Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 09:14 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,003,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I paint rocks, some with slogans on them, and, at night, not wanting anyone to know who's doing it, I distribute them in an 8-block radius of my house. When I pass by a house now with 20-30 rocks in front, it brings me joy and hopefully joy to others.
This is awesome! "Stealth joy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 09:39 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
We've found the rocks before (probably not Stealth's), there are FB pages to where you find the rocks, then you go put them somewhere else for other's to find.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2024, 10:16 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Give Joy to others and you give joy to yourself. So put some joy into your life. The greatest high in life comes from feeling needed. Find some way to feel needed.

I paint rocks, some with slogans on them, and, at night, not wanting anyone to know who's doing it, I distribute them in an 8-block radius of my house. When I pass by a house now with 20-30 rocks in front, it brings me joy and hopefully joy to others.
Huh. I paint rocks with dark cryptic warnings on them, put on black clothing and a hoodie, hurl them through windows in the dead of night, and then run like hell.

No, I don't really do that. Just a fantasy.

But I don't want to feel needed. I spent too much of my life having the energy sucked out of me by needy people. Done with that, or at least I severely curtail being needed these days in order to protect my own mental and emotional health.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:38 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh. I paint rocks with dark cryptic warnings on them, put on black clothing and a hoodie, hurl them through windows in the dead of night, and then run like hell.

No, I don't really do that. Just a fantasy.

But I don't want to feel needed. I spent too much of my life having the energy sucked out of me by needy people. Done with that, or at least I severely curtail being needed these days in order to protect my own mental and emotional health.

My kind of person.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2024, 12:49 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Recently retired. I’ve tried to keep myself busy with various hobbies and groups. I won’t say that I’m bored. But I definitely feel the lack of purpose. Every day I ask myself, “ what are we doing today?” Well, maybe there’s a hike, a golf game, a party, or some chore to do. But none of these give me the sense of purpose I had in my job. Does anyone care if I even get out of bed?

Anyone else have this problem? Is it temporary, or do I need to find something more fulfilling?
The people you get together with would miss you if you didn't show up. If the activities that you participate in bring you and others joy I'd say that what you are doing is meaningful. In many ways it might be a lot more meaningful than the work you did at your former job.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:09 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I spent so much of my pre-retirement life doing what felt like I needed to do that I had to spend time learning how to feel good about myself just being. But after a while I realized that what I've done all my life is what my purpose is. How obvious is that?

I nurture, teach, learn, give, listen. I can't not.

When I retired I was glad I didn't have to do any of that anymore unless I wanted to. I was tired.

Like MQ I didn't want to be "on call." But the things I feel compelled to do are so much a part of my nature that I want to make room in each day to do them.

Retirement has made it possible to pace myself, emptying and filling in a more reliable way than I could when I was working. I don't want or need recognition. That's too obligating for me.

But I had to learn to be okay with saying, "no" and with allowing myself to just be when it's time.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 263 times
Hello, It's all the more about you finding a daily routine to replace working on the daily basis. Enjoying your time is not a bad idea since you have been able to get a chance to retire and I assume you are just bored as heck. Take it easy and you earned the right to put your feet up and relax.. Try to find a different place to go, travel, get a little list of things that you want to do that you really couldn't do while working.
Please stay healthy and think about getting a part time job if you really need to do that.. congratulations on your retirement I wish I was able to get a job my health is not good right now but I hope all goes well for you.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:14 PM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
What is my purpose in life?
That's called an existential crisis. It can happen when one has a lot of free time on their hands.
Quote:
In psychology and psychotherapy, existential crises are inner conflicts characterized by the impression that life lacks meaning or by confusion about one's personal identity. Existential crises are accompanied by anxiety and stress, often to such a degree that they disturb one's normal functioning in everyday life and lead to depression.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

Scientifically, your purpose in life is to survive and reproduce. Everything after that is up to you. My purpose? To be a good person and take care of my family, I don't have a wife or kids, but I have a sister and nieces. My other purpose is to travel to nice places and experience nice things.

Everyone has to find what provides fulfillment, purpose, and satisfaction for them. My retired step father sits around his house all day watching sports, movies, and plays video games. I couldn't do that, but that's his own fulfillment.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:27 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Done that, been there, been used and abused and came back for more. Now it is time to take care of SO and I and our furries. Everyone else gets what is left to give.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Recently retired. I’ve tried to keep myself busy with various hobbies and groups. I won't say that I'm bored. But I definitely feel the lack of purpose. Every day I ask myself, “ what are we doing today?” Well, maybe there’s a hike, a golf game, a party, or some chore to do. But none of these give me the sense of purpose I had in my job. Does anyone care if I even get out of bed?

Anyone else have this problem? Is it temporary, or do I need to find something more fulfilling?
I WILL say that I'm bored AND lack purpose*, but you'll find that's a pretty unpopular position on this forum!

*I also have "groups and hobbies" and always have; it's not enough

Last edited by otterhere; 03-09-2024 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement