Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 09:59 AM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Maybe start off with Yoga first and then move to Pilates.
Weight lifting will help you build strength.
Well, I already do the weight machine things on the 30-minute circuit at Planet Fatness. I was looking for something to do at home (yes, I have some dumbbells for the arms) because a) since I split my time between two places again, I can't always be there, and b) I get really tired of the people at the gym who go into the circuit area and don't do the circuit but plant their asses on a machine for 20 minutes instead of using the other machines available in the rest of the gym. Or worse, the ones who plant their asses on the machines and then spend the time texting their friends or whatever. Why are they even there?

Anyway. I always heard Pilates was good for the core strength in particular, so that's why I was curious. I always assumed it was something given in class format.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:26 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
DEFINITELY NOT think of the bolded. I never even heard of such a thing!
When people are impressed that I do Pilates, I think they think I am doing aerial silks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:37 PM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When people are impressed that I do Pilates, I think they think I am doing aerial silks!
Guess i have to look up "aerial silks"...

Ok, just did. Double U Tee Eff?????

Old 03-05-2024, 01:51 PM

^^^^
Not sure what you refer to but I've seen people do Pilates-like moves in the silks. Takes grace and strength. Not my speed!

Old 03-05-2024, 01:55 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,062,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a personal 1:1 instructor, it's not a class. You might be thinking of aerial silks, which is the hanging from the ceiling, etc.
I told the I had to go very slowly, that I'm old and stiff. The initial instructor was just too fast so she handed me off to one who is closer to my age and I do take rests. It certainly builds strength, especially in the core and helps with limberness. If a movement hurts, it's canceled. I am the oldest student there but am making progress. The strengthening helps with balance, too.
I go twice a week to the studio for $560/mnth. I am starting this week with mat (not studio) work at home, which is new for me.
I recommend The Pilates Body book, It's the gold standard and will give you a sense of the vocabulary and goals.
Wow, that's expensive! Most yoga studios offer a Pilates class at a much lower cost.

I occasionally attend a Pilates class at my yoga studio where the regulars are mostly older. It's a little too easy for me to feel that I'm getting much out of it.

I attended a regular Pilates class where we lived before and some of the movements hurt my neck.

I've attended several yoga classes a week for over 14 years. Yoga builds flexibility, core strength and balance which is what I need at my age.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Wow, that's expensive! Most yoga studios offer a Pilates class at a much lower cost.

I live in an expensive area and have two private classes a week. Yoga classes elsewhere would be cheaper, I'm sure, and not private instruction. The occasional mat Pilates class is cheaper.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:01 PM

17,540 posts, read 16,699,705 times
I have too many old injuries in my feet to comfortably do many of the Pilates poses. I could do them modified on my knees I guess but that just doesn't seem the same.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:11 PM

It's a rule in Pilatees if something hurts, don't do it. I have arthritis in one foot and the movements are modified for me.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:39 PM

43,453 posts, read 18,551,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I already do the weight machine things on the 30-minute circuit at Planet Fatness. I was looking for something to do at home (yes, I have some dumbbells for the arms) because a) since I split my time between two places again, I can't always be there, and b) I get really tired of the people at the gym who go into the circuit area and don't do the circuit but plant their asses on a machine for 20 minutes instead of using the other machines available in the rest of the gym. Or worse, the ones who plant their asses on the machines and then spend the time texting their friends or whatever. Why are they even there?

Anyway. I always heard Pilates was good for the core strength in particular, so that's why I was curious. I always assumed it was something given in class format.
Here's some Pilates stuff on YouTube. I only do the Pilates 100 so can't give you any info.
https://www.thoughtleaders.io/blog/b...utube-channels

For yoga I subscribe to Yoga with Adrienne. She does Hatha yoga and her last 30 day challenge got into some Vinyasa yoga (that's yoga with movement to your breath).
https://www.youtube.com/@yogawithadriene

And if you have dumbbells at home then there's Bowflex YouTube with exercises.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:51 PM

Mat Pilates is given in a class format. The Pilates with the Reformer machinery is what's expensive. My studio had two small rooms with two reformers/towers in each. The machinery is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement