Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:43 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

I just noticed in my checking account that I had an unusual deposit from SSA so I looked at my SSA account and it states that this is a "Social Security (one time payment)". There is absolutely no itemization or explanation of what this is for. It was fairly substantial too. Anyone else receive something like this??? I had one back in 2022 but it was just for $60 so I ignored it, but I never found out what it was either.

I think I'm going to have to call them and make sure they didn't make a mistake and take it back later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 04:27 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
DH got a payment like that. He worked some after taking his SS, and after a while they increase your SS payment because you were still paying in.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
DH got a payment like that. He worked some after taking his SS, and after a while they increase your SS payment because you were still paying in.
I have not worked since retiring 2 years ago. Can't be that - I'm not still paying in anything.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:09 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
It is very common.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It is very common.
Okay. But why is it sent? What is the reason?

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Try googling. 2024 ssa one time payment.

One of the reasons is SSI eligible people receiving 250. But there are some other categories of back payments being sent as well.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Try googling. 2024 ssa one time payment.

One of the reasons is SSI eligible people receiving 250. But there are some other categories of back payments being sent as well.
LOL!! As if I did not do that already. I never ask anything on a forum that I have not already looked into myself. I don't receive SSI - and yes that does seem to be the overwhelming reason for these payments.

Anyway, looks like I have a piece of mail coming today - I expect it will be an explanation.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

746 posts, read 441,939 times
Social Security has been promising a one time or Extra payment at the end of the month for the last few years for those of us on disability, but I have yet to see a dime of it.

The one time payment thing is clearly bull****.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

810 posts, read 1,181,713 times
It’s not uncommon. A letter of explanation comes in about 4-6 weeks. Usually something like “we’ve recalculated and found you are entitled to a higher amount. Starting with your (month/year) check you will now receive $xx monthly”

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM

746 posts, read 441,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
It’s not uncommon. A letter of explanation comes in about 4-6 weeks. Usually something like “we’ve recalculated and found you are entitled to a higher amount. Starting with your (month/year) check you will now receive $xx monthly”

If you are referring to the letter they send every December talking about a cost of living raise for the following year, yes, THAT letter I get. I'm talking about the notices posted to the MSN homepage talking about how we folks on disability will get a second payment on our birthday month if our birthdays fall on a certain day. When this failed to occur the first time I read it, I called the SS office and asked about it, and was told they knew nothing about what I was talking about. So I figured it was a scam and stopped taking it seriously, even though those notices continue to be reported to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement