Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 09:32 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,080,459 times

Advertisements

The digital exams at the doctor's office are quite different than they were in engineering school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 10:27 AM

11,157 posts, read 9,789,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I didn't say it was, if you bother to read.
I am quite educated on the subject, as my husband gave many a lecture on prostate issues. I am his proofreader

Women get pap smears, which also involve taking tissue from an area. And we all get that done annually. A few men getting one IS a walk in the park.
Did you read the article?

What I am objecting to is your statement, in your earlier post that I quoted that said "A prostate exam is a walk in the park". Unless you've had one, I'd say you still don't know what you're talking about.

After approximately 50 pap smears myself, where they gently scrape a wooden spatula across your cervix to collect a few cells, I'd say that's not the same as sticking a scope up your butt, while poking up to 25 needles through the skin of the perineum and then into the prostate to take samples. I've also never read of a pap smear requiring general anesthesia as my DH's prostate biopsy did, or having anywhere near the same kind of side effects afterwards. I saw what DH went through and it left him with pain, swelling, blood in the urine for several days, and temporary ED. Hardly a "Walk in the park".

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-24-2024 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2024, 10:37 AM

3,154 posts, read 1,611,477 times
Quote:
Oh, please, how about annual pap smears, and annual pelvic exams? A prostate biopsy is a walk in the park...
Then there are mammograms... and childbirth.

And the other poster is correct... the doctors have seen hundreds of private parts and there is no need for shame.
People suck it up and get it done!

At least you don't have to study for your exams now....
Men never know about labor and delivering a baby vaginally -- pain, shame or modesty.
Yet, most women do not complain.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:19 AM

13,668 posts, read 9,744,263 times
OK, how many of you fine and honorable men or women have every suffered through a PhD candidacy exam? Without anesthesia (local or general)?

Old 04-24-2024, 12:41 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

What I am objecting to is your statement, in your earlier post that I quoted that said "A prostate exam is a walk in the park".
Nope... you are wrong.
I said:
Quote:
Oh, please, how about annual pap smears, and annual pelvic exams? A prostate biopsy is a walk in the park...
Then there are mammograms... and childbirth.
And that was in reference to the OP stating how he feels violated and ashamed.
I was merely telling him that women go through similar procedures on a routine basis.

And as someone who has had multiple uterine, thyroid, and other biopsies, one prostate biopsy IS a walk in the park to me.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:00 PM

11,622 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
So I didn't have to study for my urine test?
You only have to study for kidney stones. Assuming you want to pass.

Yep. Corny.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:40 PM

329 posts, read 67,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I think The OP's post is meant to be humor
Of course I try to take it with humor. Putting humor on our dramas makes them more bearable. Sure, getting a colonoscopy is stressful and embarrassing. A beautiful young nurse was in charge of applying that... behind me. I know that at my age this will be the only way for a girl like that to do something about my private parts, but anyway I prefer to pass.Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
A prostate exam (finger in the rectum) is not a biopsy. That is a routine screening exam. A biopsy is only performed when there is a sustained high PSA result indicating some likely stage of prostate cancer. Read here about it.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostat...rostate-biopsy
Thanks for the link. I read it all and it's very instructive. I, as your husband, had to go through that. They didn't put me under anesthesia. I felt each and every cut for the sample as a tear inside. And afterwards I suffered the consequences you describe for your husband. I wouldn't wish it even to my worst enemy. Horrible.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 9,789,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
Of course I try to take it with humor. Putting humor on our dramas makes them more bearable. Sure, getting a colonoscopy is stressful and embarrassing. A beautiful young nurse was in charge of applying that... behind me. I know that at my age this will be the only way for a girl like that to do something about my private parts, but anyway I prefer to pass.Thanks

Thanks for the link. I read it all and it's very instructive. I, as your husband, had to go through that. They didn't put me under anesthesia. I felt each and every cut for the sample as a tear inside. And afterwards I suffered the consequences you describe for your husband. I wouldn't wish it even to my worst enemy. Horrible.
Just a "walk in the park". :^(

I hope your biopsy results and treatment were successful. Best to you!

Old 04-24-2024, 09:13 PM

997 posts, read 550,519 times
Quote:
I hope God preserves your health, you never have a sustainably high PSA and you don't have to have a prostate biopsy. Because in that case I think you'd change your mind.
We all gotta go at some point.

My dad died at 82 of COPD because of his 2 cigar/day habit. Without the cigars he probably would've lived to 90 and died of alzheimers instead.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:24 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Quote:

I did a double take. "I, as your husband" means a relationship. "I, as your husband did" is a comparative.

I can't imagine that anesthesia wasn't used. You might want to find a different healthcare provider.

As a side comment, comparisons between the pain males and females have to go through is not helpful, off-topic, and painful in itself. Most of us get to feel pain in our lifetimes. Some of it is worse than others. No badges of honor are handed out for having experienced the most pain.

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you are offered a "virtual" colonoscopy - pass on it. Turning your colon into a party balloon and putting a cork in it for portraits is more painful than Mr. Snake, and if polyps are found, Mr. Snake has to visit anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement