Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,110,565 times

Advertisements

I so appreciate the lively and thoughtful discussion on this thread! So many points to consider----it can be a quandry. By the way, Triciajean, had to laugh at your comment about going over the edge! Maybe I could grab somebody's leg as I whiz over......lol.

I am lucky to have some wonderful friends here where I am. But like me, they are aging---some are older than I am by 15 years--and it seems many of us have had some kind of health issues. So as far as being able to count on my friends in the long run.......it's questionable. My sons are in 2 different states. Either would be ammenable to my moving near by, but both are in areas with severe weather changes that I cannot tolerate. Barometric pressure changes cause me a lot of actual pain and fatigue. It sure seemed that other than when the monsoon time occurs, the southwest climate has been very good for me when I've visited. Also, cost of living prevents me from relocating near my kids.

I love my sons very much, and long to see my grandchildren more often, but since I am the one now responsible for my decisions, I'm thinking it would be better for all of us if I live somewhere that I feel much better and can actively participate in life, than closer to them feeling miserable and unable to be very productive much of the time. As far as the long term---who knows? Maybe they'll find some wonderful new method of treatment in the next few years.....but I have to base my decision on what is possible now.

So many of you make some very good points. And a decision llike this is tough. I think that asking friends/family what they think is a good idea. I have, and I get a wide variety of responses---all worth considering. And as was also mentioned, it's easier (not easy but easier) to make such a huge move the younger we are.

I am terrified in some ways, but elated in others. It is a chance to explore a new lifestyle, hopefully be healthier and feel better and more energetic than I have in ages. And I guess that it follows that if I feel better, perhaps I can make the change more positive. I know for sure that I want to try this. It's the inability to get insurance that is holding me here. Will it be a huge challenge? Oh, yeah! Can I handle it? I guess I won't know the answer to that until I try. But I've handled so much more than I ever anticipated in the last 6 years. If I can maintain a positive outlook (and that's a big "if" for me) then I think it's doable. But my answer isn't necessarily your answer, or her answer, or hers. But when we think together like this, make suggestions, it helps shed light for everyone.

Today is my 59th birthday. I want to have moved by the time I'm 60 next year, and preferably before. Sure hope it happens. But in light of all that has transpired, I'm not making any bets. I'm just trying to move "forward" at least!

Kudos to all of you brave, warm-hearted, intelligent women. And thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,279,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I so appreciate the lively and thoughtful discussion on this thread! So many points to consider----it can be a quandry. By the way, Triciajean, had to laugh at your comment about going over the edge! Maybe I could grab somebody's leg as I whiz over......lol.

I am lucky to have some wonderful friends here where I am. But like me, they are aging---some are older than I am by 15 years--and it seems many of us have had some kind of health issues. So as far as being able to count on my friends in the long run.......it's questionable. My sons are in 2 different states. Either would be ammenable to my moving near by, but both are in areas with severe weather changes that I cannot tolerate. Barometric pressure changes cause me a lot of actual pain and fatigue. It sure seemed that other than when the monsoon time occurs, the southwest climate has been very good for me when I've visited. Also, cost of living prevents me from relocating near my kids.

I love my sons very much, and long to see my grandchildren more often, but since I am the one now responsible for my decisions, I'm thinking it would be better for all of us if I live somewhere that I feel much better and can actively participate in life, than closer to them feeling miserable and unable to be very productive much of the time. As far as the long term---who knows? Maybe they'll find some wonderful new method of treatment in the next few years.....but I have to base my decision on what is possible now.

So many of you make some very good points. And a decision llike this is tough. I think that asking friends/family what they think is a good idea. I have, and I get a wide variety of responses---all worth considering. And as was also mentioned, it's easier (not easy but easier) to make such a huge move the younger we are.

I am terrified in some ways, but elated in others. It is a chance to explore a new lifestyle, hopefully be healthier and feel better and more energetic than I have in ages. And I guess that it follows that if I feel better, perhaps I can make the change more positive. I know for sure that I want to try this. It's the inability to get insurance that is holding me here. Will it be a huge challenge? Oh, yeah! Can I handle it? I guess I won't know the answer to that until I try. But I've handled so much more than I ever anticipated in the last 6 years. If I can maintain a positive outlook (and that's a big "if" for me) then I think it's doable. But my answer isn't necessarily your answer, or her answer, or hers. But when we think together like this, make suggestions, it helps shed light for everyone.

Today is my 59th birthday. I want to have moved by the time I'm 60 next year, and preferably before. Sure hope it happens. But in light of all that has transpired, I'm not making any bets. I'm just trying to move "forward" at least!

Kudos to all of you brave, warm-hearted, intelligent women. And thank you!
Happy Birthday Angel..aw you are just a pup! Like me!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
Happy Birthday, artangel! I dont post much (because I dont have much to say) but I really enjoy your contributions.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Dogmom---is that a photo of you on that cover? Or just the suggestion of an era??? Thanks for the sentiment! And thank you to texasfirewheel, too! I had a nice afternoon nap to celebrate! lol

Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Happy Birthday, artangel! I dont post much (because I dont have much to say) but I really enjoy your contributions.
Hi there, you might have more to say than you think! Jump on in!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Dogmom---is that a photo of you on that cover? Or just the suggestion of an era??? Thanks for the sentiment! And thank you to texasfirewheel, too! I had a nice afternoon nap to celebrate! lol
Oh no, not me although it does resemble me a bit when I was that age, but more a representation of our era...I think she is too cute! No, this is me:
Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group-user29931_pic3581_1216216899.jpg

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Dogmom.....you're much cuter!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM

AWWW..thanks, lol..it was a very, very, very, very LONG time ago..

Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times
Quote:
As far as the long term---who knows? Maybe they'll find some wonderful new method of treatment in the next few years.....
I am in the same boat in terms of health and weather conditions--my problem worsens in many conditions esp heat-humidity, extreme dry heat (paradoxically), and very very cold weather. That doesn't leave much. The best place for me is cool/rainy and that would be the PNW--but cannot go there, too too far away from anyone in my family and too too expensive.

I suppose anyone with family/grandkids could look at a far away move this way...what if you were ALL in one place and for various reasons everyone but you had to move away (jobs, etc)? That would leave you standing alone without even having moved. So even though I'm leaning toward staying near family as a I age, in this era nothing makes sense and anything could change at any time for anybody....so, go where the heart says to.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Wow, NewEnglandGirl, that's a tough situation to be in----very limiting. I sure wouldn't be of help, as know nothing about PNW. So.....any kind of hot weather bothers you---is that correct? And extreme cold. Right? So you need temperate weather, or cool, not cold, and nothing too dry. And cannot get hot. Most of southeast or southwest gets too hot........central states have the heat/humidity and many have very cold winters. Would it be too dry for you in the mountains of Az., or too cool in Co.? Sorry....just trying to think. Wish I could help.

I do agree with you about trying to stay near family if possible, but seems difficult, like you said. My sons are not positive they'll stay anywhere, although oldest probably will for next 10 yrs------but, even that is iffy with jobs disappearing or shifting. He's in a relatively secure position and won't say more as he doesn't like me to talk about any particulars on-line. Youngest still not certain where he'll be for sure. He can predict short term pretty accurately, but long term???? So to build my life around my kids won't work, as much as I'd love to see them and families more often.

Feeling pretty discouraged today, as not hopeful about healthcare/health insurance changing in the near future, if at all. I feel so "stuck" here. Guess I should check other locations than Az., but have my heart set on it. Making such a huge move is daunting, let alone to somewhere I know nothing about. At least I've visited in Az. about 6 times...... many of you are checking out multiple places. I applaud you! Has anyone checked around Las Vegas? I mention it because of foreclosures there---I'll be looking for lower-priced housing in arrid, sunny climate. If anyone has info, would be glad to hear it. I'll do some checking, too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement