Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 11:33 AM

247 posts, read 178,084 times

Advertisements

We have a text group set-up for the family and text back and forth - messages, photos, videos.

For example, today we got pictures of our one-year old grandchild's new passport (and there were a lot of comments about the picture).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 12:21 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,156,539 times
Facebook messenger has a group call option, everyone on messenger ( in your group) can do a video call for free. I do it with my sisters who live overseas.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:05 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
WhatsApp video sounds interesting.

30 years ago, what became a dear friend, she had snitched her daughters chain letter (postcard). Our family moved, told someone I felt bad about not responding a year later.
"How would you feel if you heard from her?". So I wrote ! She had keep the letter she wrote, I had changed addresses And we've communicating ever since ! 1997, we began e-mail, letters, postcards of our travels, occasionally a phone call, so special !

This is to encourage anyone to communicate, by whatever way you can !
Whatsapp is the one I trying to think of in my previous post (second post in thread).

If someone on a dating site Wants to use that to communicate, I KNOW they are NOT in the US. Why/how? Because international use to them costs money..where as Whatsapp can be used anywhere for free.

That might be a better bet OP as you are out of the US right now.

Best

PS thank you Sera for the reminder!

Old 02-01-2024, 05:01 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
In 1995, we had a homecoming party, the first and last one we've ever had. The irascible neighbor of the "Get off my lawn!" type brought his wife to the soiree.

His hobby was sitting on a chair in his driveway all day, surveying the neighborhood and calling the police. But he was in his element during the party.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:20 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,946,500 times
Phone, Texts, and Video Chat are how we stay in contact with our two sons and their families. Long Island for the youngest, Chicago for the oldest, and us in Metro Detroit.

All of these can be done for free using a pocket sized computer called a Smart Phone. When tbe oldest lived on the Island of Saipan 15 years ago, we bought a golf ball sized USB camera for our desktop computer and conducted Video Chats with that - also for free other than purchasing the camera.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 02-01-2024 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 04:33 AM

16 posts, read 7,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
WhatsApp video sounds interesting.

30 years ago, what became a dear friend, she had snitched her daughters chain letter (postcard). Our family moved, told someone I felt bad about not responding a year later.
"How would you feel if you heard from her?". So I wrote ! She had keep the letter she wrote, I had changed addresses And we've communicating ever since ! 1997, we began e-mail, letters, postcards of our travels, occasionally a phone call, so special !

This is to encourage anyone to communicate, by whatever way you can !

Thank you everyone for all the great tips and inspiration. And I have to quote the sentence "communicate, by whatever way you can" -> fully agree. I love the creativity and ideas that you all brought up and I will definitely give the facebook page a try to. Up to now we in our family always only used WhatsApp, but if everyone wanted to write something, it sometimes got a little chaotic

I remember that my parents back then still had to use classic letters to write back and forth... Luckily we have more options today

Old 02-13-2024, 09:36 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,201,849 times
I use Botim for a family member in Dubai which is the only video app allowed in the UAE. Otherwise messenger, FB, and Instagram for the US.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:09 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry Davis View Post
My family is living spread all over the US. I currently work out of country (lucky IT job). My parents still live in their home town in the midwest and are both retired. How do you keep contact to the family members? Any recommendation for tools apart from calling of course?
That's really the main reason I use FB. For keeping in touch with my very large and very spread out family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement