Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 03:54 PM

25 posts, read 9,164 times

Advertisements

I'm a 47 year old guy, and I don't have a wife or any kids. I also have autism, along with severe social anxiety & panic attacks. So as you can imagine, I have struggled with every job and every relationship that I have ever had. I've probably had about 50 jobs in my lifetime and I have absolutely hated every single one of them. I'm just not very good at anything, and I don't really have any interests, so I'm sort of a hermit who spends a lot of time at home as a couch potato.

But anyway, my mom just passed away recently and I received an inheritance of over $1.2 million. I usually only spend about $20k per year, so hopefully this inheritance will last me the rest of my life, assuming that I invest it well and spend it carefully. As soon as I received it, I quit my job and basically went into early retirement.

But now I am really bored. I've been spending way too much time just sitting around the house, drinking beer, watching TV, and going on the internet. I can't imagine just sitting around the house like this for another 30 or 40 years until I die.

So now I'm having to come up with a whole new plan for my life. What am I going to do for fun? What is my purpose in life? How can I stay active? How can I contribute to society? And so on. I didn't think that I would have to worry about this stuff until I retired at age 65, but I had no idea that this was going to happen to me at age 47.

The only times that I ever leave my house is when I occasionally play basketball at the gym, ride my bike in the park, walk around the mall, go to church, watch movies, or go out to eat. And I sometimes like to travel. But other than that, I probably spend the vast majority of my day sitting around the house doing nothing. Everyone is telling me that I should go back to work, but I just can't imagine forcing myself to go to another dead end job that I hate, especially knowing that I don't need the money anymore.

So does anybody have any advice for me? I have no idea what I should start doing with my life. What is a single guy with autism supposed to do with all of his time when he goes into early retirement?

Old 02-29-2024, 04:17 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Find someplace you would enjoy volunteering!

Old 02-29-2024, 04:24 PM

24,506 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Invest it well! Take care of your body - gym, ... . Take care of your mind - develop a hobby. I found myself retired. Bread baking is my outlet and everyone loves the results. Volunteer at church. Garden - check your County Extension Office for Master Gardener classes. Generally top presenters and an overload of interesting information.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:47 PM

206 posts, read 134,957 times
I think we just went through all this on your last thread (with plenty of excellent and well thought out advice).
  • Investing
  • Jobs
  • volunteering
  • future

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...nvestment.html

Quote:
I'm a 47 year old single guy with no children. My mom just passed away on Christmas Eve, and now I am inheriting about $850,000. When her house sells I will probably receive another $50,000. Right now I'm completely debt free, my house is paid off, and I currently have about $75,000 saved up. So all together I should end up with a grand total of about $975,000.

So now I need to figure out what I should do next. I'm praying that it's enough for me to quit my dead end job, which I absolutely hate, and go into retirement at age 47.
Been retired since your age, (with little money) Have not run out of very creative, fun, rewarding, beneficial things to do, yet (20 yrs later)

Old 02-29-2024, 05:35 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
? Have you considered support group for people with autism ? People who can relate to you, encourage each other, Share this experiences, not advise ?

For myself, belong to a couple of groups, we share our experience, strength and hope. Special.friendships are formed. We.accept each other as we.are, no advise given.

Please consider, you may need them as they need you.

Best.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:00 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
find someone to share your life with. Someone that you can have kids with - that will really keep you occupied!

Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,165,173 times
You should spend your time learning about financial markets and your investments since you indicated that you are a new investor with limited knowledge.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...l#post66411013

Go back to school.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
? Have you considered support group for people with autism ? People who can relate to you, encourage each other, Share this experiences, not advise ?

For myself, belong to a couple of groups, we share our experience, strength and hope. Special.friendships are formed. We.accept each other as we.are, no advise given.

Please consider, you may need them as they need you.

Best.
This might actually be a really great idea if i can find the right group. But my autism isn't always noticeable to people who are meeting me for the first time, so I'm a little worried that I might join a group that is intended for people who are more severe than I am. If that happens then I could end up feeling really awkward and out of place.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
find someone to share your life with. Someone that you can have kids with - that will really keep you occupied!
That sounds great but every relationship that I've ever been in has been a total disaster. I just don't think that I'm wired to be in any relationships. My poor social skills, awkwardness, and social anxiety cause way too many problems when I try to date anyone. So I'm much more comfortable being single.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:41 PM

24,506 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic76 View Post
That sounds great but every relationship that I've ever been in has been a total disaster. I just don't think that I'm wired to be in any relationships. My poor social skills, awkwardness, and social anxiety cause way too many problems when I try to date anyone. So I'm much more comfortable being single.
Get out of your comfortable comfort zone. Looking at 40 plus years of single life should be a motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement