Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times

Advertisements

I recently spoke to an individual who was counting the days until he was 62 so he could retire. His wife is 4 years older and collects social security. He just recently got laid off; they are financially secure. However, he is a negative type person and now is moaning and groaning about not having anything to do.

With these unexpected times, are plans changing? Location of retirement?

If you are retired, is there anything you wished you had done differently?

Did you or do you miss being in the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM

70 posts, read 263,222 times

I will retire July 1st of this year. Our county is talking of furloughs for all county employees(I'm a public school teacher) for the upcoming fiscal year beginning July 1st. That's 13 days of no pay so I'm getting out now. If I can sell my house I'd like to move south where housing is cheaper.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I retired in 2000 and my wife just retired march 08. I don't regret It at all and she doesn't either. But we plan for it along time.We do very thing we always have but now we are not on such a tight schedule as we were, We have alot more time for friends and family. We were talking the other day about how we ever got everything done when we worked.We are very fortunate that we planned ahead and are secure in retirement.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Regret retiring and moving someplace new? Certainly not. My life is so full, sometimes I wonder how I ever found time to work.

I do pity those people who have few interests beyond work, tv and going to WalMart. They have shortchanged themselves buying into our shallow consumer culture.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times

Yes, our plans changed. We retired last March and had hoped to sell our now-too-big house and move to New England to be closer to my family. But the economy has meant a pretty steep decline in our house's assessment, so we're staying put for now. And that's fine - we can afford the house and the area, and find that northern Virginia is a really great place to live when you don't have to get out there in rush hour traffic!

I don't think so. My wife and I retired on the same day - she retired just as soon as she could, and I retired about a year after I was eligible. I think the one thing that my wife would have changed would have been to retire sooner, if she had been able to. Life is good ... but retired life is wonderful!

My wife - no. She's very busy with stained glass, and water exercise, and working with a dog we adopted last month.

Me - yeah, after working for 34 years (in one place), I do miss the work, and the people ... well, not the managers, but the regular people. I had thought I would have a part-time job long before now, but with the economy, well, I haven't exactly been pounding the pavement looking for something. There are too many people out of work, and I don't need to work - I'd just rather do so.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Thank you for the replies

It is interesting to hear where people are and some positive responses. Sometimes, you have to be flexible as I see in your replies.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Having been retired for two years now, and retiring at 54, I can tell you that I have no regrets. I had significant life disruption, both leaving an organization where I had worked since 20 years old and moving over 2000 miles to another section of the country.

Realistically, there are certain things I miss about working, challenges and relationships being the most significant voids. I have found that with some minor efforts, you can create alternative challenges and relationships, as long as you understand that they will be "different" than what you left and that you will be a newcomer to many of the ongoing discussions. If you have a good attitude, willingness to be patient and respectful, and allow the process to naturally evolve, you can end up with some interesting new challenges and leadership opportunities, even in a volunteer environment.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Yes, our plans changed. We retired last March and had hoped to sell our now-too-big house and move to New England to be closer to my family. But the economy has meant a pretty steep decline in our house's assessment, so we're staying put for now. ...
Lets get creative

We have a 'now-too-big-house' also... but worse is the tax man...$33/day he likes our dirt ($300k value for the building lot, house is extra)

but... we could never replace the view, as it is in a national scenic area (no more homes allowed). now for some creative options
I've been looking into fractional ownership (similar to time share, but for houses and farms. You usually only have 2-4 owners, and stay in different places for several months (rotating houses, or staying in guest house at same site)) This became pretty popular for people who wanted vineyards in the US, but found they could get them cheaper in France + they came with caretakers!

other options for Casa Grande
1) split it into apartment (has full daylight basement with all services and view)
2) build a separate guest house
3) refinance, take the cash and move overseas, letting the meth heads take over the house.

For 'What to do different'... don't work for a SUPERB private company for 32 yrs and get laid off 6 weeks before retirement (due to 'new' ceo that was really into herself..., not company culture)

lesson... follow your heart in career choices, or at least be strategic to your 'end-game'.

Retire MUCH earlier.

Do the 'double income' during your 20's and early 30's, live very frugal when you are young.
BOTH parents retire as soon as you have all the kids (get best use of insurance $$)
Live on an island when kids are small (our kids REALLY liked living on a BC Island they could "explore" + take out the canoe / boats with their friends.)
Travel and live all over the world as a young family. (that was great too)
Go back to work when they are 13, and you send them to Dairy Farm Boarding school (it was only a threat for ours)
Move away while they are gone (should have done that,,, to avoid boomerang kids)

Make the kids get loans for college (they'll never forgive me for that.. but they only pay 2.7% on their $14k loans)

Do lots more traveling when young, and live VERY cheap (good practice for retirement)

Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I recently spoke to an individual who was counting the days until he was 62 so he could retire. His wife is 4 years older and collects social security. He just recently got laid off; they are financially secure. However, he is a negative type person and now is moaning and groaning about not having anything to do.

I feel bad for people who are forced to go out before they have done any retirement planning besides financial planning. I don't think you can have a great retirement unless you have some idea of what you are looking forward to other than the cessation of work, just getting up in the morning and still being able to pay your bills.

The state of the economy hasn't impacted me on a day-to-day basis, just the money put aside in case of a major crisis/situation was impacted, so I haven't felt it...yet. I moved to a relatively cheap location (compared to NY or MD) in retirement. The primary workforce in my town is government and government-contracting (a lot of science/engineering types) and they are still hiring. Most of the retirees I have met have lived here since the 50s, 60s and 70s - they are not new to the town or trying to sell their homes. Retail, however, is not doing so well.

I don't miss work and haven't since the day I walked out the door. I didn't dislike my job, either. There were just new things I wanted to do. The only thing I would have done differently is minor. I would have bought my leased car before I moved but that's not really a retirement thing, it's a moving thing.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM

96 posts, read 323,498 times
I absolutely love retirement. When I worked, I was focused and worked hard. Now, I'm retired. I play and relax with the same spirit. I love it....everything about it. I have seen my life take directions that I would never have imagined.....I suppose that is one of the best things....having time to imagine, to dream, to wander through life, to be open to new directions as they come my way.

We lived BENEATH OUR MEANS for years.....now in retirement, we have more disposable income than we did when we worked. We never missed what we saved because we didn't use to living on it!! Now we have the same life stye, but are able to splurge where we want/when we want!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement