Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 PM

50 posts, read 144,785 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family to Rhode Island but I'm not sure where. Here is what we are looking for:
1.on the water (kids love to sail)
2.good sized houses and a lot of land
3.either great public schools or multiple private school options
4.small-ish (we want a close community where we know our neighbors but not so small that we get bored)
5.safe

I know this is a lot and there might not be something that follows this exactly, but a girl can hope!! Please respond with any suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 AM

270 posts, read 732,474 times
Define "a lot of land."

I ask because our experience in RI and as RIers, we were of the impression that a lot of land would be a 1/2 acre or so. Mostly because there's not a ton of properties in RI that have more than that (though there are definitely a fair number). When we moved to NY and began looking at homes, we had difficulty finding properties with less than several acres.

Regardless, I'd say North Kingstown. Wickford Village is on the water and satisfies all of what you listed but you might have difficulty with the "lots of land" aspect in that village.

I grew up there and would suggest private school...though the school system there is generally considered really good.

Barrington is on the water and has one of the best school systems in the state. The community is one of the wealthiest.

I suspect you might LOVE Jamestown. It's an Island community near North Kingstown. It's easy to get on and off the island via one of two bridges. Jamestown is a lovely community and it's probable you can find good houses with large tracts there.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
What's your budget? On the water (salt) with a lot of land in a nice community is several million dollars.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 AM

270 posts, read 732,474 times
Does it need to be salt water? You could try somewhere on Johnson's Pond in Coventry. Don't know how great the sailing would be though.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM

50 posts, read 144,785 times
thank you for your comments so far. A good amount of land would mean that we could have a good sized home with plenty of room to play in the back yard and maybe a pool. And yes, it does need to be on an ocean. No lakes or rivers please. Thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM

10 posts, read 12,752 times
It would help us to suggest communities if you gave us an idea of budget and how close to the water you want to be. There are many options within about a 20 min drive for example. I could be wrong but it seems the typical home in RI has a fairly decent yard with a pool, especially in the South County area.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 PM

102 posts, read 393,250 times
The Rhode Island Multiple Listing Service of properties for sale in R.I. has an option to select the city or town you wish to search, plug in a price range, and check off waterfront - salt. Here is the link:

Rhode Island Living

Potowomut section of Warwick, at the east end of Ives Road off Post Road (south of East Greenwich). seems to fit your bill! The Potowomut section abuts the east perimeter of Goddard State Park, and has many homes directly on Greenwich Bay. Pardon all the minutia -- I wish to provide enough that you can follow a map of Ives Road on Google map. Google Beechwood Drive, Potowomut, RI to get you a map of the waterfront. Also, Charlotte Drive. I have several acquaintances who live there. It is very friendly, and very safe. Several Waterfront homes have hit the market this season, I think they run between half a million to one and a half million dollars. Waterfront on the other (south) side of Ives road are several million dollars.

In the immediate area, walking distance in fact, is the Rocky Hill School, East Greenwich. It is a wonderful private school with a delightful bay side campus. And, yes, it is rather expensive. But its worth it, and the school does teach sailing!

Last edited by Hoxsie454; 06-20-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: provide url

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Little Compton and South Tiverton are possible places that may fit your needs. Waterfront will cost you.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Default Near the ocean or ON the ocean?

Do you want to have a home with frontage ON the ocean? Or do you want to SEE the ocean from your home?

Poppasquash Road in Bristol, RI for ON the ocean, and you can easily tell from Google mapping the ocean frontage sites.

Newport RI for ON the ocean in many areas, Bellevue Av. to Ocean Drive, but very costly.

Jamestown RI, on and see the ocean

Other areas of Bristol RI

Barrington RI

Westerly RI

Narragansett RI and Great Island

Charlestown RI

Portsmouth RI

Sakonnet area of RI

.... and the list goes on. In RI, there is "ocean" and there is "bay"; and there is "county". South County RI, Kent County RI, Bristol County RI, Washington County RI.

You need a good Realtor; but you can start with www.riliving.com

Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,312 times
As has been said, any place ON the water will be pricey, so if you can afford it.....have fun.

Old Buttonwoods in Warwick is a private waterfront community, even if you aren't ON the water the beach is accesible to anyone who lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island