Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,023,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Livecontent: I'm only just reading your response. Thank you.

Definitely, there's book material here. When I was starting out to learn to cook, I followed the recipes to the gram weight. As I got bolder and more knowledgeable, I graduated to measure-less cooking. I think I've earned my certificate. I credit my cookbooks and mom's wisdom though for my food education and for what I now know. This has empowered me to be fearless in the kitchen. I can therefore be frugal in my choice of ingredients (now that I'm confident in putting stuff together) -- and still be happy in the kitchen. Yes, the prices at Wholepaycheck (Wholefoods) are shocking with everything ho-hum-organic.

How about the title "The Really Really Frugal Gourmet."

But doesn't eating a lot of beans produce wind? Maybe they can be harnessed for eco-fuel.

Hazfora
Years ago when I was in my 20s there was no such thing as a natural foods store. At best there were natural foods coops usually located near a university. members worked a few hours a week. Brown rice was 29 cents a pound, I fed a large family on very little money but great variety.

Today, the food coops around here don't offer much better prices that WF and TJ. Might as well shop there!

Does anyone know of any reputable mail order companies for organic grains, beans, and other products? One that has a definite cost savings over these highly priced stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,285,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Years ago when I was in my 20s there was no such thing as a natural foods store. At best there were natural foods coops usually located near a university. members worked a few hours a week. Brown rice was 29 cents a pound, I fed a large family on very little money but great variety.

Today, the food coops around here don't offer much better prices that WF and TJ. Might as well shop there!

Does anyone know of any reputable mail order companies for organic grains, beans, and other products? One that has a definite cost savings over these highly priced stores?
I think the only way you get significant savings is if you buy in bulk. But then you have to be prepared to store & preserve 50 or 100 lbs of the stuff. The reason I prefer my coop over the big chains is I know they vet the suppliers & make an effort to buy local. It reduces the fraud. I agree, there's no $ savings.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,440,876 times
Quote:
you can look at these guys
Bob's Red Mill

It is down the road from me, so I use it, but I can get a few of their same products cheaper at west coast 'employee owned' grocery store Winco (They may have mail order, at least they should!!!). Winco sells lots of bulk goods and I have been known to 'stock-up' when flying to places around USA and delivering 25# bags of 'stuff' like oatmeal, grains, and beans. Thank goodness SWA does not charge for 'checked' baggage.

I would also look into local graineries and producers. Might be time for a 'roadtrip' to Western PA

Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,480,963 times
I love Bob's Red Mill - but I buy it locally.

I have a friend who orders from Bulk Foods. If you order $75 or more, the shipping is $5. But I have no idea how their prices compare to your local stores.

I've ordered from Netrition on occasion for specialty items or if something is on clearance - no matter how small or how heavy, the shipping is always $4.95

(I have no affiliation with any of the above!)

Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. Storing large quantities is a problem, only for one. I have friends who might go in on an order, so it may be worth trying. The things I find the most expensive are bottled oils, jarred items like sugarless jam or pickles, etc. We have discount stores where you can get Polaner jellies (sugarless) but you never know how long things have been hanging around a warehouse under what conditions (even if the exp date is good). Shampoos, soaps, don't have them in bullk around here...

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM

2,843 posts, read 3,220,794 times
Quote:

Shipping makes them end up very expensive, because they are so heavy.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Today I decided to return to the old envelope system, with a set amount of cash in different envelopes for different categories--personal, clothing, car gas, "entertainment," etc. (money for house insurance and taxes, utilities in checking acct)...just the things that I would be laying out weekly in cash, partly to be more in control of spending and partly to see where my money goes. I can readily see where delayed gratification comes in! When I got all done and it seemed so neat, I suddenly realized I'd forgotten something I'd never give up...my café muffins and coffee! I didn't realize how much that little necessity adds up to every month, and I don't do lattes! (one wonderful local cafe offers dollar size coffee cups). So that threw everything off and I had to revise the amounts in each envelope. But I have to say that this system, when I did it in the past, works pretty well when living on a shoestring....

Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Today's Washington Post -- "Granny Pods" - LOL This is a real shoestring idea! I've actually heard of temporary add-on's before.

washingtonpost.com

Click on link in the article to see a floor plan.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,285,537 times
Quote:
Today's Washington Post -- "Granny Pods" - LOL This is a real shoestring idea! I've actually heard of temporary add-on's before.

washingtonpost.com

Click on link in the article to see a floor plan.
No floor plan when I went there. At $2000 per month rent (plus the moving, hookups, & set up fees, I'm sure) this does not seem shoe string at all. You would still need a caregiver on top of that.

I guess the real innovation is getting a place to override the zoning laws. Seems like a RV trailer would be a lot less expensive.

The reason in-home care is much less expensive is the home is already there & all you need pay for is the caregiver. The price on this thing is more than my mortgage was.

I don't think this will go anywhere. Just another scheme to try to separate the infirm elderly from their money.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM

It's not a new idea, I've heard of these "add-on's" before. I could imagine some merit to the idea. We could take our "pod" with us from kid to kid, place to place, and then we could all end up in one place in our pods. Maybe the White House lawn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement