Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,940,393 times

Advertisements

No need whatsoever to be thankful for Fane. And Providence is not fast running out of money- don't listen to the trolls from MA who constantly post here and who call us yokels- they don't know trash from treasure. Must be really jealous to spend all their time on us!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 02:38 PM

23,737 posts, read 18,825,763 times
It's a fact that some will always fear change, no matter how good or bad.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,688,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
No need whatsoever to be thankful for Fane. And Providence is not fast running out of money- don't listen to the trolls from MA who constantly post here and who call us yokels- they don't know trash from treasure. Must be really jealous to spend all their time on us!!!!!
Well yee haw, you done told us but good lady. Yessiree Bob.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
And Providence is not fast running out of money- don't listen to the trolls from MA
Your pal from Jamestown, RI is the one who constantly talks about Providence running out of money and needing to sell the water supply to avoid bankruptcy. And why so jealous of MA residents?

Old 12-04-2022, 04:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,688,098 times
The skyline of Providence could use the help. I'd rate it 4th in New England behind Boston, Hartford and Cambridge. It's good but not great. And it loses a point in my book for its tallest building being vacant. Stamford is moving up, and I like Its modern look.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 3,216,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
The most vocal opponents of this project seem to be the most ardent supporters of "preservation" for the decaying "Superman" albatross along with a broken and rusted train trestle. Come out of the past folks. And if I might add, the present.
What would you do with the Superman building?

Old 12-04-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This proposal is not going to win any design prizes, but Providence has built FAR worse things in the past. Be thankful that this guy is still betting on the city and investing the money.
I agree with Mass Native here. The building is ludicrously tall and too far from downtown to be consideted part of the city skyline. It sticks out like a sore thumb in that location. I don't love it but I think it's a net positive for the city and I would vote for it. I just wish they hadnt reduced parking floors; that need for parking ensures the historic parking lot district remains.

I also suspect the number of residential floors is a buffer for them. Some can remain dark and unfinished until the demand and revenue flows in

Old 12-04-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Holly, Providence desperately needs revenue. You can argue that this isn't the answer, but not that Providence needs revenue

Old 12-04-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
The skyline of Providence could use the help. I'd rate it 4th in New England behind Boston, Hartford and Cambridge. It's good but not great. And it loses a point in my book for its tallest building being vacant. Stamford is moving up, and I like Its modern look.

It really is stale. I like to think a Fane tower would lay the foundation for the area in between to be "filled in" a bit more.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It really is stale. I like to think a Fane tower would lay the foundation for the area in between to be "filled in" a bit more.
So your argument is that the Providence Skyline needs to resemble a larger city skyline, like Boston or NYC, and and not the Providence city Skyline?

What if the Providence city skyline is smaller scale than either and that's just who we are?

I'm in between you and Holly. I don't think change is bad but I also think there's something to be said for preserving an identity, or recreating your identity without copying another city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island