Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 05:48 PM

848 posts, read 469,805 times

Advertisements

I signed up at 70 and was still working for another 6 months so could double-dip for a little while. Definitely glad I waited till 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 10:57 AM

841 posts, read 1,123,201 times
I signed up for social security at age 67.

Years ago I was thinking that I would retire and collect SS at 70. I did not know how much I would have to live off of each month so waiting until 70 sounded like a good idea.

I started rethinking that about 1 1/2 years before I did retire. I was not very happy in my job because I was having to perform duties that the woman I worked with did not want to do. The bosses knew that. So my resentment was growing because I cared about the quality of the work and the other person did not.

Most years my raises were about $80 a month before taxes. I began to feel like they were taking advantage of me because of my years of experience working there which was not reflected in my raises. Then, they gave me a huge raise. I was angry because they could have done this before. I found out that the bosses were worried I was going to retire because I was close to full retirement age.

Four months into retirement, I don't regret leaving. I am happy and I don't miss the job. One other factor, was both my parents died in their 80's. So, maybe I have 20-25 years to live. I didn't want to look back and regret working until 70 when I was so unhappy.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:04 PM

7,669 posts, read 3,295,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I signed up for social security at age 67.

Years ago I was thinking that I would retire and collect SS at 70. I did not know how much I would have to live off of each month so waiting until 70 sounded like a good idea.

I started rethinking that about 1 1/2 years before I did retire. I was not very happy in my job because I was having to perform duties that the woman I worked with did not want to do. The bosses knew that. So my resentment was growing because I cared about the quality of the work and the other person did not.

Most years my raises were about $80 a month before taxes. I began to feel like they were taking advantage of me because of my years of experience working there which was not reflected in my raises. Then, they gave me a huge raise. I was angry because they could have done this before. I found out that the bosses were worried I was going to retire because I was close to full retirement age.

Four months into retirement, I don't regret leaving. I am happy and I don't miss the job. One other factor, was both my parents died in their 80's. So, maybe I have 20-25 years to live. I didn't want to look back and regret working until 70 when I was so unhappy.

I can see your point. The closer you get you become like a horse that knows when we turn around we are headed back to the stables. You can slowly and gently allow the truth of your situation to seep into the front of your mind (instead of blocking it out -- LOL).

Old 04-28-2024, 08:09 PM

7,669 posts, read 3,295,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I just started my SS benefits in February at age 69 + 1 month. The first direct deposit hit my account on March 10, about $4530 (before medicare deduction). That adds up to about $54K per year. I was one of those who also planned to wait until age 70, as I have a good monthly corporate pension that's enough to pay most monthly expenses. However, after the large SS COLAs in the past few years, it was too much money to leave on the table to delay my SS start date any longer. There was almost no scenario where it would ever have been to my advantage to wait an extra year to age 70.
Any time FRA or > is good enough imho. But, we do get COLA's baked in starting at ag 62 whether we claim or not.

-COLAs adjust your primary insurance amount (PIA) each year after you turn 62, even if you haven't started receiving benefits.

I was not 62 when they made a couple of big adjustments

Old 04-30-2024, 08:13 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,085,939 times
Actually, no, your PIA is fixed at 62 unless you keep working and that will recalculates it. COLA’s are of course not lost and are cumulative, but are figured on your PIA, so your FRA amount does change each year. It is really just semantics for the person receiving benefits, but for figuring the spousal adder benefit, it DOES make a difference, as the spouses and filers PIA are what is used to calculate the difference. If the PIA increased with just COLAs, then that larger number could qualify the spouse for an adder. With a locked PIA, it is less likely to get an adder. I just went through this with SSA.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:02 AM

848 posts, read 469,805 times
To the OP's question..
We had the same scenario and DW got her spousal benefit automatically once I started getting SS. They (SS) sent her a letter explaining how much, why, and when, but I got an email the other day saying they will not mail your "statement" going forward so I don't know if that includes this circumstance or not.

When my benefit was adjusted upward a few months later they automatically adjusted hers as well.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,413,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I just started my SS benefits in February at age 69 + 1 month. The first direct deposit hit my account on March 10, about $4530 (before medicare deduction). That adds up to about $54K per year. I was one of those who also planned to wait until age 70, as I have a good monthly corporate pension that's enough to pay most monthly expenses. However, after the large SS COLAs in the past few years, it was too much money to leave on the table to delay my SS start date any longer. There was almost no scenario where it would ever have been to my advantage to wait an extra year to age 70.
I really don't understand the problem of leaving money on the table if you have more than enough to live on now, and the delay in taking Soc Security will mean more monthly income in the future. To me, the future is unwritten, and since I am perfectly fine right now on my own resources, I don't see why I wouldn't leave a larger Soc Security income for the future. I am 64 now, and I would take Soc Security earlier than 70 only if I got diagnosed with something rapidly deadly; I can't think of any other reason for me to take it earlier.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,681,108 times
Took it at age 70. Locked in the highest possible payout for myself, and for my spouse if I die first. Did not have to tap into investments in any manner while I waited. My wife kept working and if fact is till working. Can't get her to quit.

What's my breakeven point? I have zero idea. And I don't care. I haven't spent one second worrying about breakeven. And I smile every time the SS payment hits the credit union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement