Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 12:34 PM

7,744 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

In some sense, it would be appropriate for your friend to take out a large home equity line of credit on House A, and use the proceeds for daily expenses. Then, tell Child 1 "you can pay the HELOC. If you don't pay, the bank will take the house and you'll inherit nothing. Your choice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 03:17 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Child 2, although learning disabled, has a steady job and can afford to pay the mortgage on House B and IS now paying it.

Child 1 can also well afford to pay for House 1 by getting his own mortgage or paying my friend monthly (although I wouldn't want to have to nag them for it every month only to likely not get it, which she probably would).

Rather than let my friend collect illicit Medicaid money and possibly go to jail for it, yes, I would call the hotline as soon as she applied and just point out that this applicant owns a second house, explaining that she doesn't seem to understand that she has to claim both. Medicaid would then explain to her that she needs to either move into it or sell it to qualify.
Maybe I'm missing something here but why would your friend be applying for Medicaid at this time? I understand the husband was ill and needed a SNF but presumably your friend is otherwise healthy. Someday she might need nursing care. Certainly probate needs to be completed, her finances/living situation need straightened out and she needs a will. Those are separate issues.

Thinking about her future care needs and those of her disabled son is wise. Since he's disabled, the son may also be allowed to inherit, certainly live in House 2 during her lifetime even if mom ends up the owner, and House 2 won't disqualify her for Medicaid? (I did a quick google: depending on state law the house may have to be transferred to him for ownership again without leading to a 5-year look-back.)

As for House 1, frankly I don't think her chances of seeing her grandchildren are good once she's in a SNF. At this point, it would be elder abuse if she needed outside nursing care and the son was refusing to vacate the property. The question then would be who forces the son out of that house to convert it into income to pay for her first year(s) in a SNF, eventually switching over to Medicaid once the House 1 funds are exhausted.

ETA - Unless her goal is to force Child 1 out (which doesn't appear to be the case), I don't see how it benefits her to move someplace she's not welcome when she and Child 2 are content in House 2. It is to Child 1's benefit that his mother remain healthy and outside a nursing home not needing Medicaid. Each year he keeps getting free rent and has a hope of someday inheriting the house. Perhaps if that's explained to him, he'll help keep her healthy and happy with some additional income, without the grandchildren being dragged into this as a bargaining chip.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-09-2024 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-09-2024, 03:44 PM

207 posts, read 118,865 times
Sorry if this has already been stated-I did not read the entire thread.

Your friend needs to live in the house that she legally owns in order to be Medicaid eligible in some states. The house legally owned needs to be her permanent residence. Assuming she is 65 or older? Other states have eliminated the asset test for 65+ but I'm not sure if there is a carve out for houses that are owned but not the permanent residence. There are a lot of federal regs around that.

Whether or not she will do this is her decision. That's the only advice I would give to someone in this situation. It's her life and how she decides to live it is her decision.
Then I would politely change the subject every time she complained about her situation-if she did nothing to change it!

Old 02-09-2024, 05:47 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
But the bold is not true, is it? They did indeed have assets: House A, for starters, plus House B.

What is the fair market value of House A? What is the fair market rental rate of House A?
In general, Medicaid won't seize a house, but owning a house can keep the applicant from qualifying for Medicaid in certain circumstances.

But Child 1 has not inherited House A, has he? Your friend isn't dead yet. Who owns your friend's dead husband's interest in the house? Did it pass to your friend such that your friend owns 100% of the house?

I assume your friend owns House A by herself (no one else has an interest). The house is a rental - she is renting it out to Child 1 for $0 per month, which is far less than the fair market rental value.

From an economic perspective, your friend has imputed rent on House A, and that imputed rent, if collected as cash, would likely disqualify her from Medicaid. Remember, being on Medicaid is being on the Public Dole and is reserved for the indigent, and in fact your friend is not indigent. It is the same as your friend making a gift to Child 1 in the amount of the fair market rent that she is forgiving.

From a moral perspective, why should Medicaid kick in when your friend is voluntarily gifting Child 1 $XXX per month in the form of forgiven rent? Let's say the fair market rental is, just to pick a number, $3,000 per month. That's $36,000 per year your friend is gifting Child 1. If the fair market rental is $4,000 per month, that's $48,000 per year your friend is gifting Child 1.

Moreover, that's $36,000 or $48,000 per year, in my hypothetical, that your friend should collect as rent and file a Federal Income Tax return showing that income, and possibly a State Income Tax return as well.

Morally, why should Medicaid pay for your friend's health care when she has that much money that could be applied to health insurance?

That seems to be irrelevant to the question of your friend, rental income from House A, and Medicaid.

But the husband is dead. That asset, House B, should have been distributed according to the Husband's Will. It belongs to someone who is alive (or perhaps to a trust, if there was one - but it seems unlikely).

Did your friend or her husband establish a "Disability Trust" for the benefit of disabled Child B (I think you were using numbering, so Child 2)?

But today, who owns House B? The dead husband doesn't own it any more. Someone owns it. Perhaps your friend, as the surviving spouse, owns it. Perhaps not. Only about a third of all states have laws specifying that assets owned by the deceased are automatically inherited by the surviving spouse. In the remaining states, the surviving spouse may inherit between one-third and one-half of the assets, with the remainder divided among surviving children, if applicable.

What did the Will state? Or did the husband die without a will? SOMEONE owns each house. It seems most likely your friend owns 100% of House A, and possibly 100% of House B.

Yikes What a mess.

Child 2 appears to be paying the mortgage on a house he does not own. That is a gift to the mother, and there are economic and (potentially) tax consequences of a material gift.

BUT WHO OWNS HOUSE B????

Since your friend owns House A free and clear, she could hypothetically go live in House A. After all, she owns it, right? She could, if she chose, allow Child 1 to share the house. She should claim the Master Bedroom. She could allow Child 1 and grandkids to live in the guest bedroom(s). And Child 1 could be charged rent, which could fund her medical insurance. Or Child 1 could move out altogether and stand on his own two feet.

But Child 2 is NOT paying for "his house" because Child 2 doesn't own House B, does he? Or does he??? The deceased husband used to own 100% of House B, but ownership passed to SOMEONE when he died. To whom? As mentioned above, it might vary by state if there was no will.

Let's say your House B is 100% owned by your friend (quite possible depending on the state). In that scenario, Child 2 is paying the mortgage on a house he does not own. That is a GIFT to his mother (your friend). Have gift tax forms been filed with the IRS?

Economic life is about choices. Of course Child 1, from a purely economic perspective, likes the status quo: free rent and then some.

But the Public should not assist via placing your friend - the owner - on Medicaid (The Public Dole) simply because Child 1 finds it inconvenient to alter his lifestyle. Your friend has valuable assets (100% of House A and possibly 100% of House B) and, as a landlord, has rental income she should be collecting but instead is forgiving.

What evidence there is an implicit threat of cutting off contact? Has Child 1 or Child 1's spouses said anything? Or is it just a general fear without data?

What a mess.

No, Child 1 might inherit his mother's (your friend's) house. Your friend might, for example, write a will leaving House A to you, otterhere. Or to the American Cancer Society. Or - stay with me here - your friend could place House A into a trust for the benefit of disabled Child 2. If she were to do so, the income from that trust could help fund disabled Child 2's life.

BUT -- who actually owns House B today??? Does your friend own it?

Under the scenario where your friend actually owns House B today, your friend can leave House B to disabled Child 2, who then would be responsible for paying the mortgage holder. Yes, there is a mortgage, but that's a different issue from ownership.

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. There's an old saying, a fair is a place where farmers and ranchers showcase their prized pumpkins and livestock.

Nor should she. She appears to own House A free and clear. She probably owns 100% of House B, even though it has a mortgage -- and she should be collecting rent on both House A and House B.

I think you are making a wise decision. Good for you.

My view is she should do her best to provide for disabled Child 2. There are things called disability trusts aka special needs trusts. With the run up in real estate prices, it is possible House A, which she owns free and clear, could easily be worth a half million dollars or more. Between House A and House B, your friend could be a millionaire. Put into a disability trust for the benefit of disabled Child 2, the income from that could help Child 2's life.

But of course, I don't get a vote.

There's an old joke:
"How many psychiatrists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Just one, but the light bulb has to be willing to change.".
It sounds like your friend doesn't want to change. Not much you can do.

But The taxpaying public should NOT fund Medicaid for her because she has significant assets.

My question now is: is this reportable elder abuse on the part of Child 1 over House A? And can you see me trying to explain this on some whistleblower hotline???
[/quote]

One clue to actually owns house one and two would be to look at the property tax records. In my State anyone can pull them up by address and see who owns them and if they have paid their property taxes and how much they are. I suspect mom owns both.

Otter could look into that just to have a better handle on the scenario. Otherwise, I believe there are other online services you can pay to get the information.

Putting her head in the sand about Medicaid not having access into the same information is not going to change the outcome for the friend (or who knows if she is just storytelling to Otter for small favors).

From what is described I doubt $48k rent (maybe $24k). Same concept though. If I rent a house from my family and they charge me $0 then I need to pay income taxes for having received the fair market value rent each month I live there. If rent would be $3k per month then I need to report $36k in income (Child 1). So, there's a form you could turn into the IRS to get that kid paying taxes on that (though they may prioritize it based on bigger fish to fry). They see some guy with no ability to pay the tax and 5 dependents it might have a long wait to get looked at when they have gazillions of dollars in fraud. The annual gift exclusion is up to $18k per year now, so , there's that.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
By "no assets," I meant no money. Of course I do understand that a house, much less TWO houses, is an asset.

Is Child 2 "disabled" if he's able to work a full-time job? He has learning disabilities which limit him, but doesn't being gainfully employed make him technically not legally disabled?

I'm not sure to what the "storytelling to Otter" might refer; as far as I know, the facts as I've presented them are true and accurate.

I'm in full agreement that my friend should not be awarded Medicaid (nor should her husband have been) when they own one, if not two, houses.

My only question is what can and should I do about this "mess" if anything?

Old 02-11-2024, 08:34 PM

"storytelling to Otter" means anything that your friend may have omitted or exaggerated.

I have a couple of friends that use illegal substances (illegal at the federal level). I voted against this. I do not think it has done them any favors. However, I cannot live my friends lives anymore than they can live mine. I never encourage them towards using illegal drugs and I never get drawn into it. They know me as a heavy coffee drinker so whatever they serve I always have coffee.

If you distance yourself with people that you have some areas of disagreement you may end up with no friends.

I do not run to the authorities on my friends. But, I do not participate in things I do not agree with. I find areas of agreement (like gardening or auto shows, or food, etc.) and go with that.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
"storytelling to Otter" means anything that your friend may have omitted or exaggerated.

I have a couple of friends that use illegal substances (illegal at the federal level). I voted against this. I do not think it has done them any favors. However, I cannot live my friends lives anymore than they can live mine. I never encourage them towards using illegal drugs and I never get drawn into it. They know me as a heavy coffee drinker so whatever they serve I always have coffee.

If you distance yourself with people that you have some areas of disagreement you may end up with no friends.

I do not run to the authorities on my friends. But, I do not participate in things I do not agree with. I find areas of agreement (like gardening or auto shows, or food, etc.) and go with that.
Okay...still not sure how your comment relates to this situation. I've already explained why and under what circumstance I would "run to the law."

Old 02-11-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
By "no assets," I meant no money. Of course I do understand that a house, much less TWO houses, is an asset.

Is Child 2 "disabled" if he's able to work a full-time job? He has learning disabilities which limit him, but doesn't being gainfully employed make him technically not legally disabled?

I'm not sure to what the "storytelling to Otter" might refer; as far as I know, the facts as I've presented them are true and accurate.

I'm in full agreement that my friend should not be awarded Medicaid (nor should her husband have been) when they own one, if not two, houses.

My only question is what can and should I do about this "mess" if anything?
Quote:
Okay...still not sure how your comment relates to this situation. I've already explained why and under what circumstance I would "run to the law."
Because you just said "My only question is what can and should I do about this "mess" if anything. My illustration was to not interfere in others lives and maintain your own integrity at the same time.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:50 AM

Okay...so maybe the question would be "what should my friend do," only she won't do it.

And it would be for her own legal protection (and for the common taxpaying good, including myself) that I would blow the whistle. "All that is necessary for the progression of evil is for good men to do nothing," and this evil child inheriting $1M in houses would be progression!

I don't believe she actually understands the gravity of this whole thing.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In some sense, it would be appropriate for your friend to take out a large home equity line of credit on House A, and use the proceeds for daily expenses. Then, tell Child 1 "you can pay the HELOC. If you don't pay, the bank will take the house and you'll inherit nothing. Your choice."
I love that idea and will suggest it. Or get a reverse mortgage (although I think that takes money up front, which she doesn't have).

I looked up the owners again. Same as it was; nothing has changed. (Both own House A. Husband listed as sole owner of House B.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement