Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:08 PM

23,611 posts, read 18,740,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
If this is true, explain how this makes any difference? There is already a Broad St entrance, Park St, Elmwood plus numerous side Street entrances. Should we close them all and abandon the park?

Whether all of those entrances (and I assume you mean Park Ave., not "Park St.") stay open or closed, they ALL have a need for enhanced security and NONE of them should be accessible after dark. Any new improvements made, should include closable gates that cannot be breached by those with illicit intent. It really is a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 06:46 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Just wondering about the ATVs and the "gateway".
It's a pedestrian entrance.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:50 AM

17,770 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Just wondering about the ATVs and the "gateway".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It's a pedestrian entrance.

It's a conversion of an abandoned property and it will include a visitors center, restrooms, and play areas. It will be a gathering place. It is right next to the existing entrance.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
First thing that came to my mind was, "where are the gates???".

So I guess nobody knows?

Old 08-28-2021, 08:47 PM

We all know. There are no gates now, and the project is a new pedestrian plaza and visitors’ center, not adding gates to existing entrances.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:21 PM

683 posts, read 834,872 times
So glad to see more and more projects like this and the pedestrian bridge coming to fruition in Rhode Island (contrary to many Rhode Islanders who are happy with cinder block furniture and Lego bridges) I think people are finally figuring out if we put some artistic thought into our public works projects that we get infrastructure that is memorable and marketable.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
We all know. There are no gates now, and the project is a new pedestrian plaza and visitors’ center, not adding gates to existing entrances.
I guess I am the only one who sees this as a problem?

Old 08-29-2021, 02:58 PM

17,770 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
So glad to see more and more projects like this and the pedestrian bridge coming to fruition in Rhode Island (contrary to many Rhode Islanders who are happy with cinder block furniture and Lego bridges) I think people are finally figuring out if we put some artistic thought into our public works projects that we get infrastructure that is memorable and marketable.
For someone who claims to love RI so much, you sure do have a negative view of Rhode Islanders.

Happy with cinder block furniture and Lego bridges? Really??

And people are not "finally figuring out" anything. There typically isn't money available for projects like this.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:37 PM

683 posts, read 834,872 times
Quote:
For someone who claims to love RI so much, you sure do have a negative view of Rhode Islanders.

Happy with cinder block furniture and Lego bridges? Really??

And people are not "finally figuring out" anything. There typically isn't money available for projects like this.
Love it here. There is just a backwards vocal minority of people who fight every new idea that can make this state better (the boomers for the most parts who only took what the other generations built and contributed nothing back to the state and let everything decay).

Perhaps you missed my mention of the foot bridge -
In a state full of crumbling bridges, $22 million Providence ...https://www.bostonglobe.com › metro › 2019/06/02 › story
Jun 3, 2019 — The Providence River Pedestrian Bridge. ... product of an international design competition — no mere footbridge but a destination in itself. The trash wanted us to build a rope bridge and call it a day.

RIPTA is filled with non-public transportion people - They think they have to invent public transportation to fix the flaws of the system now. Bring in professionals and invest in a comprehensive system.

The city of Providence has declared war against Buses and Bikes....worshipping the automobiles that killed the city center in the first place.

Besides that the place is fantastic. I know people hate discussing on this page and it is filled with trolls but there are some of us that see this abandonded diamond and know with the right civic leadership it could become a shining jewel.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I guess I am the only one who sees this as a problem?
Yes, I think that’s the general idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island