Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When you go to national parks you hike and look at all the beautiful natural wonders. I can’t imagine not enjoying them.
DW and I must love them. I believe we've been to every national park in the western United States as well as the Smoky Mountains, Shenandoah, Acadia, and the Everglades in the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 02:24 AM

816 posts, read 445,536 times
I liked the article.

It basically says be wise, make sure you set your expectations to line up with your funding, and enjoy your life.

I have done this, I'm just a short 5 years from SS FRA and have saved enough that when 67 hits I am set. I will probably go 3-4 day weeks before then. But as many who know me are aware, I love my career and will probably work part time as I age.

I also believe in giving back. My retirement will not be jet setting, although my wife and I will enjoy our occasional trips like we do now.

I will and plan to work with Habitat for Humanity, Tunnel to Towers, Wounded Warrior and others like that. I look forward to it.

Life is great. Plan accordingly, stay in the best health possible, and retirement can be even better.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:56 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Many of the national parks have become so overcrowded in recent years as to not be that enjoyable IMO.

I was in Acadia back in June 2019. It was absolutely wonderful - busy, but not bumper to bumper by any means. I've been to Biscayne, Indiana Dunes, Shenandoah, Everglades, and the Smokes that I can recall.

The Smokies is by far the worst. Between the traffic in the park and the traffic in the tourist trap hell of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, it sucks most of the year. The only way I go in is 441 from the NC side.

With all the similar looking areas around here, there's no reason for a local to go to the GSMNP.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:14 AM

309 posts, read 195,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't agree with the article.

National Parks have no appeal to me. What do you do? Sit and look at things.

When I traveled, I wanted fine hotels, good food, and museums.
Exactly. In the next ten minutes I can view natural wonders on every continent via the internet. They're not going to look any different when you're standing in front of them.

I'd much rather do the other things that you've listed, as well.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:49 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Exactly. In the next ten minutes I can view natural wonders on every continent via the internet. They're not going to look any different when you're standing in front of them.

I'd much rather do the other things that you've listed, as well.
I'd have to disagree, IMO there's something about the up close and personal about the beauty of nature, and natural wonders of the world, actually being there surrounded by all this, that just looking at pictures, or even videos on a wide screen TV doesn't come close to capturing. I've done both. Though these days, the hassles of getting to these destinations, plus the crowds you can encounter getting to and at those destinations, can put a damper on those first hand experiences. I'm sure that'smy old age speaking, crowds bother me a whole lot more than they did when I was younger.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:56 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many of the national parks have become so overcrowded in recent years as to not be that enjoyable IMO.

I was in Acadia back in June 2019. It was absolutely wonderful - busy, but not bumper to bumper by any means. I've been to Biscayne, Indiana Dunes, Shenandoah, Everglades, and the Smokes that I can recall.

The Smokies is by far the worst. Between the traffic in the park and the traffic in the tourist trap hell of Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, it sucks most of the year. The only way I go in is 441 from the NC side.

With all the similar looking areas around here, there's no reason for a local to go to the GSMNP.
I think those more well known "Tourist Traps" such as Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, have drawn more crowds than other less well known destinations ( or just surrounding areas) in the Smokies for eons now. When we used to take our trips and spend vacations in the Smokies we always headed to less well known, and more remote locations. We always avoided those tourist traps, and never missed them. I've never been to either Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:59 AM

256 posts, read 115,262 times
Quote:
When I traveled, I wanted fine hotels.....
Yeah, it’s fun getting room service. I just love eating a $36 burger at a desk in front of a mirror.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:07 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Excellent article. Of course, excrement happens sometimes -- forced early retirement, health problems, etc. -- but, overall, very wise words.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:17 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Travel does not entice me at all, what does entice me is staying at home keeping myself busy with projects and hobbies. I am getting on a plane today and have been stressing for the past week. Im all for road trips but want nothing to do with the stress and anxiety flying brings when that door closes on the casket (aka plane). I dont understand the allure of travel when I find my property to be my happy place.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:29 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the article.

National Parks have no appeal to me. What do you do? Sit and look at things.

When I traveled, I wanted fine hotels, good food, and museums.
You mean you prefer museums, where you STAND and look at things? Many National parks also encompass nice lodges (hotels) with good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement