after dark. I could go on and on...

It's dangerous nonsense like this, that makes honest discussion about crime here ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:27 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,357,666 times
Quote:
If you're making a claim, support it with evidence. You'd think that's a concept a "crime expert" would be familiar with.

LOL! This is great coming from you - the poster who created this very thread in a transparently desperate attempt to try to make it seem like they have any credibility after years of having your posts ripped by just about ever poster (except one) because of how laughably absurd they are. And yet I'm supposed to be the one "backed into a corner?"

Forgive me, Plum. I don't care even the slightest bit what you think about my "credibility." I'm happy to let my posts speak for themselves and regularly call out your silliness for exactly what it is. I know not everyone will like or agree with the things I say. But in the 15 years I've been a CD member, I've never once been suspended from the site for my posts and I've never had to create a thread for the sole purpose of desperately trying to convince everyone that I'm an "expert" on something which I'm clearly not.
I like how these trolls won’t share where they live. You’ve been clear that you bought in East Boston and you’ve freely discussed where you have lived previously. I’ve certainly been clear about where I live and I’ve mentioned numerous times other places I’ve lived over the years. I think the ace crime reporters live somewhere they’re embarrassed to admit to. Posting about high crime areas is compensating for it. Picking on Jamestown of all places is compensating for it.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:30 PM

23,771 posts, read 18,882,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I like how these trolls won’t share where they live. You’ve been clear that you bought in East Boston and you’ve freely discussed where you have lived previously. I’ve certainly been clear about where I live and I’ve mentioned numerous times other places I’ve lived over the years. I think the ace crime reporters live somewhere they’re embarrassed to admit to. Posting about high crime areas is compensating for it. Picking on Jamestown of all places is compensating for it.

imo you would be absolutely foolish to post personal information like that, especially in a state as "small" as RI. But to each their own Geoff...

Old 06-12-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
If you don't believe it's true -- even after the poster just confirmed it -- I don't know what to tell you.
If you took what IM said above to be exactly the same thing you stated above, then you've made my point about you not understanding nuance better than I ever could have. So thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island