Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Don't bother with the library for this book. It was printed in small numbers
and is really old which is why I included the link to the complete book that
can be downloaded/read for......free!

edit to add......
Seriously consider adding a decent bike (NOT an xmart bike) to your methods of travel.
Way,way to many American's think bikes are toys for kids but they without a doubt the
most effecient cheap way to move people from (and material you need) from place to
place. I use bikes & adult trikes everyday to keep my 63 yr old body both in shape
and save huge money doing all my intown errands. Once you get past a little sorness
and ride a properly fitted to you bike you'll fall in love with the new found freedom
of cycling as an adult!!!
Yes, I downloaded it for free. Looks like she was way ahead of her time. Where is she now and what is she doing?

As for bikes, great idea, but the motorists around here will mow you down. Talking on cell phones and battling with their kids in the car. I'd rather walk or take the bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,717,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, I downloaded it for free. Looks like she was way ahead of her time. Where is she now and what is she doing?

As for bikes, great idea, but the motorists around here will mow you down. Talking on cell phones and battling with their kids in the car. I'd rather walk or take the bus!
Good'o on the download, mate. As to the author......haven't a clue.
The 70's was a looooooooooooooong time ago..no?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM

326 posts, read 765,868 times
It will be years (something like 15) before I can retire. But I think a lot about retirement and started planning it last year. The property tax is a big issue for me too. I live in Texas where there is no income tax, but the property tax can kill you. My current house's market value is about 200k, the annual tax is about $5000!! I have been joking about buying a piece of land in the burb where there is no HOA, and park a RV on it, saving me all the tax $s (the first $20k on the primary residence doesn't pay tax). But that might be something I'll do if I don't have much money when I retire. Or maybe I'll find a place where property and income taxes are both low.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,717,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
It will be years (something like 15) before I can retire. But I think a lot about retirement and started planning it last year. The property tax is a big issue for me too. I live in Texas where there is no income tax, but the property tax can kill you. My current house's market value is about 200k, the annual tax is about $5000!! I have been joking about buying a piece of land in the burb where there is no HOA, and park a RV on it, saving me all the tax $s (the first $20k on the primary residence doesn't pay tax). But that might be something I'll do if I don't have much money when I retire. Or maybe I'll find a place where property and income taxes are both low.
While this may not seem important now somewhere in your middle life
you need to re-focus on downsizing your dwelling place 'cause it will
consume massive amounts of personal energy for upkeep and other
cost. Downsize at no later that 55 to get you in a right sized house and
community for your later less active years.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,501,031 times
Tightwad, I just read "Possum Living". What a delightful, down-to-earth, insightful work! Are you Dolly? If so, well-done!!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,550,466 times
What a wonderful thread! Especially since everyone can't retire with lots of savings or a big pension. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that more people actually retire on a shoestring than with a big savings account or being able to live off their investments! Thanks for starting this thread newenglandgirl!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great ideas, StealthRabbit. What's your situation in general?
Early retiree ... outsourced - 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility (but after 32 yrs service)...(currently under 55, been retired for 4+)
Went back to school for 4 yrs and just finished masters. (But hope I never have to work again.. fat chance)
Have always dabbled in investment real estate (sold most of it 2 yrs ago)
Currently looking for PASSIVE 'income replacement' (seeking to own a small senior mobile home park), as I will be in retirement for 40+ yrs, but no pension / healthcare.

Quote:
Do you like where you're living, esp cost-wise?
Can't afford to stay where I am - Property taxes have gone from $800 / yr to $12,000 / yr - I hope I can sell this beast (it is one I built from scratch, and in a national scenic area... can't replace it (restricted growth))
Cost of living is ok (except for prop taxes), 100+" rain per yr is a bit too much for a 'prairie kid'. Location is pretty sweet (1.5 hr to beach, 1 to ski mtns, 30 min to metro / 20 min to a great international airport, 2 min to nice rain forest w/ 200' tall trees... backyard)

Looking for a low tax situation (property / sales) income is minimal (currently zero). I will keep a domicile in a tax free state, probably SD, as it only requires one night residency / yr.

Want to be near a college, lap swimming, and airport (I do volunteer international aid). FREE HS internet would really be a plus.

NO HOT / MUGGY climate for me (Tho I may be forced to move to Asia to afford health care - BTDT)

Never lived in town, except when living in Singapore (that is 'town' on steroids ... 6 mil multi-nationals on a 25 mile long island)

Cheap travel is key for me, I would much rather be gone than be home, but.... I have STUFF (Big time, being a farm kid). I may need to find a way to stash stuff while I travel, but it takes a long time to find the antique / retro stuff I have, (tractors / tools / furniture that came via covered wagon) so I need to be careful with 'downsizing'. In about 10 yrs I will be more keen on hanging around a nice small cottage with a shared HUGE garden and shop / studio with guest rooms. (I like to host travelers)

Previous homes... Colorado (near Estes Park for 25 yrs), NE, WY, WA / OR, Asia, Spain, British Columbia (Thetis Island) Been very 'fortunate', but currently not sleeping well, paying over $30 / day for prop taxes. I do eat on less that $3/day, but spend plenty of time at the library to get some 'tax-value', I may end up LIVING there

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-20-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,937,879 times
Wow! Great thread!
I'm already "retired" and living on minimal income, not old enough to dip into what's left of retirement funds or SS.
I'm actively working on moving to NH because there is no State income tax and the property tax goes away at age 65, and I'm homesick for the north. I may be crazy but I'm determined!
The book on Possum Living is a great idea and I plan to download and read it. I'll chime in with any ideas as they pop up!
Thanks for a great thread!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Early retiree ... outsourced - 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility (but after 32 yrs service)...(currently under 55, been retired for 4+)
Went back to school for 4 yrs and just finished masters. (But hope I never have to work again.. fat chance)
Have always dabbled in investment real estate (sold most of it 2 yrs ago)
Currently looking for PASSIVE 'income replacement' (seeking to own a small senior mobile home park), as I will be in retirement for 40+ yrs, but no pension / healthcare.

Can't afford to stay where I am - Property taxes have gone from $800 / yr to $12,000 / yr - I hope I can sell this beast (it is one I built from scratch, and in a national scenic area... can't replace it (restricted growth))
Cost of living is ok (except for prop taxes), 100+" rain per yr is a bit too much for a 'prairie kid'. Location is pretty sweet (1.5 hr to beach, 1 to ski mtns, 30 min to metro / 20 min to a great international airport, 2 min to nice rain forest w/ 200' tall trees... backyard)

Looking for a low tax situation (property / sales) income is minimal (currently zero). I will keep a domicile in a tax free state, probably SD, as it only requires one night residency / yr.

Want to be near a college, lap swimming, and airport (I do volunteer international aid). FREE HS internet would really be a plus.

NO HOT / MUGGY climate for me (Tho I may be forced to move to Asia to afford health care - BTDT)

Never lived in town, except when living in Singapore (that is 'town' on steroids ... 6 mil multi-nationals on a 25 mile long island)

Cheap travel is key for me, I would much rather be gone than be home, but.... I have STUFF (Big time, being a farm kid). I may need to find a way to stash stuff while I travel, but it takes a long time to find the antique / retro stuff I have, (tractors / tools / furniture that came via covered wagon) so I need to be careful with 'downsizing'. In about 10 yrs I will be more keen on hanging around a nice small cottage with a shared HUGE garden and shop / studio with guest rooms. (I like to host travelers)

Previous homes... Colorado (near Estes Park for 25 yrs), NE, WY, WA / OR, Asia, Spain, British Columbia (Thetis Island) Been very 'fortunate', but currently not sleeping well, paying over $30 / day for prop taxes. I do eat on less that $3/day, but spend plenty of time at the library to get some 'tax-value', I may end up LIVING there
Wow, what a life history, makes me feel like a modest little church mouse. You have been around, indeed.

Now I remember your posts on another thread, when everyone on it gasped when your announced your property taxes. I will not make that much in a YEAR on social sec income (assuming it's still around, that is). I can't emphasize enough how the next debacle in this country will be, after the huge defaults on student loans and credit cards....inability of elders to pay property taxes!!! Can't you just see it coming?

In how many years did it take for yours to go from 8 hundred to 12 GRAND???

~~NewEnglGirl

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Wow! Great thread!
I'm already "retired" and living on minimal income, not old enough to dip into what's left of retirement funds or SS.
I'm actively working on moving to NH because there is no State income tax and the property tax goes away at age 65, and I'm homesick for the north. I may be crazy but I'm determined!
The book on Possum Living is a great idea and I plan to download and read it. I'll chime in with any ideas as they pop up!
Thanks for a great thread!
Where is it written that property tax goes away in NH at age 65???

What I know of prop tax in NH is enough to keep me awake nights, if I were a homeowner there!

~~NewEnglGirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement