Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 6,067,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Beware Massachusetts for income tax, our governor is seeking to drive up taxes

Review & Outlook: The RomneyCare Bill Comes Due - WSJ.com
Your state's income tax has not been raised in twenty years? Note the personal exemption is being increased and the state's sales tax is being lowered. This sounds like a decent deal for seniors without a significant income. So, who exactly is complaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,031,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Your state's income tax has not been raised in twenty years? Note the personal exemption is being increased and the state's sales tax is being lowered. This sounds like a decent deal for seniors without a significant income. So, who exactly is complaining?
I posted this info for others, in case there are retirees in higher income categories with ideas for a large home (=property taxes, which will be affected with this "plan") who may be thinking of moving to Mass. Good to know what's coming down the pike (or likely could) in any state.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 AM

31,696 posts, read 41,160,216 times
Interesting twist to the taxation discussion is Minnesota.

Florida Rep. Radel rips Minnesota governor's 'snowbird' tax plan, welcomes refugees | Fox News

Quote:
Dayton, a Democrat, proposed the idea last week when announcing key parts of his proposed $37.9 billion budget. He made a similar proposal last year that was defeated by the then-Republican-controlled legislature.

The plan would purportedly raise no more than $30 million over two years from all Minnesota residents who live 60 days to just under six months in Minnesota by taxing their capital gains and dividends as well as income from stocks and bonds.

However, the prorated income tax would largely hit older residents and retirees, known as “snowbirds” because they leave northern states to establish residency in such warmer places as Arizona and Florida.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,153,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Thank you to all who responded; especially to fmwalk who provided the link that addressed the issue. Surprisingly, looks like the answer is "no"-CA will not tax pensions for out of state residents. Let's not make a big ruckus over this though, California is desperately looking for revenue right now!

At one time CA taxed or tried to tax ALL pensions earned while living in CA for people who no longer resided in the state. The Supreme Court told them that was a no no. I forget whether it was the State court or Fed., it has been a long time.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM

31,696 posts, read 41,160,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
At one time CA taxed or tried to tax ALL pensions earned while living in CA for people who no longer resided in the state. The Supreme Court told them that was a no no. I forget whether it was the State court or Fed., it has been a long time.
Watch states try to figure out how to try it again.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM

37,650 posts, read 61,744,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"100 acres of forest cost 105 each year"--

Since most people would desire a house to built in that forest ( few retirees would want to live in a forest with no house) , what would the taxes be after a house was built ?

Would the taxes on 100 acres of forest including a house still only be $105 per year? If so, that is really cheap.

If not , your post is misleading as most retirees would want a house to go along with that forest.
( unless their name is Smokey the bear. )

It took a few years before they began taxing my house, 2400 sq ft is taxes around $450 /year.

Which I think is more than made up for by not paying income taxes on my pension.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,612,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
The Fed. effective in 1996. Title 4 USC §114. That's when I made the decision to retire ABC - Anywhere But California.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM

6,698 posts, read 7,157,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You are correct that this state the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts has not raised the state's income tax rate. What has gone up is property tax, gax tax, excise tax, sales tax (not for a while though), cigarette tax, liquor tax. Our cost of living has increased as a result.

I am not saying that this isn't a great state to live and work in. I know that I will not remain here in the future. Once I am retired and I get my wife to retire, the two of us will settle out our business sale if we get anything, our home sale and get the moving truck on the road we are heading to a warmer and lower cost of living state. Currently that state in our mind is Texas. Yes it still has sales tax, but my pensions are not taxed. Our home sale will net us more than enough to pay cash for the new home in Texas. We are not even sure if we will buy a home. We might lease. Bottom line is I know that as nice as New England is it is not the place I want to live out my life.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,949 times
I have a $130,000 annual Florida State Pension. Will the State of California tax that if I move there.
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,949 times
Red face California Taxes

I am curious if my $130,000 Fla State Pension would be taxed by CA if I should retire there.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement