Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 11:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

I don't often create threads here, but I'm tired of reading all the negative and depressing threads that have been posted lately, such as shopping for cemetery plots, being concerned with vision problems, the "joys" of growing older, the stigma of being "a useless old guy", not being invited to one's high school reunion, being bored in retirement, what would you miss if you were about to die, how to divvy up your money once you're dead, etc., etc. etc....

So, since today is the 14th anniversary of the day I retired, I created this thread to wish myself a happy anniversary and to celebrate how wonderful retirement is and has been for my wife and myself. I took early retirement at the age of 54 so that my wife and I could travel the world extensively while still relatively young. And 14 years later, we're still enjoying doing so, with several international trips taken every year (except during the Covid years). In fact, it's rare that we're home for more than a week or two at a time these days without at least a weekend trip somewhere.

And speaking of home, we've also relocated several times. We moved from Washington, D.C. to Las Vegas on the day I retired; stayed there for three years before moving to an oceanfront condo on Miami Beach for another three-year period; then a short relocation across Biscayne Bay to a sfh in the City of Miami for six years; before moving two years ago to a lakefront home on an island near Savannah's historic district. And we'll no doubt move again in the relatively near future; perhaps even across the Atlantic. So, when you're planning on where to live in retirement, don't think of it as a one-time only opportunity to decide where to live for the rest of your life; you can always just pack up and relocate again and again if you want. We've made new friends and formed new bonds everywhere we've lived. We have social events to attend every week when we're home, and my wife is currently training to be a docent at one of the local museum houses. It is a joy just waking up each day and having the freedom to do what we want, when we want, and where we want.

I'm sure that some will see this thread as nothing but me being a braggart. So be it. But for others, this can serve as a positive example of how wonderful retirement can be, or at least serve as a respite between all of the depressing topics usually found here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 11:19 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Maybe there should be a sub forum for "aging" as retirement is such a good thing for so many of us!

Old 03-03-2024, 12:04 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
I told my wife recently that it seems like so many people who post here are unhappy with their lives and sometimes can't understand those of us who are retired and are content with our lives. Kind of reminds me of my late mother's incessant negativity (my sister and I always swore that we must have been adopted).

Old 03-03-2024, 12:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I told my wife recently that it seems like so many people who post here are unhappy with their lives and sometimes can't understand those of us who are retired and are content with our lives. Kind of reminds me of my late mother's incessant negativity (my sister and I always swore that we must have been adopted).
To be fair, it seems to be the same 3-4 perpetually negative people, filter them out and this forum has been pretty useful!

Congrats MMB!

Old 03-03-2024, 12:11 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Happy 14th Anniversary!! It's wonderful that you and your wife were able to retire while you were still young enough to thoroughly enjoy it. And you've been on an adventure ever since. That's the way to do it!!

Congratulations! Your hard work has really paid off.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:17 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
happy 14th

Old 03-03-2024, 12:59 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Happy 14th!! That's what I call retirement. Wishing many more years of whatever you want to do each day
for you and your wife.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
MadMan, you are an inspiration! Happy 14th and many, many more.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:55 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Happy retirement anniversary to you! Your level-headedness comes through in your post. Thanks for that. And, all the best with your move across the Atlantic. Do share your thoughts and learnings from that - as it is one of the options for us, though not at the top-of-the list for now.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:57 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Happy anniversary to us both. Since I retired 8 years ago this month as well. I am celebrating that by taking a trip to S Korea to attend the wedding of a nephew that spent a lot of time living in my house while he went to school here. It should be a great time. Our daughter and her husband will join us there as well. Even MIL at age 91 is on board the flight. It should be a very memorable one I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement