Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get that, but we moved from the Midwest, where houses are still selling for under $200k. It’s relative.

But specifically, we could sell our house in the low $400k. The houses we would want to live in in FL would cost more than that.

Yes, I understand that coastal Florida is expensive, but I was taking issue with your statement that coastal Georgia was no longer affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We settled into coastal Georgia 14 years ago. Today, we couldn’t afford to buy a house here. We had thought of moving even further south, but we would be trading down, for more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 11:25 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
15 years ago I retired from my job in the Midwest and retired to coastal San Diego. I bought a modest condo in the 200,000 range with cash. The condos in my complex now sell for well over a million dollars. I don’t know how younger people make it here unless they have highly compensated professional jobs.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:57 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
What about living on a boat in a marina, or "liveaboard"? No property tax, and you're right on the water. I knew a couple (not retirees) who did this in the Los Angeles area and loved it. I guess it's kind of the marine version of a trailer park.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:55 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If I won the lottery, I’d find a Florida cracker house, steps from the beach, if any still exist, and I’d pay whatever it cost, and not change a thing.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
15 years ago I retired from my job in the Midwest and retired to coastal San Diego. I bought a modest condo in the 200,000 range with cash. The condos in my complex now sell for well over a million dollars. I don’t know how younger people make it here unless they have highly compensated professional jobs.
And/or the beneficiaries of family wealth, which of course is not uncommon these days.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:38 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I don’t know about younger people living off wealthy parents. San Diego is a military town. Are they that well paid? My next door neighbor is a Navy doctor. He drives a Jaguar four door sedan. Another person is a married Marine Corps Captain. He has a Porsche SUV. His wife drives a Cadillac Escalade.

We have an underground garage so I see the kind of cars in our complex. Teslas, Mercedes, BMW’s. Another neighbor has a Bentley but he’s an older guy. I feel deprived. Poor me. My car is a ten year old Toyota Corolla. Maybe I need a better ride to keep up with the neighbors.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I don’t know about younger people living off wealthy parents. San Diego is a military town. Are they that well paid? My next door neighbor is a Navy doctor. He drives a Jaguar four door sedan. Another person is a married Marine Corps Captain. He has a Porsche SUV. His wife drives a Cadillac Escalade.

We have an underground garage so I see the kind of cars in our complex. Teslas, Mercedes, BMW’s. Another neighbor has a Bentley but he’s an older guy. I feel deprived. Poor me. My car is a ten year old Toyota Corolla. Maybe I need a better ride to keep up with the neighbors.
Ooo, you have a new one, you fancy thing. My Corolla is a 2010.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:19 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The only way that we found it to be affordable was by buying a used mobile home in a senior park. We looked at many, many senior parks in both Daytona Beach and St Pete (and ended up buying a mobile home and living in both of those Florida cities). For $10,000 to $15,000 you can get a very nice home, and the lot rentals are very reasonable. Not so in California, of course.

I know, hurricanes, right? What convinced us to buy was: while going through the parks, some of those mobile homes looked like they were 50 years old! So they had weathered storms for half a century. However, climate change is real, so when we owned a condo in Galveston and saw 8 hurricanes form in the Gulf in one year we sold our condo and moved to a Las Cruces, NM senior park. Not 2 months after we moved a huge hurricane tore through Galveston and decimated a lot of the island. People had to leave before it hit under mandatory evacuation orders, and weren't able to return for around 6 weeks.

So there's affordable, and then there's safe. If I were moving to a Southern coastal town I would rent and let the owner deal w/ all of that.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:29 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

So what? There are people who express themselves through what they drive. They might dress in 10 year old fashion and subsist on Ramen just to afford that new BMW for all you know. They just prioritize how they spend their money in a different way. Another person may dress to the nines, travel and dine out a lot but be perfectly content driving a 15 year old pickup.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2024 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 02:52 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:

Military doctors, between salary, retention bonuses, cost of living allowance, housing allowance, subsistence and other incentives, depending on rank, can make well over 200k a year, much of that is tax free.

A Captain, over 6, base pay alone is about 7k per month, plus a lot of what I listed above. Generally, Military Officers do quite well in compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement