Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
...right now, sitting on that bench with an ice cold beer, dammmmmm!!!
rooting for the Yankees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 AM

280 posts, read 1,221,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
rooting for the Yankees?
hell yeah, they are my boys!!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedog1 View Post
Ha! You want to see the rest of them?

There are probably about 150 more camera left who are either about to hit the water or just getting out.
Just to balance things out with a warm/tropical story of Rhode Island….

It's July 2006 - It's about 84 F and the dew points are in the low 70's along the Rhode Island coast - so the THI (temp-humidity index) is about 96 F. There is a hot tropical wind from the south blowing. Tropical Storm Beryl is passing to the southeast of Long Island/Rhode Island and heading out into the open sea. I was at the beach in Westerly

At 1:00 PM the waves really started cranking up 6 to 8 footers. I have been up and down the West Coast - East Coast, and in the Gulf States - but never did it feel so tropical (like Hawaii or something) as on this day in Rhode Island. The wind was super humidified like it was coming out of the deep tropics (aah tropical weather systems).

About 3:00 PM the wind picked up to 35 mph - it was so hot and humid that even with the lower half of your body in the 74 F ocean - you were sweating. All of a sudden a torrential downpour hit like a south Asian monsoon. What was amazing - was the rain was like warm to hot water falling out of the sky. The eye of Beryl was now less than 100 miles off the Rhode Island coast. The waves were now 8 to 12 feet - huge. I snapped this photo of some surfer who was looking for his board in the swell. The rain was so warm some people just sat on the beach in the pouring monsoon. It felt like we were in tropical Asia.

Also here are my pics of the warm side of Rhode Island. That’s my garden. It may get cold for the 90 days of winter - but we have a growing season that's 210 days long (longer than many parts of the USA).

Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM

67 posts, read 266,736 times
you guys are making me homesick!! beautiful pictures!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 PM

23 posts, read 138,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
I've seen a lot of posts extolling the scenic beauty of Rhode Island, how about a few shots?

Here are two from my hometown....

Wow! Beautiful photos

Old 04-03-2008, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 46,250 times
Has someone photos of East Greenwich?
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM

67 posts, read 517,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
One other point....

Those pictures are beautiful SUMMER shots.....many people have mentioned how misled they felt after moving here... it's not like that at other times of the year.
Mikey
Yes, summer is THE time to be here. But there's beauty in winter, too. Here's some wintertime sunset and moonrise pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-barberpondsunset.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-sunsetocean.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-daysendwordenspond.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-fullmoonrisesmall.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-snowstorm.jpg  

Old 04-05-2008, 03:52 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Lots of pretty Jamestown and Newport pictures (my old homes). My favorite view you missed is of Castle Hill in Newport taken from Ft Wetherill in Jamestown showing the cliffs on both sides, the bay/Ocean and the Newport Mansions, especially Hammersmith Farm on the other side (which was where John F Kennedy and Jackie Onassis had their wedding reception) and it was Jackie's summer home (of course). From the same spot you can turn to your right and take a picture of "Horse Head" in Jamestown. It;s the huge summer home owned by the Wright family (that at one time owned the entire southern section of Jamestown from Mackeral Cove to Beavertail) with a big dome on top. It has 18 bedrooms and two kitchens. I used to play the game with other kids called "Sardines" there, summers, when I was a kid, on rainy days.

Also, if you drive down to the "Dumplings" in Jamestown, by the Swan dealership and stand on the dock, you can take a picture of "Clingstone", the huge old victorian house all by itself on
a tiny island just big enough for the house. Behind Clingstone is the panoramic view of Newport framed by Ft. Adams on the right and Rose Island to the left.

In the early 80's I used to go to parties/jam sessions on Clingstone.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Smile Spring Comes to the East Side of Providence

I just took a walk from my house in the Blackstone neighborhood of the East Side. What's blooming: Bradford pears, cherries, magnolias, plums, all the spring bulbs, azaleas..... we're adrift in petals and new green leaves......
ahhhhhhhhhh awake after the long winter........... it's April!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-pict0019.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-pict0021.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-pict0022.jpg   Rhode Island photos-please limit to photos and their discussion only-thanks-pict0024.jpg  

Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Thanks! Those picures were great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island