Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 03:13 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had to chuckle at that 509, for me it was back at ages 17-19, then I met my wife and gave it up. Today I have Stage 3 Kidney disease so can only take Tylenol for pain, and of course, at 71 I have pain somewhere most days.
Why do you say "of course" you have pain at 71 on most days? I am sorry that you do, but just for those who might be reading this who are still in their 50's, this is not true for everyone!

Again, I am sincerely sorry for you and for all those who do experience some kind of pain every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 03:24 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Pain management is a worry now for me, as I seem to be resistant to opioids and morphine.
I had serious shoulder surgery years ago, and they tried three different opioids on me and they only made me feel really sick and barely eased the pain.

Then another time I was in a car accident and broke bones and they gave me morphine in the hospital and NADA — doctor was shocked. Finally a STRONG IV anti inflammatory drug did help.
But it made me lose faith that they can keep you out of pain when serious aging problems happen.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:55 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When I was 20 I wanted to smoke marijuana without fear of getting arrested. I had no need for pain-killers.

Now that I am 70 I can smoke all the marijuana I want without fear of getting arrested thanks to my government. But it lost it attraction due to wine.

I cannot however, get pain-killers for my pain.!!!
"due to wine" I'm right with you 509!

Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Why do you say "of course" you have pain at 71 on most days? I am sorry that you do, but just for those who might be reading this who are still in their 50's, this is not true for everyone!
Early 50s here, and yes, I have moderate-intensity pain almost daily. Back-pain. Joints. Ligaments. It's a consequence of decades of aggressive weightlifting, sometimes with poor form. Can't be helped. Neither chemicals nor public-policies will affect it.

More broadly, it has been my experience, that neither wise laws, nor foolish ones, have much effect on daily life. Instead what matters is local, situational things.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:27 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Have you tried the following over the counter combo?

When my wife told me about this it was hard to believe. But, lo and behold, Google search confirms it.
I wouldn't know personally. No pain here at 65 years old. (yet)

"..Essentially everyone believes that opioids are powerful pain relievers. However, recent studies have shown that taking acetaminophen and ibuprofen together is actually more effective in treating pain..."

https://www.floridahealth.gov/statis...edications.pdf

Old 02-22-2024, 06:39 PM

512 posts, read 268,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

When my wife told me about this it was hard to believe. But, lo and behold, Google search confirms it.

"..Essentially everyone believes that opioids are powerful pain relievers. However, recent studies have shown that taking acetaminophen and ibuprofen together is actually more effective in treating pain..."

Good for you, no pain at 65. Please do keep it up. Here pain-free and medication-free at 76.

But thanks for the tip on combining acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I understand you can take them together, or alternate between them. That they work differently in the body with no apparent downside.

Regarding "government" and painkillers. Seems like it is the physicians who are the problem, who are now afraid of liability if they over-prescribe opiods. Last time I took something "serious" was during the war ( Vietnam ), when they gave me morphine. Found myself on the ceiling looking down at myself on the hospital bed. That sort of leaves an impression. No more of that stuff for me.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:37 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

I've known that for years. It sometimes works. If it doesn't, you can throw some aspirin at it. After that, you're in trouble.

After an invasive dental procedure years ago, I started with naproxen. It was the care provider's first choice. That didn't do it, so I took acetaminophen. Then ibuprofen. The pain was getting worse. I had some extra strength arthritis formula aspirin. After downing a shot of scotch, I called my dentist, not the one who had done the work. She said, "Do. not. take. anything. else!" After doing some research and talking to a pharmacist she proscribed codeine. She explained that while it might help with the pain, it would mostly knock me out while everything else in my system caught up. I felt great the next day.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When I was 20 I wanted to smoke marijuana without fear of getting arrested. I had no need for pain-killers.

Now that I am 70 I can smoke all the marijuana I want without fear of getting arrested thanks to my government. But it lost it attraction due to wine.

I cannot however, get pain-killers for my pain.!!!

I just bought my first weed edibles last week, although I waited a while in order to buy it at a legal & licensed store & not the "pirate" shops sprouting up all over around here. Who knows what the sourcing is for the illegal stores edibles, etc.... could have some opioid added somewhere along a shadowy supply line.

But I agree that wine, and a weekly couple of G&Ts does me pretty alright, the edibles are still sitting on a pantry shelf waiting.

I'm lucky in that I'm pain-free so far, as long as I watch my diet/liquor intake & don't get the crippling gout I had in my 50's. But I do feel my right knee starting to wear out now on my long walks so that may be painful soon (my MD says keep walking then but take a NSAID for the pain).

Old 02-23-2024, 09:53 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
Not true! There are very few doctors who will give you opioid pills anymore. Government cut that off (pretty much) after the opioid crisis. I can get Tramadol because a vertebra was destroyed in my back in an accident. The surgeon couldn't fix it, so he referred me to a pain clinic for severe pain. Had two RFA treatments so far. The pills do NOT take away pain entirely but they help some, so I don't have to kill myself. But normally doctors no longer prescribe any opioid pain pills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I suggest you don't try to get pain killers from any establishment doctor, they will only give you opiods, which do a lot less for the pain and take away your cognition if used long term. Wine also does the same, if used to excess. Why doesn't marijuana help relieve your pain now?

Old 02-26-2024, 12:49 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Not true! There are very few doctors who will give you opioid pills anymore. Government cut that off (pretty much) after the opioid crisis. I can get Tramadol because a vertebra was destroyed in my back in an accident. The surgeon couldn't fix it, so he referred me to a pain clinic for severe pain. Had two RFA treatments so far. The pills do NOT take away pain entirely but they help some, so I don't have to kill myself. But normally doctors no longer prescribe any opioid pain pills.

I agree, doctors don't want to prescribe, especially in NJ. I know many people who have been kicked out of pain management because of the meds they were on were more then the doctor wants to prescribe in the last two or three years. Some have been switched to a med for drug addicts. The only opioid they want to prescribe is a ten MG oxycodone. You're lucky if you can get three pills a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement