Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 PM

80 posts, read 461,593 times

Advertisements

In reading over references to John Villani's books on art towns in America, an article in USA Today from 2005 on "10 great places for big-city art, small-town feel" (John Villani also contributed to this piece), a "Best Art Towns" list from America's 100 Best Places to Retire, and my own travel experiences, here is my list of best art towns for retirement (in alphabetical order):
  • Beaufort and Hilton Head, SC
  • Charleston, SC
  • Charlottesville, VA
  • Hot Springs, AR
  • Lewisburg, WV
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Wilmington, NC
Honorable mentions go to Abingdon, VA; New Orleans, LA; Ojai, CA; and Sedona, AZ.

I love the low country art of Betty Anglin Smith in Charleston. I remember being at a wonderful art show in Scottsdale a number of years ago. But for my number one choice, I am convinced that if I had to buy a piece of art of a certain size or price range within the next three days (let's say an inheritance in the fashion of Brewster's Millions depended on it), I would immediately get on a plane and head toward Santa Fe for its wide-ranging selection for a variety of tastes. A recent visit [2005] to Santa Fe's Canyon Road and other areas of the city left me greatly impressed with the art scene there. Generally speaking, I found the sales professionals in the various galleries to be knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and unpretentious.

Please feel free to add your comments on these or other towns that have great art communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I started a thread on art towns, not necessarily retirement towns, in General Forum quite awhile ago.

Here's the link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eck-woods.html

Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
The southwest seems to have a lot of Art towns. Toas New Mexico and Tubac AZ being two small places.
Although these places are nice to visit I don't think I'd move somewhere just for the art. You can always just go for a vacation.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 AM

Well, I lived in Taos (NM) and found it unbearable--too small, no art "community" just a series of galleries making money on incoming tourists.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM

80 posts, read 461,593 times
ontheroad-

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I did find it to be informative. There's still a difference, though, between great art towns and art towns for retirement.

waterlily, people retire and move to different locations for some seemingly unimaginable reasons. Based on the existence of lists for art towns, I don't think this is less important for some people. I do believe, though, that they still weigh a factor like a good arts community against other recreational opportunities, shopping, weather, cost of living, etc. when selecting a community to move to.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Not only are there differences between great art towns and art towns for retirement, no two people agree what an art town is, nor do they all agree on what art is.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
...no two people agree what an art town is, nor do they all agree on what art is.
How true. I have been to a good number of 'art' shows that did not contain any art IMO.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 AM

182 posts, read 810,790 times
article in today's paper lists Pittsburgh as the best mid sized town for art, not necessarily for retirement, but just another survey/opinion on what an "art town" is. The list was compiled by AmericanStyle magazine.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 20,313 times
Glad I found this site! We're pondering our next move, and would like to find an art town that also has a nice climate....not too hot or too humid. It also has to be affordable for semi-retired folks, so I'm afraid Santa Fe is out. Unfortunately....LOL. We are gardeners, husband is a woodworker/guitarmaker and I'm an artist/writer.

We're in central TX right now, and although places like Kerrville are nice, the climate is getting way too hot for me.

bobbi c.
Earthly Gardener

Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I think we all have some different ideas about what constitutes an "art town." I would omit the places that are vacation/convention locations with galleries geared towards making money off tourists. I would also want to expand the criteria to include museums and music, especially classical music. For enthusiam and creativity I would give points to locations with art schools and/or music conservatories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement