Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,294 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Rhode Island this summer to take classes at RISD in the fall. I live in Virginia currently so I want to have a few places to look at lined up before I make the 8-hour car trip. I'll be paying my own way with all this, so I have a pretty small budget for housing. Is it possible to find a studio or one bedroom apartment for $600 a month? I'm looking for somewhere around a 15 minute drive or less to the school, preferably with public transportation nearby in case my old car decides to kick the bucket unexpectedly. I'm okay with an area that's not very pretty as long as its safe enough for a young woman to live alone and get home from work/class at night.
I've found a couple listings for apartments in my price range near Roger Williams Park. Is this a relatively safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM

688 posts, read 2,139,387 times
RISD is not really a commuter school. It's sitting in a pretty dense part of town and there are not too many parking spaces around. So driving to school is not something you'll want to do because you'll incur significant costs for parking unless RISD has some strange deal for student parking I am not aware of. Public transportation will be the way to go.

In your search you can also consider trying to find something small in Warren or Bristol near the 60 bus route which will drop you off right near RISD. It won't be a fifteen minute bus ride, more like 25 minutes, but hey...

Finally, $600 dollar for a studio is doable but might require a bit of digging.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,982,603 times
Are you set on living alone or open to a apartment share situation? If you are willing to live in a 2 bedroom apartment with another person, or 3 bedroom with 2 other people, it opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.

As GermanSpy pointed out a $600 studio is doable but not easy. Apartments prices seem to be rising lately. My landlord got 20% more on the apartment he just rented out than the previous tenant was paying.

Relatively safe, is well, relative. Where in Virginia are you coming from?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,626,370 times
most students split rents. your best bet is to partner up with another 1-2
RISD students and split rents. Call the school. good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,626,370 times
most students split rents. your best bet is to partner up with another 1-2
RISD students. going it alone will just cost you more than necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island