Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,569,257 times

Advertisements

There probably are a number of us on the Retirement board that have Osteoarthritis and allergies--especially to tree pollen. Understand that warm, dry climates are best for both.
From my research, it seems the warm and dry States are: Nevada; Utah; Idaho; New Mexico; Montana; Wyoming; and Colorado. Arizona has a desert climate, and isn't considered warm and dry.
Anyone go to a city in any of these States to retire--that has Osteoarthritis and allergies--and feel better there?
I'm considering Las Vegas, but would like to hear from others about where they went and how the warm/dry climate is helping if possible. My osteoarthritis gets worse with age, of course, and my allergies are draining, so I am good and sick of it..and ready to be more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
I have allergies and the absolute worst place for me is Colorado in summer. Allergies depend on what you are allergic to and you can develop them after you move. For me, there doesn't seem to be any place that I am free of them.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
There probably are a number of us on the Retirement board that have Osteoarthritis and allergies--especially to tree pollen. Understand that warm, dry climates are best for both.
From my research, it seems the warm and dry States are: Nevada; Utah; Idaho; New Mexico; Montana; Wyoming; and Colorado. Arizona has a desert climate, and isn't considered warm and dry.
Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and Idaho are ALL "desert" states. Wyoming, Montana, and the remaining parts of Colorado and Idaho have cold winters, with temps below freezing (and often below zero) and snow.

Generally, in arid states, mostly warm climates also mean very hot summers. To get year-round mild temps, you generally need moderating ocean breezes, which can mean humid (Florida) or very expensive (California).

Probably the best place for what you are looking for would be in the San Diego area, within about 2 miles of the coast. It's also very expensive, compared to housing in other parts of the US.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM

345 posts, read 1,016,109 times
Southern California is dry, too!! Everyone seems to forget that L.A. was originally a desert (still is, actually). I lived there for 12 years and loved it, but as I got older needed to come back to my originally roots so I left.

I know it's got many problems and it's far more costly than when I lived there but I went back to visit a few years ago and it's still beautiful and the weather is still WONDERFUL!! (Oh, by the way, I'm an allergy sufferer and when I lived there my allergies were almost non-existent...)

Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM

San Diego is gorgeous, but with the high personal State income tax rate there I can buy alot of meds..ha!
I forgot to add Hawaii to that list of States that are arid and warm/dry.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I had the worse allereies when i visited Las Vagas;don't know ahy. Even my wife who seldom has probelms did their i the suer tiem. i guess its so hot;dry and dusty really.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times
I grew up in Los Angeles and had horrible allergy problems with the smog. I can't even visit there without taking heavy-duty medication. It depends on what you react to.
And L.A. is damp if you're on the ocean side of the mountains. My mother had severe arthritis and it really bothered her. My parents retired out to Desert Hot Springs (near Palm Springs) and that helped a lot. That's dry heat.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Allergies to tree pollen here.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I grew up in Los Angeles and had horrible allergy problems with the smog. I can't even visit there without taking heavy-duty medication. It depends on what you react to.
And L.A. is damp if you're on the ocean side of the mountains. My mother had severe arthritis and it really bothered her. My parents retired out to Desert Hot Springs (near Palm Springs) and that helped a lot. That's dry heat.
Hi, Knoxgarden!! I'm probably going to be moving to your neck of the woods!!! Well, I didn't grow-up in L.A. but I lived there from 1978-1989 and I lived at the foot of the Santa Monica mountains. I guess I was blessed because I can only remember about a handful of days where the smog was so bad that it bothered me (those days my lungs hurt!! ) But other than that, my allergies weren't bad.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 11,818 times
Hello,

My mother has had allergies for most of her life. After three rounds of phenomena she moved from East Tennessee in 2007 to New Mexico. Her allergies are almost gone and she feels so much better. She is down to only one nose spray as needed.

They visited the entire West and Florida staying in an area for two weeks at a time to see how she did. I would suggest visiting an area to see if you feel better.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement